Page 35 of 42 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast
Results 341 to 350 of 420

Thread: 89 Year Old WWII Veteran Beaten and Left for Dead Dies

  1. #341
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,026

    Re: WWII Vet, 88, brutally beaten in Spokane, Wash.

    Quote Originally Posted by Imnukingfutz View Post
    I think the Oprah story got the attention of the media because it fit into the agenda of black people are discriminated against. The funny thing about the story involving her is that when it was found out she lied about it when the store owner fought back with the truth, the media dropped the story...never condemning her for her lie....Im sorry, she is a Liberal...they never said anything about her "mis-remembering" the incident How many people are aware of that? The media certainly didnt inform the public of it.

    The problem with the media is if the story does not fit into their given agenda they try their best not to report on it.
    I disagree with you. If Oprah was not famous than nobody would have noticed/cared. And like it or not, discrimination is a very nasty thing. Especially if you are the victim of discrimination.

    And the truth? I was not in the store, you were not in the store. Oprah felt discriminated against and maybe she was but it could be a misunderstanding due to language barriers.

    But this still does not change the fact that, even though the murder was committed by 2 black teens, this does not have to be a racist murder. Until the evidence of such a reason exists, it is wrong to race-bate (not accusing you, a general observation) the case. If the murder happened due to racism we can discuss that at the appropriate time IMHO.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  2. #342
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,159

    Re: WWII Vet, 88, brutally beaten in Spokane, Wash.

    Quote Originally Posted by P. Kersey View Post
    My "agenda" is to use proven facts as the basis for honest discussions.
    And yet whenever someone says that those statistics prove that poverty is a driving factor, you turn it back away from any interpretation of the facts other than race. That's not honest discussion.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  3. #343
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,159

    Re: WWII Vet, 88, brutally beaten in Spokane, Wash.

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Actually it is. I know it is hard for you to believe, but yes; they use the same federal income tax laws in SD as they do in IL and they have the same federal poverty level in those two places as well. I will bet that, other than for housing costs, most things cost about the same in both of those places, even a Happy Meal, a roll of toilet paper or a 2X4 board.

    Are you trying to say that a low skilled job (e.g. fast food worker/retail cashier) pays over twice as much in IL as it does in SD?
    I think you're missing the point that the cost of living in South Dakota is a lot less than that in Chicago. Just the housing is a BIG part of it. Most people spend about 1/3 of their monthly income on housing.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  4. #344
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,612

    Re: WWII Vet, 88, brutally beaten in Spokane, Wash.

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    So poor people and SS retirees (those on fixed incomes) are simply idiots to stay in these high cost of living areas?
    I wouldn't call them idiots, but most people on fixed incomes live in areas that are not as expensive. My husband is a disabled vet, and an Army retiree. His income is a good income, but it's fixed. We have talked about living in Alaska, or NYC, but the cost of living is too high. It works itself out usually, because if you live in Alaska or NYC, the cost of living is higher, so it balances out because the wages are higher. But with someone on a fixed income, you would want to live somewhere with a much lower cost of living, because you aren't getting that higher wage to compensate for the higher cost of living.

    I live in southeast Coastal Georgia. I live in a brand new 2,500sf house. We designed it and had it built last year. We paid $158K for it. It's a pretty little house, in a nice, clean, gated subdivision. I watch this show on HGTV called "House Hunters" and I am amazed at what I am living in, for this price, compared to what others are paying in other parts of the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

  5. #345
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,612

    Re: WWII Vet, 88, brutally beaten in Spokane, Wash.

    Also, in states where the cost of living is much higher than other states, the welfare payouts are considerably higher as well. That's why low income families flock to those states - because they get more money (because the cost of living is higher).
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

  6. #346
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,580

    Re: WWII Vet, 88, brutally beaten in Spokane, Wash.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nynaeve Meara View Post
    Actually no it isn't. They do have the same federal income tax laws in SD as they do in IL but that doesn't mean anything when the cost of living is roughly 25% higher in Chicago than it is in SD. That is for every day items as well. The only thing that comes even close to the cost of living in Chicago as Rapid City is the utilities and even that is still 10% higher than SD.

    So yes, you aren't comparing apples to apples here, more like apples to pears(this being South Dakota).

    Its in the same food category but that is as close as it comes.
    You make a lot of these "absolute" assertions, without any back-up links or sources, like when declaring the bolded above. Perhaps you can go to the Lowe's website and show us that a 2X4 is roughly 25% more in Chicago, IL than in Rapid City, SD. Pick some other "everyday" items if you like (say toilet paper, soda pop or frozen pizza), that are sold and advertised (as normal prices) by the same national chain of stores in both cities.

    You seem to say that poverty is somehow worse (more apt to "cause" crime) if those around you make more, yet have never shown that to be the case. Poverty is not "worse" in Chicago than in New York City, Dallas or Houston than yet the murder rates are different.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  7. #347
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,580

    Re: WWII Vet, 88, brutally beaten in Spokane, Wash.

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    I think you're missing the point that the cost of living in South Dakota is a lot less than that in Chicago. Just the housing is a BIG part of it. Most people spend about 1/3 of their monthly income on housing.
    So what? If the salaries are "adjusted" for local cost of living then their is still little (or no) relative difference.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  8. #348
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    30n x 90w
    Last Seen
    11-27-13 @ 09:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,192

    Re: WWII Vet, 88, brutally beaten in Spokane, Wash.

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    And yet whenever someone says that those statistics prove that poverty is a driving factor, you turn it back away from any interpretation of the facts other than race. That's not honest discussion.
    We've been over this before and you know it. Those statistics by themselves don't prove any of what you claim.
    Those statistics only prove that negroes commit disproportionate amounts of crime.

    I don't pretend to know why every criminal commits a crime (and you don't know either) and I don't really care what excuses you invent to rationalize it.
    I'm not concerned with trying to "interpret" the reasons.
    Committing a crime is a choice. No one forces anyone to commit crimes.

  9. #349
    Guru
    Diogenes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Seen
    10-11-13 @ 06:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,980

    Re: WWII Vet, 88, brutally beaten in Spokane, Wash.

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    You seem to say that poverty is somehow worse (more apt to "cause" crime) if those around you make more, yet have never shown that to be the case. Poverty is not "worse" in Chicago than in New York City, Dallas or Houston than yet the murder rates are different.
    It seems to me that there is a stronger correlation between strict gun control laws and crime than between poverty and crime.
    "We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
    - Abraham Lincoln

  10. #350
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,580

    Re: WWII Vet, 88, brutally beaten in Spokane, Wash.

    Quote Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
    It seems to me that there is a stronger correlation between strict gun control laws and crime than between poverty and crime.
    I would say that is not true, and would point to minority population, effectivness of law enforcement (especially the criminal justice system) and gang activity instead. Gun control efforts have very little to do with reducing gun (ab)use, just a recreational drug control efforts have very little to do with reducing recreational drug (ab)use.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

Page 35 of 42 FirstFirst ... 253334353637 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •