Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 26 of 26

Thread: Thousands of refugees from Syria pour over the border into Iraqi Kurdistan

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Thousands of refugees from Syria pour over the border into Iraqi Kurdistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    Yeh you have the biggest military in the world so....

    But you stated before that only the US were the only country involved in the bombing of Libya which of course isn't true. The US will be involved in most worldwide conflicts in some form mostly because your military arm stretches around the globe but it doesn't have to be the "face" of every conflict. I would be happy if the US provided tactical support, military resources in the Syrian conflict but would not want the US's military involved in too much of the heavy lifting.
    Depends what the word "only" means. My 90% statement seems pretty damn accurate though and when we do 90% of a NATO action we are NATO, everyone else is just window dressing so if you guys want to intervene in Libya go right ahead but leave US out of it. Good luck.

  2. #22
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,241

    Re: Thousands of refugees from Syria pour over the border into Iraqi Kurdistan

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Depends what the word "only" means. My 90% statement seems pretty damn accurate though and when we do 90% of a NATO action we are NATO, everyone else is just window dressing so if you guys want to intervene in Libya go right ahead but leave US out of it. Good luck.
    I think we are at a cross-roads right now! The US public, media and Government seem to be trying to move away from US military intervention in foreign conflicts/wars which of course is understandable given the decade long struggle and thousands of American dead. I really feel like Europe has a responsibility to step up and take some of this burden off Americas hands, the UK has fought side by side with the US for decades but I would love us to take the lead in Europe and start becoming less dependent on US military help.
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Where they have FOX on in bars and restaurants
    Last Seen
    09-14-14 @ 02:09 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    14,700

    Re: Thousands of refugees from Syria pour over the border into Iraqi Kurdistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    I think we are at a cross-roads right now! The US public, media and Government seem to be trying to move away from US military intervention in foreign conflicts/wars which of course is understandable given the decade long struggle and thousands of American dead. I really feel like Europe has a responsibility to step up and take some of this burden off Americas hands, the UK has fought side by side with the US for decades but I would love us to take the lead in Europe and start becoming less dependent on US military help.
    Sounds like we basically agree then.

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Thousands of refugees from Syria pour over the border into Iraqi Kurdistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    I think we are at a cross-roads right now! The US public, media and Government seem to be trying to move away from US military intervention in foreign conflicts/wars which of course is understandable given the decade long struggle and thousands of American dead. I really feel like Europe has a responsibility to step up and take some of this burden off Americas hands, the UK has fought side by side with the US for decades but I would love us to take the lead in Europe and start becoming less dependent on US military help.
    The problem appears to be that many people in Europe, at least of this generation, know how to enjoy freedom but don't know how to protect it. The idea that those living in the democracies should fight and die for the liberties of people living elsewhere seems foreign to them now.

    Of course I could be wrong.

  5. #25
    Sage
    Higgins86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    England
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    13,241

    Re: Thousands of refugees from Syria pour over the border into Iraqi Kurdistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    The problem appears to be that many people in Europe, at least of this generation, know how to enjoy freedom but don't know how to protect it. The idea that those living in the democracies should fight and die for the liberties of people living elsewhere seems foreign to them now.

    Of course I could be wrong.
    the problem is that central Europe has taken a back stage and has watched the US,UK, Canada etc take the center stage for many conflicts while they stood by. This has to change and the EU has to be the first to change perceptions.
    ‘This is not peace, it is an armistice for 20 years.’ (Ferdinand Foch. After the Treaty of Versailles, 1919).

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Thousands of refugees from Syria pour over the border into Iraqi Kurdistan

    Quote Originally Posted by Higgins86 View Post
    the problem is that central Europe has taken a back stage and has watched the US,UK, Canada etc take the center stage for many conflicts while they stood by. This has to change and the EU has to be the first to change perceptions.
    Quite right because the next time a major conflict occurs, and it will, Europeans may not receive help from the help from North America they have grown to expect. I'm not sure many Europeans know how to defend themselves thinking, perhaps, that because they want no harm to anyone else that others will want ho harm to them. This seems to be especially true in areas like Scandinavia. Others, like the British and French, are wiser.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •