Page 27 of 41 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 270 of 403

Thread: Tenn. judge changes infant's name from 'Messiah'

  1. #261
    Sage
    SheWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:41 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    24,512

    Re: Tenn. judge changes infant's name from 'Messiah'

    I would change my last name

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    There's a small-time politician not too far from me whose last name is Cock. His tv ads pronounce it as "Coke".

    Sorry, dude, you ain't foolin' nobody.

  2. #262
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Tenn. judge changes infant's name from 'Messiah'

    Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    I would change my last name
    I would think about changing my name too. That must be an awful name to grow up with though. It's probably much worse when you're a kid and you can't change it.

  3. #263
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Tenn. judge changes infant's name from 'Messiah'

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I wonder, when the kid is older, if he will be happy or angry that the judge changed his name? I'm thinking happy.
    I'm betting it will be back to Messiah before the kid is old enough to actually say it correctly, or at least write it.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  4. #264
    Question authority
    Grand Mal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    on an island off the left coast of Canada
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    16,511
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Tennessee Judge orders baby's name be changed from 'Messiah'

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman05 View Post
    He wasn't a jew, he was a judean. And no, not really. All versions of Jesus in either language are ok as long as you take an interest in learning about the guy and what he did and what he taught people.

    And if you must attribute 1 name that matters, it should be Iesvs, his latin given name, because that's how he died for our sins.
    OhferCristssake.

  5. #265
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Tenn. judge changes infant's name from 'Messiah'

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    I'm betting it will be back to Messiah before the kid is old enough to actually say it correctly, or at least write it.
    Maybe. Poor kids have no control over who their parents are unfortunately.

  6. #266
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Tenn. judge changes infant's name from 'Messiah'

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    Maybe. Poor kids have no control over who their parents are unfortunately.
    Eh, that name really isn't that bad. There are much, much worse names. And if everyone were the same, with one of a set amount of names, it would be boring and confusing. Heck, one of the reasons I go by my full given name is because so many others with my name actually go by a nickname of it. (I've actually had a few people get upset because I didn't want to go by a shortened version since my first name has 4 syllables.)
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #267
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Tenn. judge changes infant's name from 'Messiah'

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    Eh, that name really isn't that bad. There are much, much worse names. And if everyone were the same, with one of a set amount of names, it would be boring and confusing. Heck, one of the reasons I go by my full given name is because so many others with my name actually go by a nickname of it. (I've actually had a few people get upset because I didn't want to go by a shortened version since my first name has 4 syllables.)
    I would hate if that was my name. The kids are going to call him/her (?) Messy.

    So many others go by Chris too, male and female. I still like my name though.

  8. #268
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    29,054

    Re: Tenn. judge changes infant's name from 'Messiah'

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisL View Post
    I would hate if that was my name. The kids are going to call him/her (?) Messy.

    So many others go by Chris too, male and female. I still like my name though.
    My brother used to call me "Lizard Breath" but I still like my name. And they could call this kid "Fartin Martin" or "Martin the Martian" or "Farty Marty". Kids can make any name into an insult if they are creative enough.

    There was an episode of Full House where Stephanie wanted to change her name because the kids started calling her "Step On Me" or something like that. Danny said she could change it but then what would happen if they started making fun of her new chosen name of Dawn. They could call her "Dawn-ald Duck" or start dancing around her singing the song from Bonanza (he actually demonstrated). That is why I loved that show. It actually addressed situations like this about names and teasing.

    There is no real reason to believe that children are more likely to tease him with the name Messiah and than they are to tease him with the name Martin. In fact, the fact that the judge changed it is more likely to cause problems for him than him having that name to begin with.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  9. #269
    Curmudgeon


    LowDown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:14 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    11,573
    Blog Entries
    11

    Re: Tenn. judge changes infant's name from 'Messiah'

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    Tenn. judge changes infant's name from 'Messiah'

    Tenn. judge changes infant's name from 'Messiah'
    Judges have always had the discretion not to change names to things that would offend others or are otherwise grossly inappropriate.

    That's why Tom Jones can't change his name to N*gg*r Jones, Nazi Jones, Sonofab**** Jones, Adolf Hitler Was a Saint Jones, KillKillKiillDie Jones, and the like.

    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --HL Mencken

  10. #270
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    07-16-14 @ 01:18 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    47,571

    Re: Tenn. judge changes infant's name from 'Messiah'

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    My brother used to call me "Lizard Breath" but I still like my name. And they could call this kid "Fartin Martin" or "Martin the Martian" or "Farty Marty". Kids can make any name into an insult if they are creative enough.

    There was an episode of Full House where Stephanie wanted to change her name because the kids started calling her "Step On Me" or something like that. Danny said she could change it but then what would happen if they started making fun of her new chosen name of Dawn. They could call her "Dawn-ald Duck" or start dancing around her singing the song from Bonanza (he actually demonstrated). That is why I loved that show. It actually addressed situations like this about names and teasing.

    There is no real reason to believe that children are more likely to tease him with the name Messiah and than they are to tease him with the name Martin. In fact, the fact that the judge changed it is more likely to cause problems for him than him having that name to begin with.
    Although what you say is true, I don't know if I agree totally with that. Kids with really weird names are going to tend to be picked on more than your kid with an average name, I would think, especially a name like "Messiah" which tends to cast certain qualities upon a person.

Page 27 of 41 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •