Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 82

Thread: Former Disney star Lee Thompson Young commits suicide at 29

  1. #61
    Cheese
    Aunt Spiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sasnakra
    Last Seen
    09-10-16 @ 06:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,433

    Re: Former Disney star Lee Thompson Young commits suicide at 29

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    To you. To them, who knows? If they want to be helped, great. If they do not, it's not your job to impose "help" upon them. It's not up to you to determine how long another human being on this planet lives, regardless of your personal, emotional attachment to them. This guy was 29 years old, an adult, he ought to be able to make his own decisions.



    That you're reacting entirely emotionally? No, that's quite clear. The problem is that so many people seem to have a major problem with over-emotionalizing, any time anyone dies, they freak out like it's the end of the world. In reality, it isn't about someone else's demise, it's about their own fear of death, projected onto others.



    But you're the one projecting onto him. Apparently he saw a reason to die because he killed himself. He didn't do it for no reason. Just because you don't agree with his reasons doesn't mean those reasons didn't exist, or were not valid to him.



    But you only have control for so long, after which, they're adults and get to make their own decisions. Some people don't want to go on living. That's just the way it is. Some people just act stupidly and end up dead as a result. That's also just the way it is. My grandfather died in his 60s because he was a diabetic and refused to take care of himself. My father died in his 60s because he spent a certain amount of his life smoking (we don't know for sure how long, he hid it for decades) and got cancer. As much as I miss them both, I have no right to force my views on either of them and force them to act in accordance to my wishes. They were adults, they made their own choices, they paid the consequences for them.

    That's really the issue, so many people are terrified of death that whenever anyone dies, even someone they've never met, they freak out instead of just accepting the inevitable conclusion that death is a natural part of life. I get that a lot of people have a strong emotional reaction to the thought of dying, but to take that to the extreme of claiming that other people, people they don't even personally know, have to live by a particular set of dictates that keep them alive, even if they don't want to be, just so the individual can feel good about not dying, is a bit absurd, wouldn't you say?
    Look, whatever. You don't value someone's life like other people do.

    My husband gave me the same blabby pro-suicide speech when we met because he recently went through a failed suicide attempt and felt it was his right, and that he had no reason to live, no one would miss him, his life was 100% his own.

    Now he has four children and a wife and all sorts of positive **** going on, and though life's been hard, it's still been good. He's glad someone else saved his ass when he slit his wrist even when he wanted to die.

    Don't think someone's life matters to you - then whoop dee doo. Be on the pro-suicide list all you want.
    A screaming comes across the sky.
    It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.
    Pynchon - Gravity's Rainbow

  2. #62
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Former Disney star Lee Thompson Young commits suicide at 29

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    been there done that, I have suffered severe case of clinical depression on a couple of occasions when I was younger, never thought of actually offing myself.
    Did you recognize you had the disease and were you able to get proper help?

  3. #63
    double secret probation AngryOldGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Phx,Az
    Last Seen
    03-31-14 @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,917

    Re: Former Disney star Lee Thompson Young commits suicide at 29

    yeah never had much sympathy for these folks, they lead a life millions would die for
    Like Oscar I love that show, it will be interesting to see how the rewrite the season's finale to 'kill off' Detective Frost
    I am curious why he'd do it though I mean c'mon wtf?

  4. #64
    double secret probation AngryOldGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Phx,Az
    Last Seen
    03-31-14 @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,917

    Re: Former Disney star Lee Thompson Young commits suicide at 29

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    never thought of actually offing myself
    I've got the pistola right here with one up the pipe I might blast myself upon the slightest provocation, Dont push me, cos Im close to the edge, Im trying not to lose my head. heh heh ha hah

  5. #65
    global liberation

    ecofarm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Miami
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    66,325

    Re: Former Disney star Lee Thompson Young commits suicide at 29

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    Too many people on this planet anyway so if someone can't handle it and wants to check out early then that's fine with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    I don't get why anyone thinks this, or any suicide, is a tragedy. If someone doesn't want to live anymore, why should they be forced to, so long as it's their own choice in the matter?
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryOldGuy View Post
    yeah never had much sympathy for these folks, they lead a life millions would die for
    I find this to be an articulate explanation:

    No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main; if a clod be washed away by the sea, Europe is the less, as well as if a promontory were, as well as if a manor of thy friend's or of thine own were; any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    John Donne. Meditation 17. [No man is an island... For whom the bell tolls, etc.]

  6. #66
    Mod Conspiracy Theorist
    rocket88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    A very blue state
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,140

    Re: Former Disney star Lee Thompson Young commits suicide at 29

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    That's why I asked. It doesn't really change the argument, but fine, he was on a current TV show. Are you really upset because it messes with your TV viewing schedule?
    Personally, it makes very little difference to me. It sounds cold, but I never really watched anything he was in. But you asked if he'd done anything since he was a teen, and I answered.

    It is sad because he was young and was apparently good enough at acting to have regular work.


    Quote Originally Posted by Jetboogieman View Post
    This issue has been plowed more times than Paris Hilton.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oborosen View Post
    Too bad we have to observe human rights.

  7. #67
    double secret probation AngryOldGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Phx,Az
    Last Seen
    03-31-14 @ 10:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    2,917

    Re: Former Disney star Lee Thompson Young commits suicide at 29

    I've tuned into every last episode of Rizzoli & Isles to leer at Sasha Alexander & drool over Angie Harmon, oh the show is good too
    mebbe in the days ahead the underlying cause of this young man's demise will surface mebbe not.

  8. #68
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Former Disney star Lee Thompson Young commits suicide at 29

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    I know the feeling of wanting to go. For me the tipping point was almost when my wife left and took the kids. In my mind, my life was over, at least the life I had constructed for myself. And I was right - it was over. Now I'm trying to figure out what kind of new life I'm going to re-construct.
    I'm not always sure I'll be able to keep from doing anything. I'm OK now, but I just have this gut feeling that someday...well, someday I simply won't win that battle.
    This is not uncommon and the feeling inner loneliness and lack of worth can easily become too intense for any individual to handle on their own.

    Their are many people who have suffered from the same sickness and have recovered. Seeking help may be the best and bravest thing you will ever do, and you should do it soon, You'll be surprised how you will be welcomed and how understanding others can be. Then you may one day be in the situation to help others.

  9. #69
    Educating the Ignorant
    zimmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:10 AM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,384
    Blog Entries
    12

    Re: Former Disney star Lee Thompson Young commits suicide at 29

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Artist are a moody bunch, whether its acting, singing painting it doesn't matter.
    Speaking from experience?

    I know a number of artists in both Europe and North America, and had one in the family. Most are down to earth, happy-go-lucky types. They're doing what they want. How many people really get to do that? Of course, there are those who are as described... like Alec Baldwin, but that thread of misery runs through just about every walk of life.

    Sad to hear about the suicide, though I have no idea who this person is. They had to be in a deep hole... which reminds me of one of my many favorite songs.

    Last edited by zimmer; 08-20-13 at 05:27 AM.
    The Clintons are what happens...
    when you have NO MORAL COMPASS.

  10. #70
    Sage
    chromium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A2
    Last Seen
    06-05-17 @ 10:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    16,968

    Re: Former Disney star Lee Thompson Young commits suicide at 29

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    Pretty sad. Dying at 29 is sad, period. Add to that a dream career and it's even sadder. I would suspect that he had some sort of mental illness or seemingly intolerable recent life events. And, in the end, people ultimately commit suicide when the difficultly and pain they experience exceeds the coping mechanisms they have. This is why it's essential that people with depression and other mental illnesses get treatment - so that they can learn how to cope with the pain and difficulties that result from their mental illness so that it doesn't overcome them.
    Treatment doesn't always work. Otherwise I'd agree. He didn't find life worthwhile anymore, possibly because of failed treatment, and that's the tragedy.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •