Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 168

Thread: U.S. Expats Balk at Tax Law[W:82]

  1. #1
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    U.S. Expats Balk at Tax Law[W:82]

    Globally, more U.S. citizens have renounced their citizenship in the first and second quarters than all of 2012 combined, and 2013 is already on track to becoming a record year for renunciations. A total of 1,130 names appeared on the latest list of renunciations from the Internal Revenue Service, according to Andrew Mitchel, a tax lawyer who tracks the data. That is far above the previous high of 679, set in the first quarter, and more than were reported in all of 2012.
    While those numbers are still a fraction of the estimated six million Americans living abroad, lawyers say the main trigger for cutting ties with U.S. recently is the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act, or Fatca, which requires foreign institutions to disclose the overseas assets of U.S. green-card holders and citizens to the U.S. government.

    U.S. Expats Balk at Tax Law, Reconsider Citizenship - WSJ.com
    And another truism coming to pass...When you unfairly try to go after the wealthy and tax their success they just leave because they can afford to do so...So who's next in the progressive push for so called "income justice"? Well, it would have to be the middle class....and they can't afford to run....Buckle up people.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    New England
    Last Seen
    05-01-14 @ 03:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    12,879

    Re: U.S. Expats Balk at Tax Law

    That's fine. So long as they are barred from ever entering the United States again, owning property, businesses, or any other item of value inside the United States, and not allowed to make any money here.

  3. #3
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: U.S. Expats Balk at Tax Law

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    And another truism coming to pass...When you unfairly try to go after the wealthy and tax their success they just leave because they can afford to do so...So who's next in the progressive push for so called "income justice"? Well, it would have to be the middle class....and they can't afford to run....Buckle up people.
    So you think our tax policies should be guided by the 0.000032% of the population that has decided to renounce their citizenship?

    And I thought the OWS's 1% rhetoric was a bit extreme!!
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #4
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: U.S. Expats Balk at Tax Law

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    So you think our tax policies should be guided by the 0.000032% of the population that has decided to renounce their citizenship?

    And I thought the OWS's 1% rhetoric was a bit extreme!!
    No, that's what you are saying...I never said anything like that.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #5
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: U.S. Expats Balk at Tax Law

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    No, that's what you are saying...I never said anything like that.
    I'm glad to hear that you support the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  6. #6
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,685

    Re: U.S. Expats Balk at Tax Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    That's fine. So long as they are barred from ever entering the United States again, owning property, businesses, or any other item of value inside the United States, and not allowed to make any money here.
    We can't even enforce that on Mexican citizens...

  7. #7
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: U.S. Expats Balk at Tax Law

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    So you think our tax policies should be guided by the 0.000032% of the population that has decided to renounce their citizenship?

    And I thought the OWS's 1% rhetoric was a bit extreme!!
    I suppose you'd rather wait until it was 10 thousand, or maybe 10 million before you recognised the problem?

  8. #8
    Professor
    wbcoleman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    06-07-16 @ 11:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    1,833

    Re: U.S. Expats Balk at Tax Law

    How is Mr. Hollande's 75% marginal tax rate working out?
    Zionism is the National Liberation Movement of the Jewish People.

  9. #9
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: U.S. Expats Balk at Tax Law

    Quote Originally Posted by sangha View Post
    I'm glad to hear that you support the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act.
    Didn't say that either....Don't know enough about it yet....But glad to see you are still as dishonest as usual...Just a friendly bit of advice, instead of trying to assign arguments you want other people to have with you, just argue your ****ed up points, and try not to inject your perspective into other peoples words....You suck at it.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #10
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: U.S. Expats Balk at Tax Law

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    I suppose you'd rather wait until it was 10 thousand, or maybe 10 million before you recognised the problem?
    So you're worried that 10 million of the 6 million expats will do the same?
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •