Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 403

Thread: Tenn. judge changes infant's name from 'Messiah'

  1. #81
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,029

    Re: Tennessee Judge orders baby's name be changed from 'Messiah'

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    So should we have the judge change a kids name from "Peter" to something else? I mean he might get bullied or ridiculed by being called "Dick" another name for your peter. Sorry, but kids bully and tease REGARDLESS of the name, so this is a lame excuse for a judge to get involved in the naming of a kid.
    The excuse might be lame but I think it is in the child's best interest to not be named Messiah as the first name. I could care less if it was is second name.

    He could have been called Micaiah Messiah ........ or Matthias Messiah ....... but Messiah as the first name is a name that will be reason for bullying.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  2. #82
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Tennessee Judge orders baby's name be changed from 'Messiah'

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    And I would think a child named Messiah will be bullied and will have issues his whole life if he had been named Messiah.
    Meh.

    Warning: We interrupt this program to give caution that there will be a politically incorrect statement forthcoming.

    I doubt he would be bullied much, if at all. He's a poor black kid in a poor black community (according to other reports I have seen), and given some of the patently ridiculous names that are given to kids in these communities, "Messiah" is actually pretty tame and unalarming. At least one can spell it and pronounce it.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #83
    Sage
    sangha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Lower Hudson Valley, NY
    Last Seen
    09-17-17 @ 05:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    59,990

    Re: Tennessee Judge orders baby's name be changed from 'Messiah'

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    The excuse might be lame but I think it is in the child's best interest to not be named Messiah as the first name. I could care less if it was is second name.

    He could have been called Micaiah Messiah ........ or Matthias Messiah ....... but Messiah as the first name is a name that will be reason for bullying.
    Or he can call himself by his middle name - DeShawn
    Quote Originally Posted by matchlight View Post
    Justice Thomas' opinions consistently contain precise, detailed constitutional analyses.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaeger19 View Post
    the vast majority of folks that need healthcare are on Medicare.. both rich and poor..

  4. #84
    Sage
    Arcana XV's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Geneva, Switzerland and Rochester, NY
    Last Seen
    10-22-17 @ 10:25 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    6,412

    Re: Tennessee Judge orders baby's name be changed from 'Messiah'

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    Jesus is a name that is acceptable in the Latino community and is a name that as you say is given to plenty of Latino men.

    And I would think a child named Messiah will be bullied and will have issues his whole life if he had been named Messiah.
    That doesn't make any sense. Jesus is ok because it's culturally acceptable in the Latino community, but Messiah is not? What's the difference? Both names refer to the same biblical person.
    "Yes, but are you a Protestant atheist or a Catholic atheist?".- Northern Irish joke

  5. #85
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Tennessee Judge orders baby's name be changed from 'Messiah'

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    The excuse might be lame but I think it is in the child's best interest to not be named Messiah as the first name. I could care less if it was is second name.

    He could have been called Micaiah Messiah ........ or Matthias Messiah ....... but Messiah as the first name is a name that will be reason for bullying.
    You said you didn't mind the judge changing the name to prevent ridicule and teasing. So are you supportive in a judge saying that "Dick" shouldn't be a first name?

  6. #86
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: Tennessee Judge orders baby's name be changed from 'Messiah'

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    Jesus is a name that is acceptable in the Latino community and is a name that as you say is given to plenty of Latino men.

    And I would think a child named Messiah will be bullied and will have issues his whole life if he had been named Messiah.
    The kid will just as easily be bullied with Martin. Or, pick a first name. What determines the coolness or geekiness of a name follows a formula that seems only comprehensible to children. Had a student named Thomas Hawk and another named Chipper Monk, neither were ever teased about it. However, other kids with names like Martin were teased. Go figure. Oh, and the principal of the first school I taught at, his name - General Scott Davies.

  7. #87
    Sage
    Arbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Last Seen
    07-12-16 @ 01:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    10,395
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Tennessee Judge orders baby's name be changed from 'Messiah'

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    So it is the parents right to torture their kid? I am sorry, some might call it activist judging, I call it common sense judging.
    You call it 'we live where we are mere subjects, rather than people with a free will' judging. We do not want that, and there is a reason we fought to get away from it.
    "nah i think the way cons want to turn this into a political issue is funny though" - Philly Boss

  8. #88
    Sage
    Peter King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    14,029

    Re: Tennessee Judge orders baby's name be changed from 'Messiah'

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    You said you didn't mind the judge changing the name to prevent ridicule and teasing. So are you supportive in a judge saying that "Dick" shouldn't be a first name?
    I support this judge for rocking the name giving boat. Whether the decision stands is to be seen, but I do not understand the drama. The child was not harmed by giving him a proper name, he is healthy and will not be aware of all this name BS.

    A new judge will possibly give him back his first name but maybe this will kick start a discussion about proper naming and the rights of children to be given a name that would not ensure ruthless bullying.
    Former military man (and now babysitter of Donald Trump) John Kelly, is a big loud lying empty barrel!

  9. #89
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Tennessee Judge orders baby's name be changed from 'Messiah'

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    I support this judge for rocking the name giving boat. Whether the decision stands is to be seen, but I do not understand the drama. The child was not harmed by giving him a proper name, he is healthy and will not be aware of all this name BS.

    A new judge will possibly give him back his first name but maybe this will kick start a discussion about proper naming and the rights of children to be given a name that would not ensure ruthless bullying.
    Nice avoiding of my actual question. I'll try again, since you are concerned about a child being teased or ridiculed for his first name, do you support a Judge ruling the name "Dick" as inappropriate? And if not, why? The kid will be teased and ridiculed for his first name in that instance.

  10. #90
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:05 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Tennessee Judge orders baby's name be changed from 'Messiah'

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    You said you didn't mind the judge changing the name to prevent ridicule and teasing. So are you supportive in a judge saying that "Dick" shouldn't be a first name?
    "Dick" is not usually the full official name on the birth certificate. It is normally used by choice.

    I am not aware of it ever being an official name, but I'm sure that if you perused all the birth certificates in the world, you'd probably find one somewhere.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •