Page 36 of 42 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 420

Thread: 89 Year Old WWII Veteran Beaten and Left for Dead Dies

  1. #351
    Guru
    Diogenes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Seen
    10-11-13 @ 06:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,980

    Re: WWII Vet, 88, brutally beaten in Spokane, Wash.

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    I would say that is not true, and would point to minority population, effectivness of law enforcement and gang activity instead. Gun control efforts have very little to do with reducing gun (ab)use, just a recreational drug control efforts have very little to do with reducing recreational drug (ab)use.
    The correlation I noticed was that strict gun control laws imply more crime since it is the victims who are then disarmed. Criminals pay no attention to the laws, and are thus given a distinct advantage.
    "We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
    - Abraham Lincoln

  2. #352
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:45 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,343

    Re: WWII Vet, 88, brutally beaten in Spokane, Wash.

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    I think you're missing the point that the cost of living in South Dakota is a lot less than that in Chicago. Just the housing is a BIG part of it. Most people spend about 1/3 of their monthly income on housing.
    Well, then maybe the question should be all things being equal, why is the cost of living so much higher in a city like Chicago, as compared to a Rapid City? Could it be that policies, and taxes in a demo/progressive stronghold like Chicago drive costs up, and keep the poor from moving up?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #353
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: WWII Vet, 88, brutally beaten in Spokane, Wash.

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    Unlike some, I'm not going to put words ins someone else's mouth. There must be an agenda though, this is Debate Politics, not "Hey, here's some statistics I found."
    Yes. it's debate politics so lets debate. It's not right to say there is some 'secret agenda' going on without speaking to that agenda.

    I would say that you are circling the problem rather than getting at the truth and that is a serious part of the problem in race relations today. Until everyone gathers together and admits where the problems exist rather than trotting out the familiar excuses then things will never change. Why would they?

  4. #354
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:26 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,693

    Re: WWII Vet, 88, brutally beaten in Spokane, Wash.

    Quote Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
    The correlation I noticed was that strict gun control laws imply more crime since it is the victims who are then disarmed. Criminals pay no attention to the laws, and are thus given a distinct advantage.
    More liberal dreaming that by making something illegal that criminals will no longer do it. The problem is the near total lack of enforcement of existing laws and sentencing "guidelines". How often do we read of the "extensive" prior criminal history when one of these thugs makes the news for a really outrageous crime? People act shocked that thugs and criminals tend to continue (or even get more bold) once they learn of the nearly non-existant consequences of their actions in our criminal "just us" system.

    Felons sentenced to a State prison in 2000 had an average sentence of 4 1/2 years but were likely to serve 55% of that sentence - or just 2 1/2 years - before release, assuming that 2000 release policies continue in effect.
    Criminal Sentencing Statistics

    http://bjsdata.ojp.usdoj.gov/content...df/PSATSFV.PDF

    http://edr.state.fl.us/Content/resou...stice/cj25.pdf
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  5. #355
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: WWII Vet, 88, brutally beaten in Spokane, Wash.

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    But this still does not change the fact that, even though the murder was committed by 2 black teens, this does not have to be a racist murder. Until the evidence of such a reason exists, it is wrong to race-bate (not accusing you, a general observation) the case. If the murder happened due to racism we can discuss that at the appropriate time IMHO.
    And yet, despite the fact that George Zimmerman was having his head bashed in by Trevon Martin many jumped at the idea that it was a 'racist' murder. Why are people so quick to judge one way and not the other?

  6. #356
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,191

    Re: WWII Vet, 88, brutally beaten in Spokane, Wash.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Yes. it's debate politics so lets debate. It's not right to say there is some 'secret agenda' going on without speaking to that agenda.

    I would say that you are circling the problem rather than getting at the truth and that is a serious part of the problem in race relations today. Until everyone gathers together and admits where the problems exist rather than trotting out the familiar excuses then things will never change. Why would they?
    I've said what I think his position is, and he denies it. Therefore, I'm waiting for him to state what that position is rather than throwing **** at the wall to see what sticks.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  7. #357
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: WWII Vet, 88, brutally beaten in Spokane, Wash.

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    And yet whenever someone says that those statistics prove that poverty is a driving factor, you turn it back away from any interpretation of the facts other than race. That's not honest discussion.
    Because there is no evidence to suggest that any of these murders were committed out of financial need. If they were without food or shelter there are facilities and help available. There was no reason to murder anyone, unless you are talking poverty of the soul.

  8. #358
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,191

    Re: WWII Vet, 88, brutally beaten in Spokane, Wash.

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Well, then maybe the question should be all things being equal, why is the cost of living so much higher in a city like Chicago, as compared to a Rapid City? Could it be that policies, and taxes in a demo/progressive stronghold like Chicago drive costs up, and keep the poor from moving up?
    Because more people want to live in Chicago. Supply of land and housing units vs the demand for them causes the prices to go up. Cost of living in a major city is always higher because of market economics, not because of Democrats. That is the dumbest excuse I've ever heard.

    Tell me, when Rudy Giuliani was mayor of New York, wasn't the cost of living still pretty high?


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  9. #359
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,191

    Re: WWII Vet, 88, brutally beaten in Spokane, Wash.

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Because there is no evidence to suggest that any of these murders were committed out of financial need. If they were without food or shelter there are facilities and help available. There was no reason to murder anyone, unless you are talking poverty of the soul.
    These murders, no. General crime numbers are a different story.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  10. #360
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,191

    Re: WWII Vet, 88, brutally beaten in Spokane, Wash.

    Quote Originally Posted by P. Kersey View Post
    We've been over this before and you know it. Those statistics by themselves don't prove any of what you claim.
    Those statistics only prove that negroes commit disproportionate amounts of crime.
    I'm just going to leave that and let people judge that statement on its merits.

    Black people commit more crimes is your position. Why do you think they do? What is the reason for that, in your mind?


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

Page 36 of 42 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •