Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 25 of 25

Thread: Washington Post to be sold to Jeff Bezos

  1. #21
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,732

    Re: Washington Post to be sold to Jeff Bezos

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan5 View Post
    You demonstrate how simple minds will run to the wildest extreme with as little information as possible. Then again that would self describe almost all Libertarians.



    Newspapers are worthless. There are a minimum of over 50 great global news sites with great authorship and for those that dig far more even. The concept of newspapers is obsolete. No local paper could possibly hope to give accurate news anyways to a globally connected world news consumer. Local news is inherently biased by its very nature.
    I am sorry you didn't catch sarcasm.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  2. #22
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,654

    Re: Washington Post to be sold to Jeff Bezos

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan5 View Post
    You demonstrate how simple minds will run to the wildest extreme with as little information as possible. Then again that would self describe almost all Libertarians.



    Newspapers are worthless. There are a minimum of over 50 great global news sites with great authorship and for those that dig far more even. The concept of newspapers is obsolete. No local paper could possibly hope to give accurate news anyways to a globally connected world news consumer. Local news is inherently biased by its very nature.
    Bias is inherent in the entire process of journalism.

    They aren't worthless until global news sites start doing their own reporting and investigative journalism, rather than rely on the work of the bigger outlets. Furthermore, local newspapers are probably going to be the best source for local and state information, as national outlets cannot decently cover micro-level developments to the degree that homegrown journalists can. What we have right now is some online outlets being able to report on a small number of things, while heavily relying on the established, but wounded traditional outlets.
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

  3. #23
    Professor
    Shadow Serious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Last Seen
    07-18-14 @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    1,460

    Re: Washington Post to be sold to Jeff Bezos

    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I agree, and it is a problem that has gotten more acute. Talk to the news people at the Washington Post and the left side of the blogosphere and you won't find a single one who will admit that overly biased content had anything to do with the paper's demise.
    Just like an alcoholic they first have to admit that their bias exists and has become a problem and that would apply to all media.

    Meanwhile, the Wall Street Journal is growing in readership and profit.

    What will Bezos do with it? I'll throw in my 2 cents and say that he ought to bite the bullet and put the whole thing behind a pay wall. Subscription only, no exceptions, like the Wall Street Journal.
    Yes, this is the only way that newspapers will be able to survice in the 21st Century. It is not a blog and cannot subsist on web ads only.

    My other recommendation for saving the newspaper industry is to ban all J-school grads from the news room and hire high school graduates and teach them how to write copy.
    This idea is good for the whole media. Well they can be College grads but I would also not hire English grads and Literature grads also.
    An Enlightened Master is ideal only if your goal is to become a Benighted Slave. -- Robert Anton Wilson

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    06-27-15 @ 05:50 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    2,191

    Re: Washington Post to be sold to Jeff Bezos

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Bias is inherent in the entire process of journalism.

    They aren't worthless until global news sites start doing their own reporting and investigative journalism, rather than rely on the work of the bigger outlets. Furthermore, local newspapers are probably going to be the best source for local and state information, as national outlets cannot decently cover micro-level developments to the degree that homegrown journalists can. What we have right now is some online outlets being able to report on a small number of things, while heavily relying on the established, but wounded traditional outlets.

    To demographics that matter, Newspapers are 100%, entirely, completely, absolutely worthless. They have no influence whatsoever.

    I cannot count on two hands the people that I know that have read a newspaper in the last few years.

  5. #25
    Angry Former GOP Voter
    Fiddytree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    25,654

    Washington Post to be sold to Jeff Bezos

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan5 View Post
    To demographics that matter, Newspapers are 100%, entirely, completely, absolutely worthless. They have no influence whatsoever.

    I cannot count on two hands the people that I know that have read a newspaper in the last few years.
    They matter a great deal. Bloggers and radio jockeys might disagree, but they suck, so who cares what they think?
    Michael J Petrilli-"Is School Choice Enough?"-A response to the recent timidity of American conservatives toward education reform. https://nationalaffairs.com/publicat...-choice-enough

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •