Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
Results 211 to 220 of 276

Thread: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

  1. #211
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    The editor was on-duty doing the work that he was assigned to do when he made his alleged mistake. If he was not given clear guidleines on how to do his work, and/or could reasonably assume that the headline was appropriate based on his prior experience at that job, he may have a case for wrongful termination. However, since he was working for the owner of the newspaper, not self employed, there is no first amendment or privacy issue in this case. It is a very different situation than an employee expressing an opinion while off-duty using a medium not owned or controlled by his/her employer.
    The one problem for him in terms of wrongful termination is that Tennessee, like Virginia, is a right to work state...the owner has wide latitude for firing the employee

  2. #212
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    The same crowd that wants to spill blood for workers's rights, are the ones that are defending this guy getting canned for doing his job.
    And many of those in the crowd that wants to spill blood for business owners rights are the ones that are the ones attacking the fact this guy got canned for causing problems for his employer

  3. #213
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    That depends on who's telling you that you can't publish it.
    In the case of this thread and what's being discussed in this topic, the people telling you that you can't publish it is the papers owner

  4. #214
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Is that what I funking said? No, it's funking not. Is it? Funking pay attention. Stop being so funking argumentative.
    God damn my iPads ****ing autocorrect

  5. #215
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    That poster wasn't me. Was it? Go bitch at him and address what I said and not what I didn't say.
    Sorry, silly me, thinking you'd do what everyone else in the thread was doing and making statements as they relate to the OP and the topic at hand. Apparently thinking people are talking about the actual topic of a thread was a poor assumption

  6. #216
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    That's great advice, could you clarify your stance so we can understand you...

    Is the owner of the paper infringing upon the rights of the editor by firing him?

    Are people protesting the paper due to the headline infringing upon the rights if the editor?

    Has anyone, in this particular cases infringed the rights of the editor and if so, who?
    Could be; we don't know for sure one way, or the other. If the owner violated the editor's contract, then yes, he is violating his rights. If the editor wasn't properly informed of what he could and couldn't do, then yes. According to the owner, he circumvented the process. According to the editor, they "change headlines at the last minute all the time". If the editor is correct and it's common occurance, not resulting in a termination, then yes, the editor's rights have been violated and the owner should probably be on the phone with his attorney.

    Did the owner violate his 1st Amendment rights? probably not, unless it can be proven that there was pressure from Obama staffers, then yes. If the editor was wrongfully fired, then the owner not only violated his rights, but broke the law.

    Regardless of what some folks may think, you can't just fire someone because you feel like it. You have to have a reason and that reason 99% of the time has to be a violation of written, company policy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  7. #217
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    God damn my iPads ****ing autocorrect
    I turned that crap off...lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #218
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    In the case of this thread and what's being discussed in this topic, the people telling you that you can't publish it is the papers owner
    You're wrong. The owner is telling the editor that he circumvented the process of changing the headline. The editor isn't technically getting fired for writing the editorial.

    Speaking of the OP, that is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #219
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Could be; we don't know for sure one way, or the other. If the owner violated the editor's contract, then yes, he is violating his rights. If the editor wasn't properly informed of what he could and couldn't do, then yes. According to the owner, he circumvented the process. According to the editor, they "change headlines at the last minute all the time". If the editor is correct and it's common occurance, not resulting in a termination, then yes, the editor's rights have been violated and the owner should probably be on the phone with his attorney.

    Did the owner violate his 1st Amendment rights? probably not, unless it can be proven that there was pressure from Obama staffers, then yes. If the editor was wrongfully fired, then the owner not only violated his rights, but broke the law.

    Regardless of what some folks may think, you can't just fire someone because you feel like it. You have to have a reason and that reason 99% of the time has to be a violation of written, company policy.
    Tennessee is an at will employment state

    Unless it can be shown his firing was because of discrimination for race, sex, age, religion, disability, or national origin then he's basically SOL. In an at will state an employer has the rights to fire employees for basically any reason that isn't specifically protected by law.

  10. #220
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,520

    Re: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    The one problem for him in terms of wrongful termination is that Tennessee, like Virginia, is a right to work state...the owner has wide latitude for firing the employee
    But now where, can you fire someone without a valid reason. In the case, the owner's reason could possibly be invalid.

    Valid, or not, it still doesn't protect him from spending a truckload of money defending his decision in court.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •