Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 230

Thread: Diplomats in Benghazi Debacle Back on Job

  1. #61
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Diplomats in Benghazi Debacle Back on Job

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    With what money and what people? Do you know how much defense you would have to have in such a place to keep it secure?
    Then you do what the Brits and the Red Cross did - you get your people out. If you don't do that though you become responsible for their safety. The idea that it costs to much to protect them is a callous and cheap argument.

  2. #62
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Last Seen
    10-20-13 @ 04:50 AM
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,195

    Re: Diplomats in Benghazi Debacle Back on Job

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Then you do what the Brits and the Red Cross did - you get your people out. If you don't do that though you become responsible for their safety. The idea that it costs to much to protect them is a callous and cheap argument.
    Suddenly money matters to liberals when it comes to saving lives in Benghazi

    It doesn't matter when it comes to Food Stamps and Welfare for surfer bums in La Jolla. Obama spares no expense to make sure he can sit around on his !@# all day and do nothing.

    Priorities

  3. #63
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Diplomats in Benghazi Debacle Back on Job

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Then you do what the Brits and the Red Cross did - you get your people out. If you don't do that though you become responsible for their safety. The idea that it costs to much to protect them is a callous and cheap argument.
    That is a valid argument, but that was not the choice that was made, and many other presidents have made similar choices with worse results. It is an incident and not a scandal. However, feel free to encourage your elected representatives to pull back from such risky things and stop sticking their nose in every other country's business. I am cool with that.

  4. #64
    Professor
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    11-30-13 @ 07:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,293

    Re: Diplomats in Benghazi Debacle Back on Job

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    Well then make the argument next time. lol is not an argument.


    I completely agree. however, the argument is not about the attack, but rather the reasons those people were put in harms way. We are pretty well aware of a lot of those reasons. We want diplomatic relations and a trade partner. We want access to any natural resources they have like oil. We want a customer for our guns. We want a pawn which we can use in the area. We want to have access to the country to hunt down terrorists. These are nothing new. The only new thing is we are doing it in libya. obama did not start this, and this is pretty much SOP for our government, and sometimes it hurts us. Sometimes it blows up in our faces like on 9/11 2001. Those reasons have been good enough to sacrifice lives in foreign embassies in the past, why are they now so bad for you?


    I have said it was a gamble that did not work out. I never denied that. It's security was what it was at the time. There was no way short of an invasion to secure it. Any extra people would have been extra bodies given the attack force size. What I am saying is your argument should be against diplomatic relations with libya and not an Obama screw up which there was no way to do safely. That is an argument the benghazy detractors do not want to make because they know and agree with the reasons those men were put in such a dangerous place.
    My argument is it is an Obama screw up. From the very start. Libya was out of the terrorist business, it's not now. Libya was a external threat to nobody, not the case now, trouble has already slipped past it's borders into near by countries. Libya posed no real or pretend threat to our vital national interest. Just another problem Obama created.
    "“If we don’t deepen our ports all along the Gulf — places like Charleston, South Carolina; or Savannah, Georgia; or Jacksonville, Florida…” -Obama

  5. #65
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Diplomats in Benghazi Debacle Back on Job

    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    That is a valid argument, but that was not the choice that was made, and many other presidents have made similar choices with worse results. It is an incident and not a scandal. However, feel free to encourage your elected representatives to pull back from such risky things and stop sticking their nose in every other country's business. I am cool with that.
    Right. That choice was not made. Instead the choice was made to let them die, which is why their should be a public inquiry.

  6. #66
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Diplomats in Benghazi Debacle Back on Job

    Quote Originally Posted by ItAin'tFree View Post
    My argument is it is an Obama screw up. From the very start. Libya was out of the terrorist business, it's not now. Libya was a external threat to nobody, not the case now, trouble has already slipped past it's borders into near by countries. Libya posed no real or pretend threat to our vital national interest. Just another problem Obama created.
    His witless Sec. of State took responsibility for those deaths, and so she should, but it was the head buffoon who should have been involved in the decision making process as well. Would any American soldier want to fight under the command of either of these people? And how many 4-star Generals have been lost since this neophyte became President?

  7. #67
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Diplomats in Benghazi Debacle Back on Job

    Quote Originally Posted by ItAin'tFree View Post
    My argument is it is an Obama screw up. From the very start. Libya was out of the terrorist business, it's not now. Libya was a external threat to nobody, not the case now, trouble has already slipped past it's borders into near by countries. Libya posed no real or pretend threat to our vital national interest. Just another problem Obama created.
    If you consider the very real point that we did not free libya, nor were the deciding factors of it's liberation then your entire complaint falls apart because the UN would have assisted anyway, and toppled kadaffy. I do agree that had the world watched while kadaffi put the uprising down the country would be much more stable now. Obama is not the first president to help out with killing a despot only to find the people are not ready to control the country. A difference between libya and iraq is at least are not committed to years and years of war and occupation and all that crap. I will give the points to Obama on that one for getting the job done without the quagmire of an invasion.

  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Diplomats in Benghazi Debacle Back on Job

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Right. That choice was not made. Instead the choice was made to let them die, which is why their should be a public inquiry.
    First, a choice to let people die is made by every president. You cannot save every person on foreign soil simply because other countries do not want to allow the US military to act on their soil. It tends to strain alliances. It should also be noted that the actual reason we did not go in was because we would have had to send troops into invade a foreign nation as an act of war to accomplish it because the libyans were not going to allow the US military to act on their soil. It is all simple when you are just complaining, but a president has to deal with other countries who do not want the US military just driving through their neighborhoods blowing crap up to save 4 people. Yes, there is a reality it is let those 4 people die because a war would have been many more people.

  9. #69
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: Diplomats in Benghazi Debacle Back on Job

    Plus there was not troops to send in time. When the scandal part started Faux was saying there was an armed drone overhead and an AC 130 close by. It has got down to there was few troops, literally, at another American interest, and they were told to stay put. A reasonable order.
    Quote Originally Posted by tererun View Post
    First, a choice to let people die is made by every president. You cannot save every person on foreign soil simply because other countries do not want to allow the US military to act on their soil. It tends to strain alliances. It should also be noted that the actual reason we did not go in was because we would have had to send troops into invade a foreign nation as an act of war to accomplish it because the libyans were not going to allow the US military to act on their soil. It is all simple when you are just complaining, but a president has to deal with other countries who do not want the US military just driving through their neighborhoods blowing crap up to save 4 people. Yes, there is a reality it is let those 4 people die because a war would have been many more people.
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

  10. #70
    Sage
    mak2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Last Seen
    07-08-16 @ 01:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,050

    Re: Diplomats in Benghazi Debacle Back on Job

    Another poster once mentioned the RWers have a "cartoonish" idea of America's military power. We just didnt have assets to send that probably wouldn't die too.
    God Bless the Marine Corps.

Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •