Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast
Results 371 to 380 of 420

Thread: 89 Year Old WWII Veteran Beaten and Left for Dead Dies

  1. #371
    Advisor Nynaeve Meara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Malkier
    Last Seen
    11-05-13 @ 04:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    325

    Re: WWII Vet, 88, brutally beaten in Spokane, Wash.

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    You make a lot of these "absolute" assertions, without any back-up links or sources, like when declaring the bolded above. Perhaps you can go to the Lowe's website and show us that a 2X4 is roughly 25% more in Chicago, IL than in Rapid City, SD. Pick some other "everyday" items if you like (say toilet paper, soda pop or frozen pizza), that are sold and advertised (as normal prices) by the same national chain of stores in both cities.
    Sure, I can pretty easily prove it, here is a washer in Sioux Falls price, pls notice the rebate portion.
    Maytag 3.6 cu ft High Efficiency Top-Load Washer (White) ENERGY STAR
    Rating 4.46 out of 5 stars (516 Reviews)
    $539.10
    Up to $125 in Rebates
    Was: $599.00
    Save 10% thru 08/27/2013
    Here is the exact same washer in Chicago:
    Maytag 3.6 cu ft High Efficiency Top-Load Washer (White) ENERGY STAR
    Rating 4.46 out of 5 stars (516 Reviews)
    $539.10
    Was: $599.00
    Save 10% thru 08/27/2013
    So they give you an additional $125 in rebates in Sioux Falls which is roughly 24% off. On top of that here is a cost of living calculator you can find on CNN Money.
    Cost of Living Calculator: Compare the Cost of Living in Two Cities - CNNMoney

    They didn't have Rapid City so I had to select Sioux Falls, but Rapid City has a lower cost of living than Sioux Falls.

    Making $50,000 in SF comparable salary in Chicago, IL $59,062(20% diff roughly) for the same job, depending upon industry of course its actually closer to 25-30% when I was in Chicago. Granted this was five years ago.
    Price difference in Chicago, IL

    Groceries 21%more
    Housing 56%more
    Utilities 5%less (Only thing labeled as less, and this is less true depending upon where in Chi you live.)
    Transportation 24%more
    Health Care 13%more
    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    You seem to say that poverty is somehow worse (more apt to "cause" crime) if those around you make more, yet have never shown that to be the case. Poverty is not "worse" in Chicago than in New York City, Dallas or Houston than yet the murder rates are different.
    Poverty is worse in Chicago than NYC and Huston.

    Chicago poverty level is at 27% as of 2009
    NYC poverty level is sitting at 19% as of 2009 (less crime than Chicago)
    Dallas poverty level is at 30% as of 2009 (worse crime than Chicago btw)
    Houston poverty level is at 27% as of 2009. (worse crime than Chicago)

    This is the reason I laugh when people compare Chicago crime rate as somehow the worst in the nation, there are lots of other cities with much higher crime rates and higher poverty rates, IE Detroit(44% poverty rate) than Chicago. You take away the ability for people to lawfully acquire necessities and you will increase the crime rate because poverty also decreases the education level, due not being able to afford the supplies required for schools and making children work as opposed to attend school (high school/college). Which would also increase the drug abuse and not just illegal drugs.
    "I can't abide women who poke their noses into other people's business."
    “Men are strange. I think it has something to do with the hair on their chins.”

  2. #372
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: WWII Vet, 88, brutally beaten in Spokane, Wash.

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Because more people want to live in Chicago. Supply of land and housing units vs the demand for them causes the prices to go up. Cost of living in a major city is always higher because of market economics, not because of Democrats. That is the dumbest excuse I've ever heard.

    Tell me, when Rudy Giuliani was mayor of New York, wasn't the cost of living still pretty high?
    Yeah, theres some truth to that, but there is also some truth to progressive policies, and taxes that drive those costs as well...It was just a thought.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #373
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: WWII Vet, 88, brutally beaten in Spokane, Wash.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nynaeve Meara View Post
    Sure, I can pretty easily prove it, here is a washer in Sioux Falls price, pls notice the rebate portion.

    Here is the exact same washer in Chicago:


    So they give you an additional $125 in rebates in Sioux Falls which is roughly 24% off. On top of that here is a cost of living calculator you can find on CNN Money.
    Cost of Living Calculator: Compare the Cost of Living in Two Cities - CNNMoney

    They didn't have Rapid City so I had to select Sioux Falls, but Rapid City has a lower cost of living than Sioux Falls.

    Making $50,000 in SF comparable salary in Chicago, IL $59,062(20% diff roughly) for the same job, depending upon industry of course its actually closer to 25-30% when I was in Chicago. Granted this was five years ago.


    Poverty is worse in Chicago than NYC and Huston.

    Chicago poverty level is at 27% as of 2009
    NYC poverty level is sitting at 19% as of 2009 (less crime than Chicago)
    Dallas poverty level is at 30% as of 2009 (worse crime than Chicago btw)
    Houston poverty level is at 27% as of 2009. (worse crime than Chicago)

    This is the reason I laugh when people compare Chicago crime rate as somehow the worst in the nation, there are lots of other cities with much higher crime rates and higher poverty rates, IE Detroit(44% poverty rate) than Chicago. You take away the ability for people to lawfully acquire necessities and you will increase the crime rate because poverty also decreases the education level, due not being able to afford the supplies required for schools and making children work as opposed to attend school (high school/college). Which would also increase the drug abuse and not just illegal drugs.
    So, just to get this straight, are you saying that crime is excusable as long as one can claim that they are impoverished? I think that is excuse making. IMHO.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  4. #374
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,251

    Re: 89 Year Old WWII Veteran Beaten and Left for Dead Dies

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    What's to blame is that most states fund
    schools locally. So the places with higher property values have better schools.

    State governments can fix that, but don't.
    Wrong AGAIN.

    It has nothing to do with "better funded " schools.

    It's a ridiculous, simplistic one dimensional excuse to blame it on a lack of money.

    Higher income neighborhoods are filled with higher educated parents, and FAMILIES, who nurture their children from a young age and through school.

    They apply the age old and proven tactics that produce well adjusted and educated adults and they emphasize education, and Higher education.

    I live right between two small towns out side of Houston. Freindswood and Pearland. The distinction between the two school districts has nothing to do with money because Pearland has more, they allow large bussinesses to add to their growing revenue.

    But Friendswood is a city of Homes, strictly zoned to keep out large bussinesses and it has excellent schools, some of the States best.

    There is also Bellaire Hogh School. Bellaire is a small city surrounded by Houston and its school is part of the Houston Independent School District.

    Comapre Bellaire's students to another school in HISD, Flemming Jr High. Same School district, different cultures.

    Its culture, not money for the millionth time as the neighborhoods that struggle get fed some corrupt variation of the excuse you just made and continue to struggle.

  5. #375
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,251

    Re: 89 Year Old WWII Veteran Beaten and Left for Dead Dies

    Quote Originally Posted by Nynaeve Meara View Post
    Sure, I can pretty easily prove it, here is a washer in
    Sioux Falls price, pls notice the rebate
    portion.

    Here is the exact same washer in Chicago:


    So they give you an additional $125 in rebates in Sioux Falls which is roughly 24% off. On top of that here is a cost of living calculator you can find on CNN Money.
    Cost of Living Calculator: Compare the Cost of Living in Two Cities - CNNMoney

    They didn't have Rapid City so I had to select Sioux Falls, but Rapid City has a lower cost of living than Sioux Falls.

    Making $50,000 in SF comparable salary in Chicago, IL $59,062(20% diff roughly) for the same job, depending upon industry of course its actually closer to 25-30% when I was in Chicago. Granted this was five years ago.


    Poverty is worse in Chicago than NYC and Huston.

    Chicago poverty level is at 27% as of 2009
    NYC poverty level is sitting at 19% as of 2009 (less crime than Chicago)
    Dallas poverty level is at 30% as of 2009 (worse crime than Chicago btw)
    Houston poverty level is at 27% as of 2009. (worse crime than Chicago)

    This is the reason I laugh when people compare Chicago crime rate as somehow the worst in the nation, there are lots of other cities with much higher crime rates and higher poverty rates, IE Detroit(44% poverty rate) than Chicago. You take away the ability for people to lawfully acquire necessities and you will increase the crime rate because poverty also decreases the education level, due not being able to afford the supplies required for schools and making children work as opposed to attend school (high school/college). Which would also increase the drug abuse and not just illegal drugs.
    Your data poverty is 3 years old and Chicago actually has a higher violent crime rate than Houston.

    High crime areas are that way becausr criminals chose to live there, not because something's been "taken away".

    The City leaders of Detroit and their thug associates ripped that city off for years and several are still in prison for their multiple crimes.

    No one "took away " jobs and opportunities. That cities drove out jobs and opportunities with high taxes and corruption.

  6. #376
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,573

    Re: WWII Vet, 88, brutally beaten in Spokane, Wash.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nynaeve Meara View Post
    Sure, I can pretty easily prove it, here is a washer in Sioux Falls price, pls notice the rebate portion.

    Here is the exact same washer in Chicago:


    So they give you an additional $125 in rebates in Sioux Falls which is roughly 24% off. On top of that here is a cost of living calculator you can find on CNN Money.
    Cost of Living Calculator: Compare the Cost of Living in Two Cities - CNNMoney

    They didn't have Rapid City so I had to select Sioux Falls, but Rapid City has a lower cost of living than Sioux Falls.

    Making $50,000 in SF comparable salary in Chicago, IL $59,062(20% diff roughly) for the same job, depending upon industry of course its actually closer to 25-30% when I was in Chicago. Granted this was five years ago.


    Poverty is worse in Chicago than NYC and Huston.

    Chicago poverty level is at 27% as of 2009
    NYC poverty level is sitting at 19% as of 2009 (less crime than Chicago)
    Dallas poverty level is at 30% as of 2009 (worse crime than Chicago btw)
    Houston poverty level is at 27% as of 2009. (worse crime than Chicago)

    This is the reason I laugh when people compare Chicago crime rate as somehow the worst in the nation, there are lots of other cities with much higher crime rates and higher poverty rates, IE Detroit(44% poverty rate) than Chicago. You take away the ability for people to lawfully acquire necessities and you will increase the crime rate because poverty also decreases the education level, due not being able to afford the supplies required for schools and making children work as opposed to attend school (high school/college). Which would also increase the drug abuse and not just illegal drugs.
    The poverty rate in New York City increased from 19% tp 21% in 2012; rising in each year, as was the income gap, yet the crime rate in NYC was falling in each of those years.

    New York City Poverty Rate Rises As Gap Between Rich And Poor Widens

    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/29/ny...york.html?_r=0

    Crime in New York City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Chicago has third highest extreme poverty rate in the nation | Chicago Muckrakers

    The "extreme" poverty rate in Chicago ranks 3rd worst among all cities in the U.S., yet the cities of Philidelphia, PA and Phoenix, AZ are even worse. If your poverty theory were correct than we would expect that these poorer cities would have higher crime rates.

    Chicago crime rate (per 1,000 residents) Murder .16 Rape ??? Robbery 5.17 Assault 4.59

    Philly crime rate (per 1,000 residnets) Murder .21 Rape .54 Robbery 5.37 Assault 5.77

    Pheonix crime rate (per 1,000 residents) Murder .08 Rape .38 Robbery 2.27 Assault 2.79

    That appears to the case for Philadelphia, PA but not for Phoenix, AZ (by a long shot, at that) - so we must examine why. What makes Phoenix so different (relative to crime rates) than either Chicago or Philadelphia even though it has worse extreme poverty?

    Population racial breakdown perhaps? (using 2010 census data):

    Chicago, IL White 45.0% Black 32.9%

    Philadelphia, PA White 36.9% Black 41.6%

    Phoenix, AZ White 65.9% Black 6.5%
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  7. #377
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: WWII Vet, 88, brutally beaten in Spokane, Wash.

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Yeah, theres some truth to that, but there is also some truth to progressive policies, and taxes that drive those costs as well...It was just a thought.
    It is an unalterable fact that the more money that goes into the pockets of the government, the less money there is in the pockets of the people.

  8. #378
    Advisor Nynaeve Meara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Malkier
    Last Seen
    11-05-13 @ 04:23 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    325

    Re: WWII Vet, 88, brutally beaten in Spokane, Wash.

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    So, just to get this straight, are you saying that crime is excusable as long as one can claim that they are impoverished? I think that is excuse making. IMHO.
    I didn't say that. However, when people become desperate crime goes up and that goes hand in hand with poverty.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Your data poverty is 3 years old and Chicago actually has a higher violent crime rate than Houston.

    High crime areas are that way becausr criminals chose to live there, not because something's been "taken away".

    The City leaders of Detroit and their thug associates ripped that city off for years and several are still in prison for their multiple crimes.

    No one "took away " jobs and opportunities. That cities drove out jobs and opportunities with high taxes and corruption.
    It is three years old, but the rates haven't changed much in the past three years. Houston and Dallas still have higher crime rates than Chicago. You'll find pockets of less crime throughout each city of course. However the steady trend holds.

    Again, desperation caused by poverty will increase crime rates due to lowered education standards and drug abuse with lower education.

    Your opinion of Detroit is noted, but doesn't fit with the facts there are many reasons why that city is in trouble. The simplification you provided is insulting.

    Opinion statement, I disagree with your assessment.

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    The poverty rate in New York City increased from 19% tp 21% in 2012; rising in each year, as was the income gap, yet the crime rate in NYC was falling in each of those years.

    New York City Poverty Rate Rises As Gap Between Rich And Poor Widens

    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/29/ny...york.html?_r=0

    Crime in New York City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    Chicago has third highest extreme poverty rate in the nation | Chicago Muckrakers

    The "extreme" poverty rate in Chicago ranks 3rd worst among all cities in the U.S., yet the cities of Philidelphia, PA and Phoenix, AZ are even worse. If your poverty theory were correct than we would expect that these poorer cities would have higher crime rates.

    Chicago crime rate (per 1,000 residents) Murder .16 Rape ??? Robbery 5.17 Assault 4.59

    Philly crime rate (per 1,000 residnets) Murder .21 Rape .54 Robbery 5.37 Assault 5.77

    Pheonix crime rate (per 1,000 residents) Murder .08 Rape .38 Robbery 2.27 Assault 2.79

    That appears to the case for Philadelphia, PA but not for Phoenix, AZ (by a long shot, at that) - so we must examine why. What makes Phoenix so different (relative to crime rates) than either Chicago or Philadelphia even though it has worse extreme poverty?

    Population racial breakdown perhaps? (using 2010 census data):

    Chicago, IL White 45.0% Black 32.9%

    Philadelphia, PA White 36.9% Black 41.6%

    Phoenix, AZ White 65.9% Black 6.5%
    I'm confused as to what you are saying? Phoenix has lower poverty rates than Chicago... Philly has more thus more crime. Are you reading some statistics wrong?
    "I can't abide women who poke their noses into other people's business."
    “Men are strange. I think it has something to do with the hair on their chins.”

  9. #379
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: WWII Vet, 88, brutally beaten in Spokane, Wash.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nynaeve Meara View Post
    I didn't say that. However, when people become desperate crime goes up and that goes hand in hand with poverty.
    Not so sure that is the case anymore....The three teens that shot the aussie in the back, stated that they did it because they were "bored", not poor....Another example is that I don't think that the teens in Chicago, turning that place into a war zone, are doing such because they are poor....That is just the excuse they will use, like 'you can't blame me, I had a bad childhood...'
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #380
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:23 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,251

    Re: 89 Year Old WWII Veteran Beaten and Left for Dead Dies

    Quote Originally Posted by Nynaeve Meara View Post
    I didn't say that.
    However, when people become desperate crime goes up and that goes hand in hand with poverty.

    It is three years old, but the rates haven't changed much in the past three years. Houston and Dallas still have higher crime rates than Chicago. You'll find pockets of less crime throughout each city of course. However the steady trend holds.

    Again, desperation caused by poverty will increase crime rates due to lowered education standards and drug abuse with lower education.

    Your opinion of Detroit is noted, but doesn't fit with the facts there are many reasons why that city is in trouble. The simplification you provided is insulting.

    Opinion statement, I disagree with your assessment.



    I'm confused as to what you are saying? Phoenix has lower poverty rates than Chicago... Philly has more thus more crime. Are you reading some statistics wrong?
    If the rates haven't changed "that much" well then why don't you post them ?

    Why are you posting 2009 data whan you have access to 2013 data ?

Page 38 of 42 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •