Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 112

Thread: Senior Administration Official: ‘Very Little Doubt’ Assad Regime Behind Alleged Chemi

  1. #51
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Senior Administration Official: ‘Very Little Doubt’ Assad Regime Behind Alleged C

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    Now, that's a good idea and it could happen.

    A good idea? There are no innocents there in your mind I suppose!

  2. #52
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: Senior Administration Official: ‘Very Little Doubt’ Assad Regime Behind Alleged C

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    A good idea? There are no innocents there in your mind I suppose!
    I think that the question should be do we trust Obama as a CIC in the event that this now regional conflict turns global with our entry? I don't think that Obama has the balls to be in charge of the 8th grade flag squad much less the US military in a World War.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #53
    Sage
    Montecresto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    03-13-16 @ 11:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    24,561

    Re: Senior Administration Official: ‘Very Little Doubt’ Assad Regime Behind Alleged C

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    I think that the question should be do we trust Obama as a CIC in the event that this now regional conflict turns global with our entry? I don't think that Obama has the balls to be in charge of the 8th grade flag squad much less the US military in a World War.
    Obama's qualifications to launch another illegal attack, or abuse another UN resolution are irrelevant.

  4. #54
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Senior Administration Official: ‘Very Little Doubt’ Assad Regime Behind Alleged C

    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    And your vision for Russia and China?
    Quote Originally Posted by Montecresto View Post
    No Wise man would speak such insanity. You taking personal responsibility for another hundred thousand dead civilians to our bombing. What is the matter with people.
    Why do you think it would result in a hundred thousand civilian deaths?

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Which side?
    The regime obviously.

    Quote Originally Posted by obvious Child View Post
    Look who made those comments. Wiseone, you know perfectly why they fabricated an outright lie and then attributed it to you. Some of us though, do realize that certain members here are anything but honest. You never said anything about indiscriminate bombings.


    You lost me at special ops. We should put exactly zero boots on the ground. All operations can be conducted from ships or from regional bases flying drones. We should risk exactly zero lives in this operation.
    So let's start launching cruise missiles at military bases as well as doing the whole Kosovo metal scraps into power plants and transformer stations griefing to disrupt all power. Both can be done without risking any NATO lives.
    Well I understand what you mean but I think these rebels, unlike those in Libya, need advisors on the ground to help them establish a true working government they haven't really come together the way they did in Libya and they need to achieve that if they are going to "win the peace" after the war.

    Also even just conducting flights over Syria is risking lives, you can't establish a no-fly zone without your own aircraft in the area. A missile may be able to blow up a building hundreds of miles away, but you'll never shoot down an aircraft from that far off.

  5. #55
    Sage
    VanceMack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,663

    Re: Senior Administration Official: ‘Very Little Doubt’ Assad Regime Behind Alleged C

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    Why do you think it would result in a hundred thousand civilian deaths?



    The regime obviously.



    Well I understand what you mean but I think these rebels, unlike those in Libya, need advisors on the ground to help them establish a true working government they haven't really come together the way they did in Libya and they need to achieve that if they are going to "win the peace" after the war.

    Also even just conducting flights over Syria is risking lives, you can't establish a no-fly zone without your own aircraft in the area. A missile may be able to blow up a building hundreds of miles away, but you'll never shoot down an aircraft from that far off.
    Do we know they even did it? Where they the ones responsible for gas use in March? And if we choose sides against 'the regime' arent we siding with the same people that are murdering civilians for the crime of not agreeing with them or being Christian? Is there a side of 'angels' here? ANd what DOES that response look like? Since we are committed to act and Biden has said it is an absolute certain it is Assad that is the guilty party do we put boots on the ground or launch a few hundred cruise missiles blow up a few empt buildings...cuz that'll show em...

  6. #56
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    30n x 90w
    Last Seen
    11-27-13 @ 09:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,192

    Re: Senior Administration Official: ‘Very Little Doubt’ Assad Regime Behind Alleged C

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    Ya I know that many of these rebel groups are Islamist in nature, there's no denying the sensitivity of this situation where a bad move can lead to a bad outcome or we experience a Libya-like situation where a moderate and friendly government is in power but has trouble fully controlling its territory. But the outcomes from doing nothing are in my opinion far far far worse, war hardens people, it makes people less tolerate, more extreme, more acceptable of unwanted behavior and the longer this conflict goes on the more extreme the rebel Islamist groups will get and the more extreme the Assad government is going to get.
    Why is this any of our business?
    Where do we intervene next?

    Colombia?
    Somalia?
    Yemen?
    Pakistan?
    Sudan?
    Phillippines?
    Korea?
    Kashmir?
    Burma?
    Nigeria?
    Peru?
    Uganda?
    Angola?
    Lebanon?
    The Congo?

    etc...etc... All these places are in conflict/civil war..and some of them involve "a moderate and friendly government (that) is in power but has trouble fully controlling its territory" as you say.
    Why not send troops/bomb all these places?

    You really think we can stop human beings from fighting worldwide and peace and harmony will occur and everyone will get free lollypops and balloons and unicorn rides and suddenly see the error of their ways and thank us for showing them?
    Are you above the age of 19?
    No, seriously..Be realistic.


    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    We need to get in there, back the moderate groups, give them advice and assistance, help them build the workings of a post-war government that can provide for its people and naturally attract people away from the extremist groups who will not be able to provide the functions of government as well. And we need to make sure we can provide more, assist better, and back folks that can offer a better solution than the extremist groups or the other groups, some of which are the same, that other middle eastern governments are backing.

    Meaningless, idealistic, unworkable platitudes.

    Various factions in the ME have been fighting for 5000 years or more and leaders of various nations have intervened for 5000 years..nothing has changed and nothing will.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    The worst thing that can be done, and what I fear is being done, is taking action that only ultimately serves to extend the conflict, assistance that we are giving is not enough to decisively change the outcome at this point, that only serves to protract the conflict and drive more and more people to extremist positions or extremists groups.
    Anything we do will "extend the conflict", whichever side we support or arm. There will always be conflict in the ME and the more we interfere, the more enemies WE make and the more bitter the "losers" that we DIDN'T back will become.

    This S**t is none of our business and intervening won't solve a single thing...as history demonstrates again and again...and again.

  7. #57
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Last Seen
    11-16-13 @ 05:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    2,817

    Re: Senior Administration Official: ‘Very Little Doubt’ Assad Regime Behind Alleged C

    We made the Middle East our business. Now we are stuck.

  8. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Ft. Campbell, KY
    Last Seen
    12-31-14 @ 08:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    12,177

    Re: Senior Administration Official: ‘Very Little Doubt’ Assad Regime Behind Alleged C

    Quote Originally Posted by VanceMack View Post
    Do we know they even did it? Where they the ones responsible for gas use in March? And if we choose sides against 'the regime' arent we siding with the same people that are murdering civilians for the crime of not agreeing with them or being Christian? Is there a side of 'angels' here? ANd what DOES that response look like? Since we are committed to act and Biden has said it is an absolute certain it is Assad that is the guilty party do we put boots on the ground or launch a few hundred cruise missiles blow up a few empt buildings...cuz that'll show em...
    Its more than just the use of chemical waepons, its about not letting the situation grow any more out of control, and not letting radicals take over power on both sides even more than they already have. Also I personally don't hold people responsible for the crimes of others, if some of these rebel groups have murdered civilians for not supporting them or for being Christian than obviously those are not the groups we want to support. But I'm not going to lump everyone together and pretend all the rebel groups are the same, I made it pretty clear that we should support the moderates to marginalize those kind of people.

    Its not about "showing them" is about removing them from power and replacing them with a friendlier more moderate government and putting an end to this conflict which is only growing more religious by the day and its fighters only more extreme in their views as it goes on.

  9. #59
    Professor
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    11-30-13 @ 07:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,293

    Re: Senior Administration Official: ‘Very Little Doubt’ Assad Regime Behind Alleged C

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiseone View Post
    Its more than just the use of chemical waepons, its about not letting the situation grow any more out of control, and not letting radicals take over power on both sides even more than they already have. Also I personally don't hold people responsible for the crimes of others, if some of these rebel groups have murdered civilians for not supporting them or for being Christian than obviously those are not the groups we want to support. But I'm not going to lump everyone together and pretend all the rebel groups are the same, I made it pretty clear that we should support the moderates to marginalize those kind of people.

    Its not about "showing them" is about removing them from power and replacing them with a friendlier more moderate government and putting an end to this conflict which is only growing more religious by the day and its fighters only more extreme in their views as it goes on.
    Just who are these "moderates" that can put an end to this conflict and please tell me they have not already aligned themselves with terror groups?

    Oh that's right, Obama blew his chance at that by doing nothing for so long. Never mind.
    "“If we don’t deepen our ports all along the Gulf — places like Charleston, South Carolina; or Savannah, Georgia; or Jacksonville, Florida…” -Obama

  10. #60
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,732

    Re: Senior Administration Official: ‘Very Little Doubt’ Assad Regime Behind Alleged C

    Quote Originally Posted by TiredOfLife View Post
    We made the Middle East our business. Now we are stuck.
    Companies made oil our business for cheap products. The Middle East has oil which goes to India and China who make us cheap stuff. If they have higher costs, then we have higher costs. We made cheap goods our business. My $0.02.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •