Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 168

Thread: U.S. Expats Balk at Tax Law[W:82]

  1. #101
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    08-19-16 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,243

    Re: U.S. Expats Balk at Tax Law[W:82]

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Well, whatever loop holes in the law that exist which would allow that to take place should be taken care of as a preventative measure. We can't afford to lose any money to foreign countries.
    Good point. Perhaps we should stop giving Money to foreign countries. I doubt the taxes collected from Croats comes even close to what we are giving away to people who don't much like us anyway.

  2. #102
    Sage
    longview's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    14,305

    Re: U.S. Expats Balk at Tax Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Morality Games View Post
    You really should have composed a stronger argument before starting this thread. All I have to do is say, "Make the laws to punish ex-pats" stronger so that leaving is prohibitively expensive.
    Didn't the former Soviet Block try that with a wall and guns?

  3. #103
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: U.S. Expats Balk at Tax Law[W:82]

    Quote Originally Posted by tech30528 View Post
    Good point. Perhaps we should stop giving Money to foreign countries. I doubt the taxes collected from Croats comes even close to what we are giving away to people who don't much like us anyway.
    That too.

  4. #104
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,536

    Re: U.S. Expats Balk at Tax Law

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Keep it up, I hope you get banned. You trash up this site.
    Seriously? Dude, if this guy really is 13 years old, he's hardly trashing up this site. I won't go into it much further because Gina asked us to debate the issue, not each other.

    I will say that you can disagree with him all you want, but he's impressed the hell out of me, and I see him as an asset to this site, not a detriment. I'd like to see more people as knowledgable as this guy when they enter into a debate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chomsky
    It's easy to be a Conservative, until you need help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal
    After years of condemning Bill Clinton for being a rapist, Republicans apparently changed their minds about the whole thing and elected one of their own.
    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen
    Fox News knows their audience. Nuance and facts aren't why they tune in.

  5. #105
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    08-19-16 @ 02:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    5,243

    Re: U.S. Expats Balk at Tax Law

    BTW "Croats" was apparently what my auto correct thought I meant by "Expats"

  6. #106
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: U.S. Expats Balk at Tax Law

    Quote Originally Posted by Superfly View Post
    Seriously? Dude, if this guy really is 13 years old, he's hardly trashing up this site. I won't go into it much further because Gina asked us to debate the issue, not each other.

    I will say that you can disagree with him all you want, but he's impressed the hell out of me, and I see him as an asset to this site, not a detriment. I'd like to see more people as knowledgable as this guy when they enter into a debate.
    Well, I won't argue that OC is a smart guy, he is. I've known of him for quite some time, since before we were on this site...That's not the point. It's the approach...There seems to be as of late a few posters in here that go way over the top concerning being 'jerks' in my opinion, and it is wrong. Now some may think that of me, I don't know, obviously OC is not all too happy with me these days...

    And to be clear, in the OP of this thread I was a little knee jerk and threw it up there with a comment that was clear I didn't really read of research the thread topic beforehand, I'll take that ding...But people don't have to be rude, cruel assholes to point that out do they? Heck, I am sure even after this mea culpa, there will be those that still just swoop in to type some the vitriol that drives this sort of thing....OC, and others, as smart as they are, should use that intelligence to spur someone like me to think, and see the flaw they think is there, rather than just constantly displaying arrogance, and disdain for people, you know?

    There is a Rule #4 for a reason, although it seems the least enforced...But that's all I'll say on it.

    I just hope they know that I don't hold any grudge against them, and just wish that they could lighten up a bit, and cut all of the things they do in here knowingly to insult, and bully people.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  7. #107
    User iggicee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    08-22-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12

    Re: U.S. Expats Balk at Tax Law

    Well, I don't begrudge people who look for ways around unjust or immoral laws. And in this case we are talking about expats. People who live and work outside of the US. They aren't using US schools, or highways, or any other infrastructures.

    Why the hell should they have to pay income taxes on money they didn't make in the US and when they aren't residing in the US? Most countries don't do that. Most countries require you pay taxes on income you made IN that country or at least while you are living in that country, using its resources.

  8. #108
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: U.S. Expats Balk at Tax Law

    Quote Originally Posted by iggicee View Post
    Well, I don't begrudge people who look for ways around unjust or immoral laws. And in this case we are talking about expats. People who live and work outside of the US. They aren't using US schools, or highways, or any other infrastructures.

    Why the hell should they have to pay income taxes on money they didn't make in the US and when they aren't residing in the US? Most countries don't do that. Most countries require you pay taxes on income you made IN that country or at least while you are living in that country, using its resources.
    They are still citizens of this country legally, and just because they are over in another country working or whatever doesn't mean they don't have children and spouses living here. I used to work in RI and live in MA, and had to pay taxes to both states.

  9. #109
    User iggicee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    08-22-13 @ 08:57 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    12

    Re: U.S. Expats Balk at Tax Law

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    They are still citizens of this country legally, and just because they are over in another country working or whatever doesn't mean they don't have children and spouses living here. I used to work in RI and live in MA, and had to pay taxes to both states.
    Fair enough. If they have dependents living in the States then they should be responsible for paying taxes on them. But in most cases expats live with their dependents. I am an expat and my wife and kids live with me. I have no moral qualms about paying my US taxes, though, because while I don't live in the US my income is generated in the US. But most fo the expats I know have no ties or assets in the US other than that US passport, which they had to pay for.

    I get the frustration with people who are living and working in the US and then hide that money overseas somewhere. Those people are profiting from the American system and should be paying into it accordingly. But your typical expat is not in that category.

  10. #110
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: U.S. Expats Balk at Tax Law

    Quote Originally Posted by iggicee View Post
    Fair enough. If they have dependents living in the States then they should be responsible for paying taxes on them. But in most cases expats live with their dependents. I am an expat and my wife and kids live with me. I have no moral qualms about paying my US taxes, though, because while I don't live in the US my income is generated in the US. But most fo the expats I know have no ties or assets in the US other than that US passport, which they had to pay for.

    I get the frustration with people who are living and working in the US and then hide that money overseas somewhere. Those people are profiting from the American system and should be paying into it accordingly. But your typical expat is not in that category.
    Okay, I can understand your point there, if you and your dependents are living and working outside of the US and not using any services, but to what I bolded above, that definitely needs to be cracked down on.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •