Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 197

Thread: Restaurant refuses Iraq War Veteran and service dog

  1. #121
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Restaurant refuses Iraq War Veteran and service dog

    Quote Originally Posted by MadLib View Post
    Do you have any evidence that he was a scammer? In what way did he cheat the system?

    How do I know it is a scam? The dog does not do anything. It is a dog. It is not a pill that alters his brain's biochemistry that would calm him like a SSRI or a tranquilizer. The dog also is not a trained psychologist or behavioral therapist. It is a dog. It sits there and drools and perhaps barks. It is not going to talk him down or confront his feelings. In this case it is the same thing that could be accomplished by focusing on any inanimate object. So then it comes down to why have a dog over something like a plushie dog? You can do the same things with a plushie you do with a real dog in his case, and there would be only 2 differences. The first would be the plushie would react in a consistent manner, and the second is that the plushie is not against health codes. So why chose a dog? let us go to the extreme. Why not chose a skunk to do this with? Are we supposed to deal with a skunk because this guy cannot eat breakfast without his pal? No, the method is based upon an object that is not defined. So when you define the object you could put anything in there. So put something you can carry with you so you do not need to deal with this. This makes it a purposeful scam so he can carry his dog with him and skirt the rules. Now whether or not he is conscious of the scam, or he has deluded himself into thinking this is right does not make much difference to me.

  2. #122
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Restaurant refuses Iraq War Veteran and service dog

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Restaurant refuses Iraq War Veteran and service dog



    The owner is an asshole. PTSD is a serious mental condition that affects thousands of Americans every year.

    That aside: We are a society that has been trained to isolate victims of psychological illnesses, over diagnose and over medicate. It's all grounded in the amazing ignorance of the general populace and is in part the fault of less than ethical medical community who is willing to make a buck at the expense of gullible people. I have a person in my family with BP-II. It's NOT to be taken lightly. It's not something which disappears because of location. I can imagine what Mr. Glaser felt like after that incident. He probably felt disrespected at first, then hurt and finally isolated for his condition.

    So in conclusion: Fuck Russell Ireland and his ignorant bitch ass.

    This PSTD guy is nonsense......

    The guy doesn't need the dog....

    The guy is a retard..... "he rubs his magic dog and it all goes away" Seriously?

  3. #123
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,048

    Re: Restaurant refuses Iraq War Veteran and service dog

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Nick View Post
    This PSTD guy is nonsense......

    The guy doesn't need the dog....

    The guy is a retard..... "he rubs his magic dog and it all goes away" Seriously?
    Mr Nick, as somebody who has been proven to be illogical on many of their positions, you REALLY should learn to just let people with higher IQs debate from time to time. It saves bandwidth, avoids asinine posts and doesn't make your regularly scheduled level of trolling seem less obvious.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  4. #124
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,048

    Re: Restaurant refuses Iraq War Veteran and service dog

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    How do I know it is a scam? The dog does not do anything. It is a dog. It is not a pill that alters his brain's biochemistry that would calm him like a SSRI or a tranquilizer. The dog also is not a trained psychologist or behavioral therapist. It is a dog. It sits there and drools and perhaps barks. It is not going to talk him down or confront his feelings. In this case it is the same thing that could be accomplished by focusing on any inanimate object. So then it comes down to why have a dog over something like a plushie dog? You can do the same things with a plushie you do with a real dog in his case, and there would be only 2 differences. The first would be the plushie would react in a consistent manner, and the second is that the plushie is not against health codes. So why chose a dog? let us go to the extreme. Why not chose a skunk to do this with? Are we supposed to deal with a skunk because this guy cannot eat breakfast without his pal? No, the method is based upon an object that is not defined. So when you define the object you could put anything in there. So put something you can carry with you so you do not need to deal with this. This makes it a purposeful scam so he can carry his dog with him and skirt the rules. Now whether or not he is conscious of the scam, or he has deluded himself into thinking this is right does not make much difference to me.
    This is the last time I answer one of your asinine posts on this thread. You've already been exposed as not only a ignorant poster, but also an all around asshole. So here you go, hope this helps remove that large 2x4 shoved up your rectum:

    Pets for Depression and Health

    Studies show that animals can reduce tension and improve mood. Along with treatment, pets can help some people with mild to moderate depression feel better. If you're depressed, here's a rundown of how pets could help.
    How Pets Can Help Bipolar Disorder - Bipolar Disorder Center - Everyday Health

    Bucky also is trained to help Dykstra deal with the social withdrawal that can result from a depressive episode. "When I am feeling particularly depressed, I want to withdraw and interact with absolutely nobody," she says. "Part of my self-care and wellness plan is taking Bucky for walks in a very busy park. I have no choice then because he will interact with other people and draw me out. Little kids come up and say, 'Can I pet the baby Lassie?
    http://research.vet.upenn.edu/Portal...hite_paper.pdf

    The results of existing studies of animal-assisted interventions undoubtedly offer sufficient
    promise to warrant further empirical evaluation, and the researchers and practitioners who
    participated in the current project expressed a strong interest in collaborating in future studies of
    this type. Hopefully, the results of such collaborations will help to establish the true efficacy and
    effectiveness of these interventions in a wide range of therapeutic contexts.
    How support dogs are helping people to cope with mental health problems | Society | The Guardian

    Studies have shown that time with dogs helps to create feelings of security. Some people with agoraphobia report that they are no longer housebound because of such contact, and post-traumatic stress disorder can likewise be alleviated.
    These are medical studies, anecdotal evidence as well as general all around psychological advice explaining how both trained service dogs and contact with animals do help relieve some of the symptoms from mental illnesses. That you choose to ignore them is up to you. However, they're there. Either way, it doesn't really matter to me. You've already shown us you're not in this discussion to do anything than complain about how people with PTSD have more social skills than you do.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  5. #125
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Restaurant refuses Iraq War Veteran and service dog

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    This is the last time I answer one of your asinine posts on this thread. You've already been exposed as not only a ignorant poster, but also an all around asshole. So here you go, hope this helps remove that large 2x4 shoved up your rectum:

    Pets for Depression and Health



    How Pets Can Help Bipolar Disorder - Bipolar Disorder Center - Everyday Health



    http://research.vet.upenn.edu/Portal...hite_paper.pdf



    How support dogs are helping people to cope with mental health problems | Society | The Guardian



    These are medical studies, anecdotal evidence as well as general all around psychological advice explaining how both trained service dogs and contact with animals do help relieve some of the symptoms from mental illnesses. That you choose to ignore them is up to you. However, they're there. Either way, it doesn't really matter to me. You've already shown us you're not in this discussion to do anything than complain about how people with PTSD have more social skills than you do.
    You can make it through breakfast without that. We make exceptions because people need those animals to do physical things. Every pet owner feels better with their dog, that is not a reason to start letting them roam around restaurants. A blind man cannot see well enough to walk around the restaurant without his dog. A cripple cannot use their body well enough to get along without their aids. This guy can eat breakfast without a freakout. He might feel a little bit lonely, but suck it up.

  6. #126
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,048

    Re: Restaurant refuses Iraq War Veteran and service dog

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    You can make it through breakfast without that.
    Says you, the non-psychologist, non-psychiatrist, stranger who has no clue as to why this guy was diagnosed with PTSD to begin with or why he's been given a service dog. Spare us all your lack of knowledge of the subject.

    We make exceptions because people need those animals to do physical things.
    Depression in many of its forms can cripple a person to the point where they can't function physically.

    Every pet owner feels better with their dog, that is not a reason to start letting them roam around restaurants.
    This can't be the 1st time somebody in this thread has pointed out to you that service dogs aren't pets.

    A blind man cannot see well enough to walk around the restaurant without his dog.
    Tell me, do you spend a lot of time on these thoughts?

    A cripple cannot use their body well enough to get along without their aids. This guy can eat breakfast without a freakout.
    Cripples can operate forks, so can blind people. The blind can also walk with the use of canes. So by the standards set in your elegantly worded post, service dogs simply aren't necessary for anybody considering they can do most things without service dogs. Correct?

    He might feel a little bit lonely, but suck it up.
    I'll keep that in mind when I see you make little posts like this in support of gay marriage and transgendered rights:

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/sex-an...post1062116726

    it means you have no idea of the perceptions and feelings of a TG person because it is out of your range of experience.
    http://www.debatepolitics.com/sex-an...post1062238468

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/sex-an...post1062211308

    I'll basically start looking out for your posts supporting gay marriage, tell you that you should learn to deal with the fact most people aren't in favor, so you should learn to lead a lonely life and suck it up.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  7. #127
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Restaurant refuses Iraq War Veteran and service dog

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Says you, the non-psychologist, non-psychiatrist, stranger who has no clue as to why this guy was diagnosed with PTSD to begin with or why he's been given a service dog. Spare us all your lack of knowledge of the subject.
    Though standards are pretty low for insanity right now, I am pretty sure if you freak out over breakfast you are probably going to have to be locked up in a institution. I would be willing to be if you asked the guy if he could get through breakfast without his doggy his manhood would probably get him to answer yes.


    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Depression in many of its forms can cripple a person to the point where they can't function physically.
    We are not talking about keeping him from having a dog entirely. I am pretty sure he will be able to function without the pooch in eating establishments. If he is at that point where he is physically crippled from depression then it is time to put him in a facility for his own good. What if the dog gets run over, or dies of cancer, or just runs away? Then this guy is screwed and might feel bad. What happens if that happens to a blind man's service dog? Then the blind man cannot get around anymore safely. I have no problem with him having a therapy dog, but it is not a service animal.


    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    This can't be the 1st time somebody in this thread has pointed out to you that service dogs aren't pets.
    You are the ones who are lowing the bar so far that they are. I am the one trying to keep the bar up there so all pets do not become service animals because people feel depressed without them.



    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Tell me, do you spend a lot of time on these thoughts?
    Tell me, do you have an actual rebuttal?


    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Cripples can operate forks, so can blind people. The blind can also walk with the use of canes. So by the standards set in your elegantly worded post, service dogs simply aren't necessary for anybody considering they can do most things without service dogs. Correct?
    Wrong, a blind person cannot see as a dog does so the dog's sight is something a blind person needs. A cripple cannot grow a useful limb while in some place so they would need a service animal to help them. This guy is just sad. Where I hope he feels better, and am happy to help him get a dog if it makes him feel better, he can deal with the same rules as any pet owner.


    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    I'll keep that in mind when I see you make little posts like this in support of gay marriage and transgendered rights:

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/sex-an...post1062116726
    Those are two separate issues and I do not bargain for your support on other issues. If you are looking for someone to back you even when they think you are wrong just because you back them, I suggest you look somewhere else.


    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    http://www.debatepolitics.com/sex-an...post1062238468

    http://www.debatepolitics.com/sex-an...post1062211308

    I'll basically start looking out for your posts supporting gay marriage, tell you that you should learn to deal with the fact most people aren't in favor, so you should learn to lead a lonely life and suck it up.
    hey, if you are threatening to post stalk me in other areas because I don't like this, that is your malfunction, and you are really barking up the wrong tree. I do not get intimidated easy, and I don't require your approval. However, I do note the use of some very cheapo tactics.
    Last edited by tererun; 08-30-13 at 05:03 AM.

  8. #128
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:57 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,048

    Re: Restaurant refuses Iraq War Veteran and service dog

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    Though standards are pretty low for insanity
    Considering insanity is not a recognized mental illness - the only standards you're using are subjective ones. You see why I've been calling you ignorant from the beginning?

    We are not talking about keeping him from having a dog entirely. I am pretty sure he will be able to function without the pooch in eating establishments. If he is at that point where he is physically crippled from depression then it is time to put him in a facility for his own good. What if the dog gets run over, or dies of cancer, or just runs away? Then this guy is screwed and might feel bad. What happens if that happens to a blind man's service dog? Then the blind man cannot get around anymore safely.
    Well, thanks for your opinion, I'm sure it comes from the same place that states 'insanity' is a mental illness.

    I have no problem with him having a therapy dog, but it is not a service animal.
    Too bad so many health care professionals disagree with you.

    You are the ones who are lowing the bar so far that they are. I am the one trying to keep the bar up there so all pets do not become service animals because people feel depressed without them.
    Still can't grasp what PTSD is huh?

    Tell me, do you have an actual rebuttal?
    Considering all your posts have been thoroughly debunked and you've yet to provide a SINGLE source for your posts other than your nonsensical opinion, there isn't much to rebut.

    Wrong, a blind person cannot see as a dog does so the dog's sight is something a blind person needs.
    Considering many blind people can and do function without service dogs, they are not necessary. Again, YOUR standards, not mine.

    A cripple cannot grow a useful limb while in some place so they would need a service animal to help them.
    Considering many cripples can and do function without service dogs, again - they should no longer be considered service dogs. 2nd time your standard has backfired on you.

    This guy is just sad. Where I hope he feels better, and am happy to help him get a dog if it makes him feel better, he can deal with the same rules as any pet owner.

    Those are two separate issues and I do not bargain for your support on other issues. If you are looking for someone to back you even when they think you are wrong just because you back them, I suggest you look somewhere else.

    hey, if you are threatening to post stalk me in other areas because I don't like this, that is your malfunction, and you are really barking up the wrong tree. I do not get intimidated easy, and I don't require your approval. GHowever, I do not the use of some very cheapo tactics.
    I'm sorry - what is that? Are you being hypocritical? Look, gays are just being self-centred scam artists who want to get tax benefits. Their feelings and mental health are irrelevant. They're just whining because they can't have it their way.
    Last edited by Hatuey; 08-30-13 at 05:11 AM.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  9. #129
    Professor
    Baralis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    MO
    Last Seen
    12-05-17 @ 03:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    2,394
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Restaurant refuses Iraq War Veteran and service dog

    I do not feel that business owners should ever be forced to serve anyone they do not wish to conduct business with regardless of the reason no matter how absurd.

  10. #130
    Professor
    Shadow Serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Last Seen
    07-18-14 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: Restaurant refuses Iraq War Veteran and service dog

    Quote Originally Posted by TiredOfLife View Post
    I mean they are fine with that sign in a restaurant window, and they are.
    Libertarians do not support racism but support an owner having control of his own property. That said it is the law that people with service animals are to be allowed to bring them in a restaurant since it is necessary to compensate for their disability. Unfortunately, there is great fear of people with mental illness and it is possible that the owner of that establishment was acting on the fear. Also he may loathe people who are mentally ill either due thinking them are weak or just pretending for what ever preconceived reason the man may come up with.

    I will say this much that the mentally ill still suffer stigma in society still though not as badly as it was in the past. However it is not a topic that those who suffer mental illness will want to be open with generally. While the general population is aware to an extent that mental illness is something one cannot will themselves to mental health, there seem to be underlying assumptions on what mental illness really is since every one has off days but it is not a normal state that a person who never experienced mental illness would understand.

    Also it is not clear that the mentally ill are considered a protected class under the Equal Right Act. If this veteran did not have a service animal the owner may have been able to deny him service because of that.
    An Enlightened Master is ideal only if your goal is to become a Benighted Slave. -- Robert Anton Wilson

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •