Page 136 of 159 FirstFirst ... 3686126134135136137138146 ... LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,360 of 1584

Thread: Reid says Obamacare just a step toward eventual single-payer system[W:1539]

  1. #1351
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    re: Reid says Obamacare just a step toward eventual single-payer system[W:1539]

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Oh, Good Lord, Boo, you really are nothing more than a big central govt. liberal where personal responsibility doesn't exist and the Federal taxpayer should bail even you out of poor choices you make. Sorry, that isn't what made this country great. Police, fire, and teachers are funded by state taxes, Obama bought union votes by his use of Federal funds to "save" jobs without even giving the states the opportunity to do it. That is a state responsibility, not a federal one. You live in the wrong country.
    You had your facts wrong. I just corrected you.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  2. #1352
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    re: Reid says Obamacare just a step toward eventual single-payer system[W:1539]

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    You had your facts wrong. I just corrected you.
    The Stimulus program was a single one time bill that isn't ongoing so you corrected nothing. The Stimulus paid off union supporters and bought votes. Nice diversion though from the topic.

  3. #1353
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    re: Reid says Obamacare just a step toward eventual single-payer system[W:1539]

    Quote Originally Posted by NIMBY View Post
    You'll look forever before you find I said this. Is this part of dishonesty schtick? How about Powell and Sensenbrenner? Why can'tor you answer that?
    Because I have no idea what you are talking about. Sensenbrenner wants to require voter ID and change the voter rights act. Haven't seen what he proposed.

  4. #1354
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    re: Reid says Obamacare just a step toward eventual single-payer system[W:1539]

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    The Stimulus program was a single one time bill that isn't ongoing so you corrected nothing. The Stimulus paid off union supporters and bought votes. Nice diversion though from the topic.
    Once again you are factually challenged:

    In fact, the federal government spends huge amounts of money to support all those professions.

    Back in the Lyndon Johnson administration, it started paying out Title 1 education funds, and this year, it is slated to spend $14.5 billion under Title 1. The money is meant to help disadvantaged schools. The bulk of it is used for personnel costs.

    In 1975, Congress passed the predecessor law to the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, designed to improve special education. Programs under IDEA received $11.6 billion in funding in 2012, and much of that money goes to hiring teachers.

    In all, the federal government pays for nearly 11 percent of the country's public school costs.


    Uncle Sam also funds thousands of police jobs ever since the Community Oriented Policing Services program was created in 1994. In its first eight years, COPS provided about a billion dollars annually, mostly for hiring. In 2010, separate from any stimulus spending, the federal government awarded $298 million for 1,388 officers. It spent $247 million to hire more than 1,000 officers in 2011. About 800 will be hired with $111 million in 2012. The Congressional Research Service estimated that as of January 2011 the program had paid for the hiring of 117,000 officers.

    Mitt Romney's 'Absurd' Claim Misses Billions In Federal Funds For Cops, Teachers, Firefighters

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  5. #1355
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    re: Reid says Obamacare just a step toward eventual single-payer system[W:1539]

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Once again you are factually challenged:

    In fact, the federal government spends huge amounts of money to support all those professions.

    Back in the Lyndon Johnson administration, it started paying out Title 1 education funds, and this year, it is slated to spend $14.5 billion under Title 1. The money is meant to help disadvantaged schools. The bulk of it is used for personnel costs.

    In 1975, Congress passed the predecessor law to the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, designed to improve special education. Programs under IDEA received $11.6 billion in funding in 2012, and much of that money goes to hiring teachers.

    In all, the federal government pays for nearly 11 percent of the country's public school costs.


    Uncle Sam also funds thousands of police jobs ever since the Community Oriented Policing Services program was created in 1994. In its first eight years, COPS provided about a billion dollars annually, mostly for hiring. In 2010, separate from any stimulus spending, the federal government awarded $298 million for 1,388 officers. It spent $247 million to hire more than 1,000 officers in 2011. About 800 will be hired with $111 million in 2012. The Congressional Research Service estimated that as of January 2011 the program had paid for the hiring of 117,000 officers.

    Mitt Romney's 'Absurd' Claim Misses Billions In Federal Funds For Cops, Teachers, Firefighters
    It isn't your responsibility to pay for my area's teachers, police, or fire fighters and that is reality nor is it mine to pay for yours. Where do you think the federal govt. gets the money to fund their spending?

  6. #1356
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    IL
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:16 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    36,805

    re: Reid says Obamacare just a step toward eventual single-payer system[W:1539]

    Sensenbrenner actually wants a VRA on the federal level. His fellow Repubs don't and won't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Because I have no idea what you are talking about. Sensenbrenner wants to require voter ID and change the voter rights act. Haven't seen what he proposed.

  7. #1357
    Sage
    Boo Radley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Last Seen
    11-22-17 @ 04:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    36,858

    re: Reid says Obamacare just a step toward eventual single-payer system[W:1539]

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    It isn't your responsibility to pay for my area's teachers, police, or fire fighters and that is reality nor is it mine to pay for yours. Where do you think the federal govt. gets the money to fund their spending?
    Again, you were factually incorrect. Understand that.

    AUSTAN GOOLSBEE: I think the world vests too much power, certainly in the president, probably in Washington in general for its influence on the economy, because most all of the economy has nothing to do with the government.

  8. #1358
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Last Seen
    09-24-17 @ 04:38 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    29,261

    re: Reid says Obamacare just a step toward eventual single-payer system[W:1539]

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Again, you were factually incorrect. Understand that.
    Wonder if theres ever been a bank robbery in Houston? As yanno that's the FBI's gig.

  9. #1359
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:24 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    re: Reid says Obamacare just a step toward eventual single-payer system[W:1539]

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    Wonder if theres ever been a bank robbery in Houston? As yanno that's the FBI's gig.
    Oh, so the FBI now is no different than your local Sheriff?

    The formation of the FBI at it's inception was a progressive idea, and likely unconstitutional.
    Last edited by j-mac; 08-27-13 at 09:18 AM.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  10. #1360
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    re: Reid says Obamacare just a step toward eventual single-payer system[W:1539]

    Quote Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
    Again, you were factually incorrect. Understand that.
    I understand you are incapable of admitting that you are wrong

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •