Page 26 of 46 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
Results 251 to 260 of 453

Thread: Father of teen charged in Florida school bus beating says son is 'sorry' [W:245]

  1. #251
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,337

    Re: Father of teen charged in Florida school bus beating says son is 'sorry'

    Quote Originally Posted by Lysander View Post
    So what would you suggest that white kid do? Not only was he younger he was smaller and out numbered by 3 animals intent on killing him...damn near succeeded at that. They need locked away in prison for the rest of their lives.
    What has happened to some stupid young men's thinking today? Do their parents know what kind of person they are raising? Why not a one-on-one instead of a gang on one? This is bullying carried too far! They are cowards, and although "an eye for an eye" is no longer socially acceptable, it did have a lot going for it as a deterrent, IMO! If the cowards knew the same thing would happen to them as their punishment, I believe it might serve as a warning!

    Greetings, Lysander.

  2. #252
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Father of teen charged in Florida school bus beating says son is 'sorry'

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    Is it possible that different kids need different approaches? That what will work with one may actually be destructive for another? From my experience some need a firmer hand than others. Some need new information, guidance and support because too firm a hand is what got them to this place to begin with. It seems to make sense to start with confinement of some type but one that focuses on determining who they are first. Then recommendations can be made. I would suggest involving the parents also, and probation after treatment.
    It's possible, but we have limited resources with which to develop a specialized treatment plan for each child. What many of these kids are lacking is a respect for others and themselves, and a respect for life itself. They need to be taught how to respect and consider the implications of their behaviors first and foremost. This takes a firm guiding hand. What was most likely lacking in their lives was a strong role model in their early childhood. We can't go back and be their mother and father, but we can teach them how to control their impulses.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  3. #253
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,552

    Re: Father of teen charged in Florida school bus beating says son is 'sorry'

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    Is it possible that different kids need different approaches? That what will work with one may actually be destructive for another? From my experience some need a firmer hand than others. Some need new information, guidance and support because too firm a hand is what got them to this place to begin with. It seems to make sense to start with confinement of some type but one that focuses on determining who they are first. Then recommendations can be made. I would suggest involving the parents also, and probation after treatment.
    At least you agree that only probation is not enough.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  4. #254
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Father of teen charged in Florida school bus beating says son is 'sorry' [W:245]

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    School bus beating suspects appear in court | Fox News Video



    You have GOT to be kidding here? The father saying
    "I'm sorry for what happened to the victim, but that's just the way it is?" What the hell is that?


    Sorry, but these kids, all three of them should be charged as adults, and serve time.

    What say you?



    Being genuinely sorry and saying it is a good first step when you harm someone for no good reason. But it's just the first step, next you need to do all that you can to correct the harm that you did, up to and including spending some time behind bars.

  5. #255
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Father of teen charged in Florida school bus beating says son is 'sorry'

    Quote Originally Posted by Gipper View Post
    1) It's much harder to un-learn a bad behavior than it is to learn one. It's not nearly as easy as "well let's just try to show them the way".

    2) Prisons weren't designed to rehabilitate, so your argument is fallacious. Prisons were designed to isolate. They're a place to remove a bad element of society to where it can do little to no more harm.

    3) Kids that perform actions like they did in this case are typically unintelligent and incapable of learning from mistakes. This wasn't a borderline assault; they beat that kid like a dog.

    I think that most people don't realize that Good Will Hunting was just a movie. Some super-sensitive therapist with a sweater can't talk any street thug into being a redeemable member of society.

    Release these kids if you want. Odds are overwhelming that all 3 will be in prison within 3-5 years.
    Oh come on Gip, even I'm not that naive. I understand that and I am not talking about a gentle hand to guide them sweetly toward the light. I am talking about giving them an actual chance by presenting them with information that they probably have not heard and real opportunity to change their lives if THEY chose. Ultimately, they have to chose a better path and if they don't they will continue to suffer worse and worse consequences for their actions. But if we want to have a real impact and redirect as many as possible I believe this would be a more effective option.

    I said before, I raised a son and had a house full of boys (most of whom I served as segregate moms too) so I know that boys need to be taught respect and that warm fuzzies alone will drill home that lesson. But you make it sound as if they are incapable of change and I do not buy that. People act out for lots of reasons that have nothing to do with who they are innately. Usually because it is what they have been taught or because of internalized issues.

    I know that prisons were not meant to rehab, that is my point. But we do expect them to have learned their lesson (at least all of the white people do) and not do it again when they get out. So the system may not be set up to accomplish it but it is still an expectation.

  6. #256
    Sage

    Mason66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,437

    Re: Father of teen charged in Florida school bus beating says son is 'sorry' [W:245]

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    Being genuinely sorry and saying it is a good first step when you harm someone for no good reason. But it's just the first step, next you need to do all that you can to correct the harm that you did, up to and including spending some time behind bars.
    That would be great if the kid had said it and not his father saying it in his place.

  7. #257
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Theoretical Physics Lab
    Last Seen
    01-06-15 @ 11:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    25,120

    Re: Father of teen charged in Florida school bus beating says son is 'sorry'

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    Oh come on Gip, even I'm not that naive. I understand that and I am not talking about a gentle hand to guide them sweetly toward the light. I am talking about giving them an actual chance by presenting them with information that they probably have not heard and real opportunity to change their lives if THEY chose. Ultimately, they have to chose a better path and if they don't they will continue to suffer worse and worse consequences for their actions. But if we want to have a real impact and redirect as many as possible I believe this would be a more effective option.

    I said before, I raised a son and had a house full of boys (most of whom I served as segregate moms too) so I know that boys need to be taught respect and that warm fuzzies alone will drill home that lesson. But you make it sound as if they are incapable of change and I do not buy that. People act out for lots of reasons that have nothing to do with who they are innately. Usually because it is what they have been taught or because of internalized issues.

    I know that prisons were not meant to rehab, that is my point. But we do expect them to have learned their lesson (at least all of the white people do) and not do it again when they get out. So the system may not be set up to accomplish it but it is still an expectation.
    Okay, let's say I give you the benefit of the doubt. Let's just say.

    Here's your chance. I just got a couple of my "boys" together and viciously beat down some kid who dimed me out for slingin'. Set me straight. Say anything you want to me to help me "see the light".

    Go.

  8. #258
    Sage
    opendebate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 01:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    7,315

    Re: Father of teen charged in Florida school bus beating says son is 'sorry'

    Quote Originally Posted by lizzie View Post
    It's possible, but we have limited resources with which to develop a specialized treatment plan for each child. What many of these kids are lacking is a respect for others and themselves, and a respect for life itself. They need to be taught how to respect and consider the implications of their behaviors first and foremost. This takes a firm guiding hand. What was most likely lacking in their lives was a strong role model in their early childhood. We can't go back and be their mother and father, but we can teach them how to control their impulses.
    See this annoys me. You don't know what is lacking in their lives. You are painting everyone with the same brush. You could be right in the majority of cases but then you miss the exceptions and I see them as worth the effort and expense. Compare the cost of housing one in prison for the rest of their lives to individualized treatment.

    Why do you think a person ends up having no respect for themselves? What do you think, most often, lies at the heart of violent behavior? I think you are oversimplifying what is going on with them.

  9. #259
    Sage
    lizzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    between two worlds
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    28,581

    Re: Father of teen charged in Florida school bus beating says son is 'sorry'

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    See this annoys me. You don't know what is lacking in their lives. You are painting everyone with the same brush. You could be right in the majority of cases but then you miss the exceptions and I see them as worth the effort and expense. Compare the cost of housing one in prison for the rest of their lives to individualized treatment.

    Why do you think a person ends up having no respect for themselves? What do you think, most often, lies at the heart of violent behavior? I think you are oversimplifying what is going on with them.
    Omg, what I say annoys someone? I'm crushed.

    I think they have no respect for themselves, because to have true respect for others, requires that you also have it for yourself. It's an empathy thing. And it isn't overly simplifying things. Human behaviors are generally simple concepts.
    "God is the name by which I designate all things which cross my path violently and recklessly, all things which alter my plans and intentions, and change the course of my life, for better or for worse."
    -C G Jung

  10. #260
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    18,257

    Re: Father of teen charged in Florida school bus beating says son is 'sorry'

    Quote Originally Posted by opendebate View Post
    See this annoys me. You don't know what is lacking in their lives. You are painting everyone with the same brush. You could be right in the majority of cases but then you miss the exceptions and I see them as worth the effort and expense. Compare the cost of housing one in prison for the rest of their lives to individualized treatment.

    Why do you think a person ends up having no respect for themselves?
    What do you think, most often, lies at the heart of violent behavior? I think you are oversimplifying what is going on with them.
    What makes you think these 3 have no respect for themselves?
    Seems to me they have so much respect for themselves that they believe they're pretty much entitled to do any damn thing they want ... and the coddling they get from the Left helps to reinforce that thinking.

Page 26 of 46 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •