Page 28 of 41 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
Results 271 to 280 of 403

Thread: Tenn. judge changes infant's name from 'Messiah'

  1. #271
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Tenn. judge changes infant's name from 'Messiah'

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    Judges have always had the discretion not to change names to things that would offend others or are otherwise grossly inappropriate.

    That's why Tom Jones can't change his name to N*gg*r Jones, Nazi Jones, Sonofab**** Jones, Adolf Hitler Was a Saint Jones, KillKillKiillDie Jones, and the like.
    Actually, no they haven't had that discretion. The name has to be shown to be either a violation of a law or actually something that could be offensive, not just inappropriate because of someone's beliefs. There are laws that prevent certain names due to profanity or using characters or numbers in the name, but the name Messiah does not actually break those rules. It is just a name.

    If someone wanted to name their child "God", should someone else be allowed to change it? What about "Zeus", "Odin", "Aphrodite", "Shiva", or "Ra"? What about "Allah"? Although these may be offensive to some people, it isn't really insulting anyone. It is just a name.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #272
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Tenn. judge changes infant's name from 'Messiah'

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Although what you say is true, I don't know if I agree totally with that. Kids with really weird names are going to tend to be picked on more than your kid with an average name, I would think, especially a name like "Messiah" which tends to cast certain qualities upon a person.
    Except it isn't common in most areas to refer to Jesus as "the Messiah", especially not in a way where every child would even know about it. Children would just think it is the boy's name, with no other reference. The name "Jesus" is more likely to get teased than "Messiah".
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #273
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Tenn. judge changes infant's name from 'Messiah'

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Except it isn't common in most areas to refer to Jesus as "the Messiah", especially not in a way where every child would even know about it. Children would just think it is the boy's name, with no other reference. The name "Jesus" is more likely to get teased than "Messiah".
    Sorry. I have to disagree. Jesus (or Hesus, as it is pronounced - not Jesus) is a very popular Hispanic name which most kids are familiar with. I guess you're right that it depends upon where you are though.

  4. #274
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,552
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Tenn. judge changes infant's name from 'Messiah'

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Actually, no they haven't had that discretion. The name has to be shown to be either a violation of a law or actually something that could be offensive, not just inappropriate because of someone's beliefs. There are laws that prevent certain names due to profanity or using characters or numbers in the name, but the name Messiah does not actually break those rules. It is just a name.

    If someone wanted to name their child "God", should someone else be allowed to change it? What about "Zeus", "Odin", "Aphrodite", "Shiva", or "Ra"? What about "Allah"? Although these may be offensive to some people, it isn't really insulting anyone. It is just a name.
    Are you sure you have the appropriate state statute in mind?

    In any case, there is a lot of subjectivity inherent in determining whether or not a name is offensive.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  5. #275
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Tenn. judge changes infant's name from 'Messiah'

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Sorry. I have to disagree. Jesus (or Hesus, as it is pronounced - not Jesus) is a very popular Hispanic name which most kids are familiar with. I guess you're right that it depends upon where you are though.
    That is my point, it would depend on where you are. I never met a Hispanic person throughout my school years. I was raised in backwoods NC. There were blacks and whites and even some different Asian students, but no Hispanic students. There could have been students who wrongly believed that Jesus, even as a Hispanic name, was referring to the Biblical reference and pronounce it as such.

    I dated a guy named "Jafar" (pronounced "Joffer"). He was raised in Georgia. Can you imagine how kids pronounced his name, particularly being of the age of Aladdin? (And his last name, which I won't provide, made it worse.) Should he be forced to get a name change just because kids could think he was a Disney villain? That is my point.

    There is no reason to believe truly that a name like "Messiah" is more likely to be teased than any other unusual name or any other name really just because it makes a biblical reference that most children wouldn't even connect. And those children that might connect it and have an issue with it are more of a worry to me than him getting teased by those ignorant children.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  6. #276
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Tenn. judge changes infant's name from 'Messiah'

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    Are you sure you have the appropriate state statute in mind?

    In any case, there is a lot of subjectivity inherent in determining whether or not a name is offensive.
    Which is why it should require an extreme offensiveness, not simply a someone was offended or might be. It should be something that could get someone in trouble in the military for saying to another person. It should be something that the FCC would not allowed to be said on TV during children hours or on children shows. Those types of things. Not a name that is in fact the 4th fastest growing name to name a child in the country. A name that tens of thousands of children already have around the country.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #277
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Tenn. judge changes infant's name from 'Messiah'

    Good Jesus

    goodjesus.jpg




    Bad Jesus

    badjesus.jpg
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  8. #278
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,552
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Tenn. judge changes infant's name from 'Messiah'

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Which is why it should require an extreme offensiveness, not simply a someone was offended or might be. It should be something that could get someone in trouble in the military for saying to another person. It should be something that the FCC would not allowed to be said on TV during children hours or on children shows. Those types of things. Not a name that is in fact the 4th fastest growing name to name a child in the country. A name that tens of thousands of children already have around the country.
    You mean the name "Messiah"? Really?

    Seems like a sorry thing to do, saddle a kid with a name of that sort.

    In any case, what you think ought to be and what a Judge can do appear to be two different things.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  9. #279
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Tenn. judge changes infant's name from 'Messiah'

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    You mean the name "Messiah"? Really?

    Seems like a sorry thing to do, saddle a kid with a name of that sort.

    In any case, what you think ought to be and what a Judge can do appear to be two different things.
    Yes, Messiah is the 4th fastest growing name in the US.

    Messiah - Boy | Baby Names, Name Meaning, Popularity | BabyCenter

    505 babies so far this year have been named "Messiah" for every million people. 379 last year for the US for every million. Since there are over 313 Million people in the US, that means that thousands of children have the name Messiah in the US. Even just adding up the numbers for the every million over the last 5 years gives you over 1000 children with the name Messiah.

    A judge can't do what many believe. Their decisions can be overturned and deemed to be inappropriate or beyond the scope of what the issue is. And it is likely that this one absolutely will be, particularly given the reason the judge gave as justification to change his name.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  10. #280
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Tenn. judge changes infant's name from 'Messiah'

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Yes, Messiah is the 4th fastest growing name in the US.

    Messiah - Boy | Baby Names, Name Meaning, Popularity | BabyCenter

    505 babies so far this year have been named "Messiah" for every million people. 379 last year for the US for every million. Since there are over 313 Million people in the US, that means that thousands of children have the name Messiah in the US. Even just adding up the numbers for the every million over the last 5 years gives you over 1000 children with the name Messiah.

    A judge can't do what many believe. Their decisions can be overturned and deemed to be inappropriate or beyond the scope of what the issue is. And it is likely that this one absolutely will be, particularly given the reason the judge gave as justification to change his name.
    I've never heard of anyone with the name Messiah before. I wonder where it's the "fastest growing name" (certainly not in my location)? I would never saddle my child with that or any other name, I know that. I still think parents who do this are not thinking at all of their children, but are thinking of themselves so they can say to their friends, "oh, aren't I clever that I came up with such-and-such a name?"

Page 28 of 41 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •