Page 29 of 41 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 403

Thread: Tenn. judge changes infant's name from 'Messiah'

  1. #281
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Tenn. judge changes infant's name from 'Messiah'

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I've never heard of anyone with the name Messiah before. I wonder where it's the "fastest growing name" (certainly not in my location)? I would never saddle my child with that or any other name, I know that. I still think parents who do this are not thinking at all of their children, but are thinking of themselves so they can say to their friends, "oh, aren't I clever that I came up with such-and-such a name?"
    I wouldn't name my child "Star" or "Rain" or "Angel" or "Jesus" or "Francis" or "William" or "Carey" or many other names. I simply don't like those names. But I also wouldn't try to prevent people from naming their children those things if they want to. That should be the parents' choice. At the same time, there are people who don't like what I named my children either. I in fact spelled my second son's name a specific way to avoid upsetting my mother because his name is close to my father's (of course I do like the spelling I used better anyway). But there are many reasons to name children, and giving your child a unique or special name should not be something that others have a right to deny to a parent, even if others feel those parents are wrong.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #282
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Tenn. judge changes infant's name from 'Messiah'

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I wouldn't name my child "Star" or "Rain" or "Angel" or "Jesus" or "Francis" or "William" or "Carey" or many other names. I simply don't like those names. But I also wouldn't try to prevent people from naming their children those things if they want to. That should be the parents' choice. At the same time, there are people who don't like what I named my children either. I in fact spelled my second son's name a specific way to avoid upsetting my mother because his name is close to my father's (of course I do like the spelling I used better anyway). But there are many reasons to name children, and giving your child a unique or special name should not be something that others have a right to deny to a parent, even if others feel those parents are wrong.
    Well, don't get me wrong, I don't think people should be able to override the parents' decision on what to name the child, but as I understand it one of the parents did want a name change, so I don't know in that situation.

  3. #283
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Tenn. judge changes infant's name from 'Messiah'

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Well, don't get me wrong, I don't think people should be able to override the parents' decision on what to name the child, but as I understand it one of the parents did want a name change, so I don't know in that situation.
    The parents wanted the last name decided on. I haven't heard that either parent was objecting to the first name though.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #284
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Tenn. judge changes infant's name from 'Messiah'

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    The parents wanted the last name decided on. I haven't heard that either parent was objecting to the first name though.
    Well if that's the case, then the judge is just wrong IMO. Even though I think it's a dumb name, it's up to the parents.

  5. #285
    Phonetic Mnemonic
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:58 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,438

    Re: Tenn. judge changes infant's name from 'Messiah'

    Good thing Beulah is currently unpopular.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  6. #286
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Tenn. judge changes infant's name from 'Messiah'

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Well if that's the case, then the judge is just wrong IMO. Even though I think it's a dumb name, it's up to the parents.
    I also noticed rereading it that Martin is the mother's last name.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #287
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,572
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Tenn. judge changes infant's name from 'Messiah'

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Yes, Messiah is the 4th fastest growing name in the US.

    Messiah - Boy | Baby Names, Name Meaning, Popularity | BabyCenter

    505 babies so far this year have been named "Messiah" for every million people. 379 last year for the US for every million. Since there are over 313 Million people in the US, that means that thousands of children have the name Messiah in the US. Even just adding up the numbers for the every million over the last 5 years gives you over 1000 children with the name Messiah.

    A judge can't do what many believe. Their decisions can be overturned and deemed to be inappropriate or beyond the scope of what the issue is. And it is likely that this one absolutely will be, particularly given the reason the judge gave as justification to change his name.
    I don't know about that site you link. They list the most popular boy's name as being "Aiden". Huh?

    Then there's the story about the girl named "Female". It was the name the hospital had given her. And lo and behold, babycenter.com lists that name as belonging to 12 girls out of a million in 2008!

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  8. #288
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Tenn. judge changes infant's name from 'Messiah'

    I went to HS with a set of twins named "Bob" and "Robert"
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  9. #289
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    10-30-14 @ 12:38 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    7,908

    Re: Tenn. judge changes infant's name from 'Messiah'

    This story is funny.... It shows us all how judges can just rule tyrannically just to make a point and that ruling will stand until an appeal is made... Of course judges are rarely held accountable for their silly personal politics when they rule based on them.

    This is how the SCOTUS rules everyday because a) they can and b) they're the last station on the tracks..

  10. #290
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Tenn. judge changes infant's name from 'Messiah'

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I don't know about that site you link. They list the most popular boy's name as being "Aiden". Huh?

    Then there's the story about the girl named "Female". It was the name the hospital had given her. And lo and behold, babycenter.com lists that name as belonging to 12 girls out of a million in 2008!
    The SS has Aiden listed as 10th for 2012. It wouldn't be too hard to imagine it as being the top one for 2013 (although it is yet another name I wouldn't name my child).

    Popular Baby Names

    Here is Messiah's ranking from the SSA.

    Popular Baby Names

    In 2012, it's ranking slid up to being almost twice as popular (statistically) as it was the year before. In fact, it ranked one below Scott and one above Jay for popularity last year. Here are some names that were less popular to name your child last year than Messiah: Devon, Albert, Philip, Randy, Saul, Davis, Donald, Bruce, Larry, Russell, Dennis, just to name a few.

    Popular Baby Names

    This was just last year, 2012. Imagine how much popularity this story, and this judge have now brought to this name now. She will likely have Messiah's showing up at her door in protest of this to show her that Messiah is a valid name that she had no business changing for any child just because she felt it was inappropriate/wrong.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

Page 29 of 41 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •