Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 58 of 58

Thread: Pepper spray jury rules against Nichols

  1. #51
    Guru

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    4,484

    Re: Pepper spray jury rules against Nichols

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Pepper spray is minimum force. What did you want the cops to do, buy her dinner?
    So you're saying that the police have no better way of removing this rather petite girl than striking her in the throat with a baton and aiming pepper spray directly into her mouth as she gasps for breath?

  2. #52
    Sage
    Fisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    12-06-13 @ 02:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    17,002

    Re: Pepper spray jury rules against Nichols

    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleDude View Post
    I think there is normally no way to force a prosecutor to indict someone. In some cases its due to what is called discretionary acts functions. IN other its either complete immunity or qualified immunity
    You can always try. Most government employees have some form of immunity, but the writ still exists. I have known of a few instances where I have seen a Judge do some pretty suspect things that were not well-supported in law because the Judge did not like the facts. That said, as a practical matter, in my area if it involves the local police and the performance of their duties it almost always involves bringing in an independent prosecutor from another part of the state, using state police or SBI investigators, and a Judge who normally sits in a different city or county to oversee the grand jury process and any ensuing case so there is no question whatsoever about the integrity of the legal process. The police always still get away with some pretty questionable things because of their own qualified immunity.

  3. #53
    warrior of the wetlands
    TurtleDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:00 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    180,700

    Re: Pepper spray jury rules against Nichols

    Quote Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
    You can always try. Most government employees have some form of immunity, but the writ still exists. I have known of a few instances where I have seen a Judge do some pretty suspect things that were not well-supported in law because the Judge did not like the facts. That said, as a practical matter, in my area if it involves the local police and the performance of their duties it almost always involves bringing in an independent prosecutor from another part of the state, using state police or SBI investigators, and a Judge who normally sits in a different city or county to oversee the grand jury process and any ensuing case so there is no question whatsoever about the integrity of the legal process. The police always still get away with some pretty questionable things because of their own qualified immunity.
    generally mandamus only will work if the action is non discretionary. If its discretionary, you cannot prevail



  4. #54
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: Pepper spray jury rules against Nichols

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    This had nothing to do because they were protesting. It's because they were violating other people's right.

    Why is it that those who cry rights are violated, support protesters to violate other people's rights?
    Any protest is violating other people's rights... it is so easy for the police to go out and say you are breaking the law with your protest, which is exactly what the police do.
    PeteEU

  5. #55
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    38,069

    Re: Pepper spray jury rules against Nichols

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    I disagree.

    How would you control the situation? Would you allow them to continue to violate other people's rights?

    What if they were violating your rights?
    what kind of rights ?
    "Sovereignty is not given, it is taken." ATATÜRK

  6. #56
    Sage
    Lord of Planar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Portlandia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:29 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    23,264

    Re: Pepper spray jury rules against Nichols

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Any protest is violating other people's rights... it is so easy for the police to go out and say you are breaking the law with your protest, which is exactly what the police do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    what kind of rights ?
    My God.

    I give up.

    I cannot believe people like you support those who violate other people's freedom of movement.

    I'm unsubscribing to this thread.

  7. #57
    Sage
    Medusa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Turkey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:03 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    38,069

    Re: Pepper spray jury rules against Nichols

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    My God.

    I give up.

    I cannot believe people like you support those who violate other people's freedom of movement.

    I'm unsubscribing to this thread.
    if they are attacked by pepper sprays because they want to use their right to protest something that disturbes them , it means there isnt already much freedom.....
    "Sovereignty is not given, it is taken." ATATÜRK

  8. #58
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: Pepper spray jury rules against Nichols

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Planar View Post
    My God.

    I give up.

    I cannot believe people like you support those who violate other people's freedom of movement.

    I'm unsubscribing to this thread.
    bye!....
    PeteEU

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •