Page 24 of 41 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 403

Thread: Tenn. judge changes infant's name from 'Messiah'

  1. #231
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Tenn. judge changes infant's name from 'Messiah'

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    It still appears to me that "John Boehner" is pronounced like "Boner". I'm sure that even if it isn't supposed to be, that many children would assume it was.
    yeah, kids are cruel. and not just kids. I went to college with a guy whose last name was Eberhart. didn't stop us from calling him "never hard eberhart"
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  2. #232
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,799

    Re: Tenn. judge changes infant's name from 'Messiah'

    Luge Olympian from Austria: Manual Pfister

    Seton Hall Women's Basketball Coach: Phyllis Mangina

    Pole Vaulter: Kim Yoo Suck

    Boston Patriots: Dick Felt

    Arnold Palmer's classmate at Wake Forest and fellow pro golfer: Dick Tiddy

    Japanese female gymnast: Yoshi Takeshíta


    My two favorite names in sports:

    Buck Belue - QB, University of Georgia
    Baccari Rambo - Safety, Washington Redskins










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  3. #233
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:52 PM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,397

    Re: Tenn. judge changes infant's name from 'Messiah'

    Quote Originally Posted by OscarB63 View Post
    yeah, kids are cruel. and not just kids. I went to college with a guy whose last name was Eberhart. didn't stop us from calling him "never hard eberhart"
    That's actually kind of clever.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  4. #234
    Global Moderator
    Bodhidarma approves bigly
    Andalublue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Granada, España
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 01:21 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    26,111

    Re: Tenn. judge changes infant's name from 'Messiah'

    Quote Originally Posted by radcen View Post
    That's actually kind of clever.
    We had a guy at school called Eirik Bakke (I think his parents were Norwegian), of course his nickname was Chew.
    "The crisis will end when fear changes sides" - Pablo Iglesias Turrión

    "Austerity is used as a cover to reconfigure society and increase inequality and injustice." - Jeremy Corbyn

  5. #235
    Jedi Master
    Captain America's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:54 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,647

    Re: Tenn. judge changes infant's name from 'Messiah'

    Quote Originally Posted by Risky Thicket View Post
    Luge Olympian from Austria: Manual Pfister

    Seton Hall Women's Basketball Coach: Phyllis Mangina

    Pole Vaulter: Kim Yoo Suck

    Boston Patriots: Dick Felt

    Arnold Palmer's classmate at Wake Forest and fellow pro golfer: Dick Tiddy

    Japanese female gymnast: Yoshi Takeshíta


    My two favorite names in sports:

    Buck Belue - QB, University of Georgia
    Baccari Rambo - Safety, Washington Redskins
    Rusty Staub

    Dick Trickle

    LOL!

    Ever met a dude named Francis? Kid's can mock just about anything and they do.

    Even with a generic name like mine. I was forever getting Eddie Spaghetti. Eddie Haskell.

    Maybe that judge should have prevented my parents for naming me Edward. LOL!

    It's GREAT to be me. --- "45% liberal/55% conservative"
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy" until you can find a gun.

  6. #236
    Sewer Rat
    Risky Thicket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:58 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    23,799

    Re: Tenn. judge changes infant's name from 'Messiah'

    I was in the air force with a guy whose last name was Cloudy. I never knew his real first name. Everyone called him "Partly".










    "When Faith preaches Hate, Blessed are the Doubters." - Amin Maalouf

    When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. ~Dave Barry



  7. #237
    Farts in Elevators
    OscarB63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alabama
    Last Seen
    09-06-14 @ 07:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,526

    Re: Tenn. judge changes infant's name from 'Messiah'

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post

    Maybe that judge should have prevented my parents for naming me Edward. LOL!
    ditto...my parents named me Bruce
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

    An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.

  8. #238
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:08 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,157

    Re: Tenn. judge changes infant's name from 'Messiah'

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    On the other hand if she was doing as you say and simply talking about local perceptions she certainly worded it clumsily. I didn't get that sense from her statements as they were written in the article.
    She didn't preface her comments with "There are alot of Christians in this community and they believe that Jesus is the messiah..." It sounded to me like a statement of fact though I haven't read the full text of her comments, only what was reported in the media.
    Yes, impossible to say with any certainty what her argument actually was, because there appears to be no written order available. Everyone seems to be going off of two local news clips that were clearly edited from a longer interview.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    I agree with you I'm not sure the perception issue matters in the case. I would go one step further and say I'm not sure I want judges to have that level of authority over parents at all.
    I think I'm okay with it in really extreme cases - e.g. something like the use of race-based profanity is very likely to cause substantial harm to a child's social development - but it should be a case-by-case determination that stands up to strict scrutiny.

  9. #239
    Sage
    Taylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    US
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:08 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    6,157

    Re: Tenn. judge changes infant's name from 'Messiah'

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius46 View Post
    I agree with you I'm not sure the perception issue matters in the case. I would go one step further and say I'm not sure I want judges to have that level of authority over parents at all.
    Interesting side note:

    There appear to be many laws on the books that prohibit names for stupid, mostly administrative reasons: can't have a name that's too long, can't have a name that contains numbers, etc. In California, you can apparently name your baby Satan, Toilet Duck, or Jose, but you can't name him José.

    Although I'm happy that parents can't name their kids Se7en or R2D2 - I don't really see a valid reason for the limitation.

  10. #240
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,708

    Re: Tenn. judge changes infant's name from 'Messiah'

    The judge needs to be disbarred for blatantly overstepping his authority.
    The parents need to have their child taken away because they are abusive.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

Page 24 of 41 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •