Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 296

Thread: Navy ready to launch first strike on Syria

  1. #151
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Navy ready to launch first strike on Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by Canell View Post
    Is Congress going to at least discuss it, if not issue a declaration of war?



    Nope.

    First we'll have the war, then we'll think about a declaration.

    Right now the GOPers in the house are pretty busy trying to repeal Obamacare and make it stick, they'll probably be working on that until the next election.
    Last edited by shrubnose; 08-26-13 at 08:07 PM.

  2. #152
    Professor
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    11-30-13 @ 07:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,293

    Re: Navy ready to launch first strike on Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by Red_Dave View Post
    Nobody is saying we should invade Syria to solely to bring Assad to justice, the argument is that we should invade it due to the current and worsening humanitarian situation. Maybe we should invade France to avenge the revolutionary terror.
    And should they get around to doing anything, nearly everything they will have done will have been done in the past tense. Assuming any trace of chemical use can be found at all.

    Or say he stops using chemical munitions for two months, then starts up again. I don't think most people would consider that a new problem to deal with. Any more than the current situation is to previously reported chemical use. It's all one of the same.

    Don't get me wrong. I'm not advocating we do anything. We had some of the very same conditions listed in our reasons for war with Iraq and the left acted like they never existed, all for political reasons. What's going on in Syria could become very tough going and the left has a proven track record of the stunts they will do when the going gets tough. I'm not sure it's worth the trouble for America and especially our troops even if it's the right thing to do.
    "“If we don’t deepen our ports all along the Gulf — places like Charleston, South Carolina; or Savannah, Georgia; or Jacksonville, Florida…” -Obama

  3. #153
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Navy ready to launch first strike on Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    Nope.

    First we'll have the war, then we'll think about a declaration.

    Right now the GOPers in the house are pretty busy trying to repeal Obamacare and make it stick, they'll probably be working on that until the next election.
    Heya SN.....well that's what Kerry is alluding to. Russia is saying something else and standing on it.

    Western leaders mull military response in Syria



    Western leaders are discussing whether to stage a military response to last week's alleged chemical weapons attack in Syria. France and Germany, which refused to support the 2003 Iraq invasion, suggested Monday they may take part. Russia said any such intervention would violate international law.

    Secretary of State John Kerry says chemical weapons were used in Syria, accuses President Bashar Assad of destroying evidence, and says the U.S. has additional information about the attack and will soon make it public. Kerry calls the attack a "moral obscenity" that should shock the conscience of the world.

    RUSSIA

    "They cannot produce evidence, but keep on saying that the 'red line' has been crossed and they cannot wait any longer," he said at a Moscow news conference.....snip~

    Western leaders mull military response in Syria

  4. #154
    Libertarian socialist

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Staffs, England
    Last Seen
    12-13-17 @ 07:20 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    6,730

    Re: Navy ready to launch first strike on Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by ItAin'tFree View Post
    And should they get around to doing anything, nearly everything they will have done will have been done in the past tense. Assuming any trace of chemical use can be found at all.

    Or say he stops using chemical munitions for two months, then starts up again. I don't think most people would consider that a new problem to deal with. Any more than the current situation is to previously reported chemical use. It's all one of the same.

    Don't get me wrong. I'm not advocating we do anything. We had some of the very same conditions listed in our reasons for war with Iraq and the left acted like they never existed, all for political reasons. What's going on in Syria could become very tough going and the left has a proven track record of the stunts they will do when the going gets tough. I'm not sure it's worth the trouble for America and especially our troops even if it's the right thing to do.
    Saddam didn't do anything even approaching level of destruction seen in either the Al-Anfal campaign or whats happening in Syria after the establishment of the safe haven system. I would agree that these attacks were used as part of a long list of 'reasons Saddam Hussein is bad' but they were'nt the primary justification for the invasion, that intervention had already happened over a decade earlier and was largely supported across the political spectrum despite taking place (in part) under a Republican president. Surely you see the different in urgency here?

    Furthermore intervention in Syria will look a lot more like Kurdistan 1992 than Iraq 2003, no one worth their salt is considering an armed occupation.
    Last edited by Red_Dave; 08-26-13 at 08:54 PM.

  5. #155
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Navy ready to launch first strike on Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by APACHERAT View Post
    But unlike Obama, Bush replaced warriors with warriors.
    He replaced warriors with hawks.

  6. #156
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Navy ready to launch first strike on Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by APACHERAT View Post
    But unlike Obama, Bush replaced warriors with warriors.
    Heya Apache. And Putin knows it too.

    Russia's two-and-a-half year dispute with the West over the conflict in Syria hit a new peak Monday as Moscow warned against military action without UN approval and cast doubt over the regime's involvement in a claimed chemical weapons attack.

    A telephone call Monday between Russian President Vladimir Putin and British Prime Minister David Cameron underlined how far apart Moscow and the West were.

    With clamour growing in Western states for military action against Assad, Russia warned such intervention would destabilise the entire Middle East and be based on false reasoning.

    "If force is used without a UN resolution it will lead to very serious consequences in relations between Russia and the United States and its NATO partners," said Alexander Filonik, a Middle East expert at the Institute of Oriental Studies of the Russian Academy of Sciences.

    At a hastily called news conference Monday, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said any use of force against Syria without UN approval would be a "very grave violation of international law."

    He said ideas floated in the West about knocking out the regime's military infrastructure and helping hand victory to rebels were not just an "illusion" but a "grave mistake that will not lead to any peace, but only mark a new, even bloodier stage of the war in Syria."

    Taking military action against Assad would be a clear sign from the West that it does not want to take account of Moscow's opinion, Maria Lipman of the Carnegie Centre in Moscow told AFP.

    "Moscow could not let that go by without a response," she said, adding that Russia could hit back by strengthening military cooperation with the Assad regime.

    "London and Washington... just need a guilty verdict (on Assad). Any other verdict will be rejected," the head of the lower house of Russian parliament's foreign affairs committee, Alexei Pushkov, wrote on Twitter.....snip~

    Russia, West on collision course over Syria
    AFP – 4 hrs ago <<<<< More here.

  7. #157
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Navy ready to launch first strike on Syria

    Honestly, I could care less if Syrians chem each other. Let 'em. It doesn't threaten us in one single way. Idk where we get off being the moral police of the world but apparently, regardless of party, every POTUS believes we are. Almost every lefty on this thread wants to say that cruise missiles are different from troops. I'm pretty sure the Syrian mom/child on the other end of the ordinance would disagree. Both kill someone we shouldn't put ourselves in position to kill. Period. But, I wouldn't expect Pres Obama to receive the same treatment. When GW Bush wanted to go to Iraq for Desert Storm, only 11 Dems voted for it. The rest vehemently opposed. His son wanted to go to Iraq as well. After the initial "forced" vote that they had to do because of 9/11, they all switched up on him and began criticizing. Haven't heard that much with Pres Obama. Haven't heard the back biting on his partial surge in Afghanistan that didn't work. Haven't heard much about him dropping Hellfires on civilians. Didn't hear much about him bombing Libya and putting Delta Force in there. Didn't hear much about him violating Pakistan's sovereignty to get Bin Laden (to be fair, I was all about that as well). And now we're poised to go down the same road with Syria as we did with Iraq. Not hearing much about that. If anything should give us pause, it's that the war mongering John McCain is all about us doing something to Syria. I rest my case.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  8. #158
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Behind the Orange Curtain
    Last Seen
    01-30-15 @ 01:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    15,633

    Re: Navy ready to launch first strike on Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    Heya Apache. And Putin knows it too.

    Russia's two-and-a-half year dispute with the West over the conflict in Syria hit a new peak Monday as Moscow warned against military action without UN approval and cast doubt over the regime's involvement in a claimed chemical weapons attack.

    A telephone call Monday between Russian President Vladimir Putin and British Prime Minister David Cameron underlined how far apart Moscow and the West were.

    With clamour growing in Western states for military action against Assad, Russia warned such intervention would destabilise the entire Middle East and be based on false reasoning.

    "If force is used without a UN resolution it will lead to very serious consequences in relations between Russia and the United States and its NATO partners," said Alexander Filonik, a Middle East expert at the Institute of Oriental Studies of the Russian Academy of Sciences.

    At a hastily called news conference Monday, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said any use of force against Syria without UN approval would be a "very grave violation of international law."

    He said ideas floated in the West about knocking out the regime's military infrastructure and helping hand victory to rebels were not just an "illusion" but a "grave mistake that will not lead to any peace, but only mark a new, even bloodier stage of the war in Syria."

    Taking military action against Assad would be a clear sign from the West that it does not want to take account of Moscow's opinion, Maria Lipman of the Carnegie Centre in Moscow told AFP.

    "Moscow could not let that go by without a response," she said, adding that Russia could hit back by strengthening military cooperation with the Assad regime.

    "London and Washington... just need a guilty verdict (on Assad). Any other verdict will be rejected," the head of the lower house of Russian parliament's foreign affairs committee, Alexei Pushkov, wrote on Twitter.....snip~

    Russia, West on collision course over Syria
    AFP – 4 hrs ago <<<<< More here.
    Syria using sarin gas doesn't make any sense, it would only benefit the rebels. Now the rebels have a lot to gain using gas and making it look like Syria used the gas.

    I don't trust the Saudis, Qatar or the Frogs. After over four years of one lie after another lie I can no longer trust a word coming from the Obama administration. It's pretty bad when you can't even trust the accuracy of when the unemployment and GDP numbers are released. "It was all about a video." How stupid does Obama think Americans are ? Only 52 % of Americans are stupid.

    Where are our carriers ? Why isn't their a CSG in the 6th Fleet AOR ? The past eleven Presidents always were able to keep a carrier in the Med 24/7. One carrier in on station in the 5th Fleet AOR. One is not where it's suppose to be, but is in the 7th Fleet AOR because the carrier that is suppose to be assigned to the 7th Fleet is broken down in Japan.

    Earlier last month I listened to the Chief of Naval Operations explain how bad of shape our Navy is in under Obama, that the Navy's carrier that is suppose to be the "surge" carrier in case WW lll broke out can't "surge" (deploy) because the sailors aren't up to par in training for deployment. I suppose instead of training for deployment they find themselves sitting in classrooms attending mandatory sensitivity training instead of training for war.

  9. #159
    Sage
    Bodhisattva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Zealand
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:22 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    64,083

    Re: Navy ready to launch first strike on Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineTpartier View Post
    Honestly, I could care less if Syrians chem each other. Let 'em. It doesn't threaten us in one single way. Idk where we get off being the moral police of the world but apparently, regardless of party, every POTUS believes we are. Almost every lefty on this thread wants to say that cruise missiles are different from troops. I'm pretty sure the Syrian mom/child on the other end of the ordinance would disagree. Both kill someone we shouldn't put ourselves in position to kill. Period. But, I wouldn't expect Pres Obama to receive the same treatment. When GW Bush wanted to go to Iraq for Desert Storm, only 11 Dems voted for it. The rest vehemently opposed. His son wanted to go to Iraq as well. After the initial "forced" vote that they had to do because of 9/11, they all switched up on him and began criticizing. Haven't heard that much with Pres Obama. Haven't heard the back biting on his partial surge in Afghanistan that didn't work. Haven't heard much about him dropping Hellfires on civilians. Didn't hear much about him bombing Libya and putting Delta Force in there. Didn't hear much about him violating Pakistan's sovereignty to get Bin Laden (to be fair, I was all about that as well). And now we're poised to go down the same road with Syria as we did with Iraq. Not hearing much about that. If anything should give us pause, it's that the war mongering John McCain is all about us doing something to Syria. I rest my case.
    I am sick of us picking and choosing who to invade and trying to justify it with political bull****. If we were the moral elitist cops that we appear to be we would invade EVERY country in violation of human rights violation and that would be all over the world. It would be WWIII.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I have pooped in public, even in public neighborhoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldFatGuy View Post
    Usually a gag for wise mouthed insulting little girls. Then some good nylon rope so I can tie them up, toss them in the trunk of my car and forget about them.

  10. #160
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Last Seen
    10-14-15 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    56,981

    Re: Navy ready to launch first strike on Syria

    Quote Originally Posted by APACHERAT View Post
    Syria using sarin gas doesn't make any sense, it would only benefit the rebels. Now the rebels have a lot to gain using gas and making it look like Syria used the gas.

    I don't trust the Saudis, Qatar or the Frogs. After over four years of one lie after another lie I can no longer trust a word coming from the Obama administration. It's pretty bad when you can't even trust the accuracy of when the unemployment and GDP numbers are released. "It was all about a video." How stupid does Obama think Americans are ? Only 52 % of Americans are stupid.

    Where are our carriers ? Why isn't their a CSG in the 6th Fleet AOR ? The past eleven Presidents always were able to keep a carrier in the Med 24/7. One carrier in on station in the 5th Fleet AOR. One is not where it's suppose to be, but is in the 7th Fleet AOR because the carrier that is suppose to be assigned to the 7th Fleet is broken down in Japan.

    Earlier last month I listened to the Chief of Naval Operations explain how bad of shape our Navy is in under Obama, that the Navy's carrier that is suppose to be the "surge" carrier in case WW lll broke out can't "surge" (deploy) because the sailors aren't up to par in training for deployment. I suppose instead of training for deployment they find themselves sitting in classrooms attending mandatory sensitivity training instead of training for war.
    Yeah well Idris lied.....he can't control Al Nusra. Plus they already released that they wont accept the National Council. Al Nusra executed a FSA Commander. Idris said he would guarantee that Weapons wont fall into the hands of the Extremists. Then Right after he said it. Al Nusra went and took what they wanted. Even his own people said they will give Al Nusra what they want. How much more blatant do they and the Salafists have to be?

    This is ridiculous to for us to try and get involved in this. But Johnny Quest McCain and Corker are thinking surgical strike.

Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •