Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 250 of 276

Thread: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

  1. #241
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,173

    Re: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    "generally" and "with some limitations", as your sources point out. It's not absolute, like you've been trying suggest.
    wrong again
    unless you have an employment contract that says otherwise, and the termination is not for an EEO protected basis (age, gender, race, ethnicity, etc), you can be fired for any reason - or no reason. you are an at will employee
    similarly, you can leave your employer for any or no reason (again assuming there is no employment contract which specifies otherwise, removing you from the 'at-will' category)

    Example: A few weeks ago, my boss wanted me to haul an illegal over-dimensional load. I wasn't going to do it. He couldn't legally fire me for refusing.
    yes he could. accept this challenge: tell us what you could have done had he fired you, such that you could have retained your job
    Another example would be an employee refusing to perform tasks in such a way that are unsafe. The employee can't be fired for refusal.
    again, you could be fired and i again offer the same challenge, to show us what you could have done to retain your employment

    Not to mention, it's just bad business to fire someone without a good reason. Once word gets out, you'll never find worthwhile employees.
    in some industries, where they depend on a small pool of specially skilled potential hires, yes. otherwise, no
    with the large pool of ready applicants with the skills required to perform the job, the employer can cycle thru a lot of them and the supply of qualified candidates will remain adequate
    that changes when the economy favors the employee, and demand for labor exceeds supply
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  2. #242
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    wrong again
    unless you have an employment contract that says otherwise, and the termination is not for an EEO protected basis (age, gender, race, ethnicity, etc), you can be fired for any reason - or no reason. you are an at will employee
    similarly, you can leave your employer for any or no reason (again assuming there is no employment contract which specifies otherwise, removing you from the 'at-will' category)


    yes he could. accept this challenge: tell us what you could have done had he fired you, such that you could have retained your job

    again, you could be fired and i again offer the same challenge, to show us what you could have done to retain your employment


    in some industries, where they depend on a small pool of specially skilled potential hires, yes. otherwise, no
    with the large pool of ready applicants with the skills required to perform the job, the employer can cycle thru a lot of them and the supply of qualified candidates will remain adequate
    that changes when the economy favors the employee, and demand for labor exceeds supply
    So, you're telling me, that as a CDL operator, of a commercial motor vehicle, I can be fired for refusing to participate in illegal activity?

    Again, I hope you never operate your own business. You'll get your butt sued off, before it's said and done.

    You people hate the private business sector soooooo much, that you've never bothered to learn how it really works. Oh yeah...
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  3. #243
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,173

    Re: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    So, you're telling me, that as a CDL operator, of a commercial motor vehicle, I can be fired for refusing to participate in illegal activity?
    yep. you can be fired. in this instance for refusing to follow a direct order. but the employer does not even have to offer a reason for your termination; and the smart ones don't
    it is such things as the unfairness of at will employment which will cause labor to regain its former position of influence in our nation. so, if you don't like the idea of being fired for no reason, step up and help organize a union at your workplace. it only requires 50% plus one of the worker bees to make that happen

    Again, I hope you never operate your own business. You'll get your butt sued off, before it's said and done.
    if you only knew how many businesses i have been involved with
    one of the smartest people i know is my attorney. but other than an EEO claim, and a sears small claims suit, i have never been the defendant. and i won both of those, pro se


    You people hate the private business sector soooooo much, that you've never bothered to learn how it really works. Oh yeah...
    foolish comment. i spent my federal career assisting small businesses. those business owners appreciated my help to the degree that they have kept be very busy and well compensated during the ten years since my civil service retirement. would seem to be a strange way for someone who hates the private business sector to spend his time and effort
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  4. #244
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    yep. you can be fired. in this instance for refusing to follow a direct order. but the employer does not even have to offer a reason for your termination; and the smart ones don't
    it is such things as the unfairness of at will employment which will cause labor to regain its former position of influence in our nation. so, if you don't like the idea of being fired for no reason, step up and help organize a union at your workplace. it only requires 50% plus one of the worker bees to make that happen


    if you only knew how many businesses i have been involved with
    one of the smartest people i know is my attorney. but other than an EEO claim, and a sears small claims suit, i have never been the defendant. and i won both of those, pro se



    foolish comment. i spent my federal career assisting small businesses. those business owners appreciated my help to the degree that they have kept be very busy and well compensated during the ten years since my civil service retirement. would seem to be a strange way for someone who hates the private business sector to spend his time and effort
    Yep! Waste of time talking to you about this subject.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #245
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Seen
    01-22-17 @ 09:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    4,136

    Re: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by StillBallin75 View Post
    I'm not saying that the guy wasn't unjustly fired - if he's telling the truth, he may very well have been. But this has literally nothing to do with free speech or freedom of the press.
    Of course it doesn't. It was a private business decision. Its not like Obama called them up and told them to fire the guy.

  6. #246
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,173

    Re: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Yep! Waste of time talking to you about this subject.
    you're right (for a change)
    you have long ago lost this debate
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  7. #247
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    you're right (for a change)
    you have long ago lost this debate
    Well, that's not true and anyone who's spent more than a week running a business know that you better have a good reason to fire someone, or you're opening yourself up to a lawsuit that will cost you money, whether you win, or lose.

    Anyone that thinks an employee can be fired for refusing to participate in illegal activity is smoking crack, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #248
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:50 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,173

    Re: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Well, that's not true and anyone who's spent more than a week running a business know that you better have a good reason to fire someone, or you're opening yourself up to a lawsuit that will cost you money, whether you win, or lose.

    Anyone that thinks an employee can be fired for refusing to participate in illegal activity is smoking crack, too.
    what a point you make
    those business owners who tell their employees to do something known to be illegal
    are then going to be oh so worried about the legality of terminating those same employees
    they fire you
    no reasons given
    as an at will employee they get rid of you for whatever reason they have but refuse to share with you
    i don't like it either, but that's the reality
    and it is one of the reasons for employees to want a union on site to represent their interests
    you time waster, you:
    Yep! Waste of time talking to you about this subject.
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  9. #249
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,584

    Re: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by justabubba View Post
    what a point you make
    those business owners who tell their employees to do something known to be illegal
    are then going to be oh so worried about the legality of terminating those same employees
    they fire you
    no reasons given
    as an at will employee they get rid of you for whatever reason they have but refuse to share with you
    i don't like it either, but that's the reality
    and it is one of the reasons for employees to want a union on site to represent their interests
    you time waster, you:
    If you were right, companies would go through so much trouble creating written policies, for employees to follow. This isn't just to inform the employees of what and what not to do, but to also protect the company in the event of a lawsuit for wrongful discharge.

    If "wrongful discharge" didn't exist, the term wouldn't exist, either. I think you're greatly misinterpreting the law.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  10. #250
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    okla-freakin-homa
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 03:23 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    12,634

    Re: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Well, that's not true and anyone who's spent more than a week running a business know that you better have a good reason to fire someone, or you're opening yourself up to a lawsuit that will cost you money, whether you win, or lose. Anyone that thinks an employee can be fired for refusing to participate in illegal activity is smoking crack, too.
    Anyone who has run a business for more than a week knows you don't need a good reason to fire someone, just can't use a bad one.

    In Oklahoma they just need to say a person's services are no longer required... end of story.

    You can TRY and claim otherwise- good luck with that, the system is NOT set-up to support the worker.

    The threat of lawsuit is also dicey- first you need to have been fired from a company big enough to be worth an attorney's time and effort, next you need more than your say so- you really think the other guys will get fired over you?

    You need to be a rare commodity- truck drivers are not rare, I know plenty working under crap contracts with the dispatch company because there are lots of truck drivers around.

    To me the editor being fired shows that 'conservative' opinions on what constitutes freedom of speech gets trumped by Capitalism's idea of 'I pay your wages, you make me happy or I'll find someone else'. The marketplace spoke- it didn't like what that editor printed, and demanded a chance if the business was to continue getting their hard earned money.

    What part of marketplace forces do 'conservatives' not understand?

Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •