Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 82

Thread: Former Disney star Lee Thompson Young commits suicide at 29

  1. #41
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Former Disney star Lee Thompson Young commits suicide at 29

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    She's perfectly entitled to feel bad, she had a personal relationship with him. You didn't, unless there's something about you we don't know.
    People feel bad for people they don't know all the time. It's called sympathy and empathy. This is basic human stuff here, Cephus. If someone doesn't have the capacity to feel for people they don't know, there is a problem.

  2. #42
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,792

    Re: Former Disney star Lee Thompson Young commits suicide at 29

    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Spiker View Post
    Because if my kids have problems I can help them fix it - killing yourself when you have 80 years left in life is ridiculous and senseless.
    To you. To them, who knows? If they want to be helped, great. If they do not, it's not your job to impose "help" upon them. It's not up to you to determine how long another human being on this planet lives, regardless of your personal, emotional attachment to them. This guy was 29 years old, an adult, he ought to be able to make his own decisions.

    I've dealt with this twice in the last year with my two older children. Guess what? They're worlds better, now. Turns out that what had them falling apart was manageable as long as they had proper support. Though I actually had to make a rule that they weren't allowed to hurt their selves in any way. I have to actually explain this to you?
    That you're reacting entirely emotionally? No, that's quite clear. The problem is that so many people seem to have a major problem with over-emotionalizing, any time anyone dies, they freak out like it's the end of the world. In reality, it isn't about someone else's demise, it's about their own fear of death, projected onto others.

    It's a tragedy to die for no reason just because you don't see a way out or someone else doesn't care about you.
    But you're the one projecting onto him. Apparently he saw a reason to die because he killed himself. He didn't do it for no reason. Just because you don't agree with his reasons doesn't mean those reasons didn't exist, or were not valid to him.

    I didn't bring my children into the world so that same world can crush them. I brought them into the world so they can struggle and come out better for it in the end.
    But you only have control for so long, after which, they're adults and get to make their own decisions. Some people don't want to go on living. That's just the way it is. Some people just act stupidly and end up dead as a result. That's also just the way it is. My grandfather died in his 60s because he was a diabetic and refused to take care of himself. My father died in his 60s because he spent a certain amount of his life smoking (we don't know for sure how long, he hid it for decades) and got cancer. As much as I miss them both, I have no right to force my views on either of them and force them to act in accordance to my wishes. They were adults, they made their own choices, they paid the consequences for them.

    That's really the issue, so many people are terrified of death that whenever anyone dies, even someone they've never met, they freak out instead of just accepting the inevitable conclusion that death is a natural part of life. I get that a lot of people have a strong emotional reaction to the thought of dying, but to take that to the extreme of claiming that other people, people they don't even personally know, have to live by a particular set of dictates that keep them alive, even if they don't want to be, just so the individual can feel good about not dying, is a bit absurd, wouldn't you say?
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  3. #43
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,792

    Re: Former Disney star Lee Thompson Young commits suicide at 29

    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    people usually want to live because they have a living instinct .

    but if they want to die when they are young and physically healthy it means they have a problem .
    Cool. Then live. Don't try to push other people to do the same thing if they don't want to, just because it makes *YOU* feel better.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  4. #44
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,792

    Re: Former Disney star Lee Thompson Young commits suicide at 29

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    You certainly interpret what others say to suit your purpose, don't you?

    You don't know anything about me, actually, so all you have to go on is what I write. You're willfully misconstruing my point. That's fine with me just so long as you're aware that it's pretty transparent.
    I can only respond to what you actually say, that's one of the limitations of a public forum. If you want me to respond to something else, spell it out and I will.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  5. #45
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,792

    Re: Former Disney star Lee Thompson Young commits suicide at 29

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    You do have a point. There are people (ex terminally ill with excruciating pain) for whom life would be best if ended. However, I don't think that's the case in every suicide, or even in most suicides.
    But you're imposing your own standards on others, don't you see that? You're deciding for others if they would be better off dead, or better off alive, based on your own wants and desires. You don't even stop to consider their wants or desires. You just expect them to think as you do, because you think it. It doesn't really work that way.

    PS - When I made the misanthrope remark, I thought I was responding to Oscar.
    No worries, I don't take things around here personally.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  6. #46
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Former Disney star Lee Thompson Young commits suicide at 29

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    But you're imposing your own standards on others, don't you see that?
    No, I don't see that.

    Maybe you could quote the post where I imposed any standards on anyone else.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  7. #47
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,792

    Re: Former Disney star Lee Thompson Young commits suicide at 29

    Quote Originally Posted by rocket88 View Post
    He was on Rizzoli & Iles on TNT. In fact, the last episode of the season had to be shelved now.
    That's why I asked. It doesn't really change the argument, but fine, he was on a current TV show. Are you really upset because it messes with your TV viewing schedule?
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  8. #48
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:00 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,792

    Re: Former Disney star Lee Thompson Young commits suicide at 29

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    No, I don't see that.

    Maybe you could quote the post where I imposed any standards on anyone else.
    Here you go:

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha
    There are people (ex terminally ill with excruciating pain) for whom life would be best if ended.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  9. #49
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,913

    Re: Former Disney star Lee Thompson Young commits suicide at 29

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    To you. To them, who knows? If they want to be helped, great. If they do not, it's not your job to impose "help" upon them. It's not up to you to determine how long another human being on this planet lives, regardless of your personal, emotional attachment to them. This guy was 29 years old, an adult, he ought to be able to make his own decisions.



    That you're reacting entirely emotionally? No, that's quite clear. The problem is that so many people seem to have a major problem with over-emotionalizing, any time anyone dies, they freak out like it's the end of the world. In reality, it isn't about someone else's demise, it's about their own fear of death, projected onto others.



    But you're the one projecting onto him. Apparently he saw a reason to die because he killed himself. He didn't do it for no reason. Just because you don't agree with his reasons doesn't mean those reasons didn't exist, or were not valid to him.



    But you only have control for so long, after which, they're adults and get to make their own decisions. Some people don't want to go on living. That's just the way it is. Some people just act stupidly and end up dead as a result. That's also just the way it is. My grandfather died in his 60s because he was a diabetic and refused to take care of himself. My father died in his 60s because he spent a certain amount of his life smoking (we don't know for sure how long, he hid it for decades) and got cancer. As much as I miss them both, I have no right to force my views on either of them and force them to act in accordance to my wishes. They were adults, they made their own choices, they paid the consequences for them.

    That's really the issue, so many people are terrified of death that whenever anyone dies, even someone they've never met, they freak out instead of just accepting the inevitable conclusion that death is a natural part of life. I get that a lot of people have a strong emotional reaction to the thought of dying, but to take that to the extreme of claiming that other people, people they don't even personally know, have to live by a particular set of dictates that keep them alive, even if they don't want to be, just so the individual can feel good about not dying, is a bit absurd, wouldn't you say?
    I'd say that projecting the way you are here is absurd. You're seeing what others are saying through your own prism. Maybe there are folks out there who are terrified of dying, but you might be surprised by how many are not.

    I'll leave you to your own imaginings about vengeance and terror and all that and say simply that it's okay to feel empathy for others and to deeply regret the waste of such a young life.

    I was shocked to discover when I moved from the big city to the community I now call home that when a funeral procession passes by, everybody pulls over. I mean the 18-wheelers and everybody. I like it. I think it's okay to stop for just a few minutes to acknowledge the passing of a fellow traveler. You know, "The paths of glory lead but to the grave" and "Ask not for whom the bell tolls," etc.

  10. #50
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Former Disney star Lee Thompson Young commits suicide at 29

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Here you go:
    I asked for a quote where "I imposed any standards on anyone", not a quote where I express an opinion
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •