Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 121

Thread: Bill Clinton foundation has spent more than $50M on travel expenses

  1. #61
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,253

    Re: Bill Clinton foundation has spent more than $50M on travel expenses

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Oh man! $50 million? That is truly 1%er figures.....I wonder when OWS will camp on their doorstep?....Private Jets, Flying 'students', multiple international trips for Hillary, and Chelsea....Liberals have the nerve to furl their brow's when an SUV passes by, yet I am sure this carbon foot print is ok for them....
    How many jobs did that create?
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  2. #62
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,158

    Re: Bill Clinton foundation has spent more than $50M on travel expenses

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Why not?

    Can you identify anything on the Republican side that even remotely compares to a party primarying out its Vice-President nominee in the next election cycle? If the Republicans in Wisconsin primary out Paul Ryan, then you might have a point.
    I promise you Paul Ryan would be primaried if he became a vocal advocate of Obamacare in the House.

    This is the difference...Lieberman was SOOOOO far off on a subject that was central to a lot of Liberals. He constantly voted as an Independent on a lot of issues and that was fine...but the Iraq War was something that Liberals felt strongly about at the time. He didn't just vote for the war but was a staunch supporter of it.

    In the Republican party there's a laundry list of issues that will lead to being primaried. From immigration to fiscal issues to gun control. Every issue unless you completely walk the party line can lead to a primary. Hell...compromising and dealing in order to make government work is a means for being Primaried. Sen McConnell...whose basically been orchestrating the longest running most capable obstruction of Senate Democrats for 6 years is facing a tough primary battle.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  3. #63
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,180

    Re: Bill Clinton foundation has spent more than $50M on travel expenses

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    I promise you Paul Ryan would be primaried if he became a vocal advocate of Obamacare in the House.

    This is the difference...Lieberman was SOOOOO far off on a subject that was central to a lot of Liberals. He constantly voted as an Independent on a lot of issues and that was fine...but the Iraq War was something that Liberals felt strongly about at the time. He didn't just vote for the war but was a staunch supporter of it.

    In the Republican party there's a laundry list of issues that will lead to being primaried. From immigration to fiscal issues to gun control. Every issue unless you completely walk the party line can lead to a primary. Hell...compromising and dealing in order to make government work is a means for being Primaried. Sen McConnell...whose basically been orchestrating the longest running most capable obstruction of Senate Democrats for 6 years is facing a tough primary battle.
    Sorry, that doesn't fly one bit - if voting for and supporting the Iraq war was sooooooooooo verboten by liberals and their party elites, why weren't more Democrats primaried out? Could it be that Libermann wore his religion just a little too much for the "big tenters" to stand? Could it be that they couldn't attack Gore, so Libermann was the only one they could punish for losing to that satanic Bush?

    Your attempts to make-over Democrats and liberals as tolerant of any desention in their ranks is ridiculous.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  4. #64
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,158

    Re: Bill Clinton foundation has spent more than $50M on travel expenses

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    Sorry, that doesn't fly one bit - if voting for and supporting the Iraq war was sooooooooooo verboten by liberals and their party elites, why weren't more Democrats primaried out? Could it be that Libermann wore his religion just a little too much for the "big tenters" to stand? Could it be that they couldn't attack Gore, so Libermann was the only one they could punish for losing to that satanic Bush?

    Your attempts to make-over Democrats and liberals as tolerant of any desention in their ranks is ridiculous.
    Actually I pointed out that it's not just because he voted for it (which quite a few Dems did) he was a vocal supporter of it until he retired. In fact he was primaried out by an "anti-war" candidate.

    As for the "party elites" he was nominated in convention for the Democratic Senate Seat again the year he lost his primary. The other candidate got enough % of the delegates that it triggered a primary contest.

    As for what you wrote...you have no idea what you're talking about. i'm curious where you're getting your information because if anything it sounds like rightwing spin which seems typical on this site. When Conservatives seem to talk about Liberals or the Democratic party they seem to have absolutely NO real knowledge of the party.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  5. #65
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Bill Clinton foundation has spent more than $50M on travel expenses

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    I'm not disowning him. The Democratic party is a big tent that is typically socially liberal but on economic concerns range from leftist to extreme centrist.
    From leftists to 'extreme centrists', huh?

    Only a seriously deluded Leftist could possibly call a centrist 'extreme'.

  6. #66
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Bill Clinton foundation has spent more than $50M on travel expenses

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Oh man! $50 million? That is truly 1%er figures.....I wonder when OWS will camp on their doorstep?....Private Jets, Flying 'students', multiple international trips for Hillary, and Chelsea....Liberals have the nerve to furl their brow's when an SUV passes by, yet I am sure this carbon foot print is ok for them....

    Remember friends, the rules that a liberal progressive lays out for you never is meant to apply to themselves....



    That's correct, and no one should forget it.

    When there is any change, we'll let the world know. Until then keep a close eye on the far right and don't worry about what the left is up to.

  7. #67
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,180

    Re: Bill Clinton foundation has spent more than $50M on travel expenses

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    Actually I pointed out that it's not just because he voted for it (which quite a few Dems did) he was a vocal supporter of it until he retired. In fact he was primaried out by an "anti-war" candidate.

    As for the "party elites" he was nominated in convention for the Democratic Senate Seat again the year he lost his primary. The other candidate got enough % of the delegates that it triggered a primary contest.

    As for what you wrote...you have no idea what you're talking about. i'm curious where you're getting your information because if anything it sounds like rightwing spin which seems typical on this site. When Conservatives seem to talk about Liberals or the Democratic party they seem to have absolutely NO real knowledge of the party.
    I grant you that I have no first hand knowledge of the inner workings of the Democrat party - I hate getting dirty. I do know many liberals, though - actually have a lot in my family tree - therefore, I know how they exist and operate.

    As for the vote on the Iraq war, 29 Democrat senators voted in favor of the action, 21 opposed. Are you saying that only one Democrat senator, Joe Libermann, did so from conviction, believing it the right thing to do, speaking up in favor of the action, and the other 28 voted in favor for political reasons, to protect their reelections or to avoid criticism? How proud of them you must be, how proud you must be to be a Democrat with such leadership.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

  8. #68
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,158

    Re: Bill Clinton foundation has spent more than $50M on travel expenses

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    From leftists to 'extreme centrists', huh?

    Only a seriously deluded Leftist could possibly call a centrist 'extreme'.
    Or someone that understands what words mean.

    utmost or exceedingly great in degree:
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  9. #69
    Sage
    AliHajiSheik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,360

    Re: Bill Clinton foundation has spent more than $50M on travel expenses

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    I'm not disowning him. The Democratic party is a big tent that is typically socially liberal but on economic concerns range from leftist to extreme centrist.

    Remember "Welfare to Work"...or how about the "Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act"?

    The Democratic party is not the Republican party. There's no lock step marching orders that everyone has to adhere to or you're primaried. In fact the "left" is marginalized in the Democratic party (for economics) because the big Wall Street socially liberal investors have so much sway.
    I was nodding my head while I was reading your post and then I read: "but on economic concerns range from leftist to extreme centrist." That is the most tortured term I've seen used in a long time. Face it, many Democrats are conservative economically--it's OK to use the word conservative.

  10. #70
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Bill Clinton foundation has spent more than $50M on travel expenses

    Lieberman was not kicked out of the DNC.

    He lost a primary, so he left the DNC
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •