Page 25 of 159 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 1584

Thread: Reid says Obamacare just a step toward eventual single-payer system[W:1539]

  1. #241
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    re: Reid says Obamacare just a step toward eventual single-payer system[W:1539]

    Quote Originally Posted by ItAin'tFree View Post
    Why don't they? Until Obama made things extremely difficult in landing a good job it was always easy enough to land a good enough job that provided health insurance if that's what a person wanted to do. For whatever reason, many people chose to do things that did not provide these type things. So when I hear someone whine about no health care, unless they have been laid off, most likely along the way they decided other things were more important. Might have parting, illegal drugs, working a job that paid more cash but no health insurance, been in jail, not motivated enough to go where the jobs are, and so on. if there is any fault or blame it's usually on them.

    And complaining about the costs? get out of here. The more the US government gets involved in healthcare, the higher the cost will rise. Until they just quit treating people or quit authorizing treatment.
    Stereotype much? No, that's not quite right. Really you're just making up wild nonsense. People work in this country, and long before Obama insurance was disappearing and / or being cut (costing more and providing less coverage). So, while we can always find someone who made a bad choice, it is also true that many do their part and simply can't access insurance.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #242
    Heavy Hitter


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    @
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    63,482

    re: Reid says Obamacare just a step toward eventual single-payer system[W:1539]

    Quote Originally Posted by ItAin'tFree View Post
    Why don't they? Until Obama made things extremely difficult in landing a good job it was always easy enough to land a good enough job that provided health insurance if that's what a person wanted to do. For whatever reason, many people chose to do things that did not provide these type things. So when I hear someone whine about no health care, unless they have been laid off, most likely along the way they decided other things were more important. Might have parting, illegal drugs, working a job that paid more cash but no health insurance, been in jail, not motivated enough to go where the jobs are, and so on. if there is any fault or blame it's usually on them.

    And complaining about the costs? get out of here. The more the US government gets involved in healthcare, the higher the cost will rise. Until they just quit treating people or quit authorizing treatment.
    There is so much wrong with this post, hell would freeze over before I had time to refute all of it. But...I'll start by saying health care costs have been soaring long before Obama became President.
    Healthcare Costs Soar Above Overall Inflation
    The average, per capita cost of providing healthcare services in the United States rose by 7.32% for the past 12 months ending in August, a rate of inflation wildly above the 1.1% overall inflation for the same period, according to new study by Standard & Poor's.

    The new numbers are consistent with a trend that from August 2000 to August 2010 has seen healthcare inflation rise 48% while overall Consumer Price Index has risen 26% for the same period, U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics data show.
    And, finding a good job became a problem as soon as Bill Clinton left the White House, if you want to play the partisan card.

  3. #243
    Guru
    Diogenes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Seen
    10-11-13 @ 06:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,980

    re: Reid says Obamacare just a step toward eventual single-payer system[W:1539]

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    Funny. Government healthcare seems to work pretty well for people over 65, just when they begin using the medical world for real. Fittingly it's called Medicare.
    I assume then that you haven't actually experienced it yet, and your opinion comes from the promotional material?
    "We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
    - Abraham Lincoln

  4. #244
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    re: Reid says Obamacare just a step toward eventual single-payer system[W:1539]

    Quote Originally Posted by Diogenes View Post
    I assume then that you haven't actually experienced it yet, and your opinion comes from the promotional material?
    As I asked another, do you know what it was like for the elderly before Medicare?

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #245
    Guru
    Diogenes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Seen
    10-11-13 @ 06:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,980

    re: Reid says Obamacare just a step toward eventual single-payer system[W:1539]

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    You are certainly correct that the medical industry is focused around the insurance companies--because they are footing a good chunk of the bill. The only difference is that you don't really want to put it into the hands of "the American people", but you want to put it into the hands of government. Sure we elect those folks, but it's not like we've done a great job of it, so why would we expect better from them with healthcare.

    Think about this. Why has the Lasik procedure gone down in price? It isn't covered by any insurance and it isn't controlled by government. All the country needs is a lot more competition and here government can help. They can allow for the insurance coverage across state lines and they can implement catastrophic coverage for all Americans. All Obamacare seems to do is create more rules and make things more complex--sort of like taxes.

    If I posted something here that you disagree with, please let me know what it is. If all you think is that I didn't go far enough, then you don't seem like someone who is willing to compromise.
    Well said, and spot on!
    "We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
    - Abraham Lincoln

  6. #246
    Guru
    Diogenes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Last Seen
    10-11-13 @ 06:52 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,980

    re: Reid says Obamacare just a step toward eventual single-payer system[W:1539]

    Quote Originally Posted by calamity View Post
    But...I'll start by saying health care costs have been soaring long before Obama became President.
    Agreed, ever since LBJ started his "war on poverty" and Congress started interfering with the system. Government involvement always raises the costs and decreases the efficiency of any system.
    "We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress & the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution."
    - Abraham Lincoln

  7. #247
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    re: Reid says Obamacare just a step toward eventual single-payer system[W:1539]

    Quote Originally Posted by AliHajiSheik View Post
    You are certainly correct that the medical industry is focused around the insurance companies--because they are footing a good chunk of the bill. The only difference is that you don't really want to put it into the hands of "the American people", but you want to put it into the hands of government. Sure we elect those folks, but it's not like we've done a great job of it, so why would we expect better from them with healthcare.

    Think about this. Why has the Lasik procedure gone down in price? It isn't covered by any insurance and it isn't controlled by government. All the country needs is a lot more competition and here government can help. They can allow for the insurance coverage across state lines and they can implement catastrophic coverage for all Americans. All Obamacare seems to do is create more rules and make things more complex--sort of like taxes.

    If I posted something here that you disagree with, please let me know what it is. If all you think is that I didn't go far enough, then you don't seem like someone who is willing to compromise.

    LASIK has gone down in price because it is elective, no longer new, the technology simple enough as to not require major expense, and still not cheap enough to allow all to get it. Good thing it isn't a needed procedure.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #248
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,710

    re: Reid says Obamacare just a step toward eventual single-payer system[W:1539]

    Quote Originally Posted by jonny5 View Post
    No, an actual textbook, or dictionary if you prefer



    In this case healthcare. The govts already own most of the hospitals, and the federal govt highly regulates healthcare. Its heading towards more control, not less. Why dont you just embrace the term and say theres nothing wrong with socialism. Why fight it?
    "More control" does not mean socialism. The very definition you just posted shows this. Airlines are heavily controlled, this does not mean we have socialized air travel.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  9. #249
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:49 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,550

    re: Reid says Obamacare just a step toward eventual single-payer system[W:1539]

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    "More control" does not mean socialism. The very definition you just posted shows this. Airlines are heavily controlled, this does not mean we have socialized air travel.
    Unless you count the fact that when the airlines "messed up" and allowed morons "armed" with boxcutters to drive their aircraft into buildings that the gov't assumed liability for that "mistake" and supplied them massive amounts of free security personnel, paid the claims of victims (an average of $1.7 million each) using tax money and called it "fair". Privatizing the profits while sharing (or taking all of) the losses is not quite socialism but it is surely not exactly a "free market" system.

    TARP was a similar scheme to protect the banking (and financial speculation) industry from "failing" to keep making massive amounts of money since they were too big to fail, yet apparently too small to weather the results of their massive greed on their own.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  10. #250
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    re: Reid says Obamacare just a step toward eventual single-payer system[W:1539]

    Quote Originally Posted by ttwtt78640 View Post
    Unless you count the fact that when the airlines "messed up" and allowed morons "armed" with boxcutters to drive their aircraft into buildings that the gov't assumed liability for that "mistake" and supplied them massive amounts of free security personnel, paid the claims of victims (an average of $1.7 million each) using tax money and called it "fair". Privatizing the profits while sharing (or taking all of) the losses is not quite socialism but it sure is not exactly a free market system.

    TARP was a similar scheme to protect the banking (and financial speculation) industry from "failing" to keep making massive amounts of money since they were too big to fail, yet apparently too small to weather the results of their massive greed on their own.
    Of course we rolled back regulations on banks, and are still reluctant to go far enough to actually stop that greed thing.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •