Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 276

Thread: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

  1. #191
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,494

    Re: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by Verax View Post
    What else would you call it? Why would you claim that people have a right to insert their beliefs in somebody else's newspaper against their will or else its a violation on the constitution? Who makes such a bizarre claim and changes it around every other page.
    Re-write that sentence so that we can understand it. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  2. #192
    Assassin
    Verax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    9,524

    Re: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Re-write that sentence so that we can understand it. Thanks!
    You can't even understand your own logic, red flag?

  3. #193
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,494

    Re: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by Verax View Post
    You can't even understand your own logic, red flag?
    I understand that the government can't tell you what you can, or can't write in anyone's newspaper; meaning that you have the right to do so. Just because your employer excercises his right to fire you over it, doesn't mean you don't have the right to write it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  4. #194
    Outer space potato man

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:43 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    51,828

    Re: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    Actually, Deuce claimed that writing for a privately owned newspaper isn't a constitutional right, which means that the government can regulate such activity.
    Liar.

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I think that everyone who claims I'm wrong is very, very confused.
    They are very, very confused because what I ACTUALLY wrote is easy to verify and you are very, very clearly making **** up.

    You, apdst, are the only person in this entire thread who has misunderstood what I wrote. Every other person has interpreted it correctly. You have not. I'll clarify for you:

    You, apdst, do not have a constitutional right to work for my company. If I own a paper, and don't like what you write, guess what? You're out of a job. It's my paper, what is written in it is key to my business, I don't need any reason beyond that to fire you. You do have some rights when it comes to working for me. I can't fire you because you're black, or Jewish, or a woman, or gay, for example. Your ****ty, misleading headlines? Not covered. Pack your bags, you're fired.
    Last edited by Deuce; 08-03-13 at 04:14 PM.
    He touched her over her bra and underpants, she says, and guided her hand to touch him over his underwear
    Quote Originally Posted by Lutherf View Post
    We’ll say what? Something like “nothing happened” ... Yeah, we might say something like that.

  5. #195
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:14 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,141

    Re: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse View Post
    Well, yeah...freedom of expression always comes with consequences...sometimes good and sometimes bad. When it comes to a job the employer has a right to think of the business' public image which might undermine profits. Like I said before, no one has a right to a job...but when employer's act like dicks they can expect to get yes-men for employees.
    and that's what they want, and what for the most part they have. This then isn't the news, isn't journalism, isn't editorial -- it's propaganda.

  6. #196
    Assassin
    Verax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:42 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    9,524

    Re: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by apdst View Post
    I understand that the government can't tell you what you can, or can't write in anyone's newspaper; meaning that you have the right to do so. Just because your employer excercises his right to fire you over it, doesn't mean you don't have the right to write it.
    So now you're sayi..

    nevermind,

    I'm going to quietly back out of this thread.

    ... see

    you...

    ........... later

  7. #197
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,494

    Re: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    If those rights were endowed by our creator they would have been there AT THE BEGINNING. Or are you suggesting the creator just decided later that blacks should have the same rights as whites and women should vote later on.
    They were there, at the beginning. People interfered with those rights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  8. #198
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,494

    Re: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Liar.



    They are very, very confused because what I ACTUALLY wrote is easy to verify and you are very, very clearly making **** up.

    You, apdst, are the only person in this entire thread who has misunderstood what I wrote. Every other person has interpreted it correctly. You have not. I'll clarify for you:

    You, apdst, do not have a constitutional right to work for my company. If I own a paper, and don't like what you write, guess what? You're out of a job. It's my paper, what is written in it is key to my business, I don't need any reason beyond that to fire you. You do have some rights when it comes to working for me. I can't fire you because you're black, or Jewish, or a woman, or gay, for example. Your ****ty, misleading headlines? Not covered. Pack your bags, you're fired.
    I hope you never operate your own business, because if you do, you will definitely get sued for wrongful discharge. As a newspaper owner, you are required to tell me what and how to write articles; what's off limits and what is fair game. Unless you do that, I can write anything I please, any way I please. It should be included in the written job description, that you provide me upon hiring. You'll need it when you go to court.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  9. #199
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Gawd I love this. Same crowd that argues you can call your boss an asshat on Facebook and he can't fire you because that is "free speech".
    The editor was on-duty doing the work that he was assigned to do when he made his alleged mistake. If he was not given clear guidleines on how to do his work, and/or could reasonably assume that the headline was appropriate based on his prior experience at that job, he may have a case for wrongful termination. However, since he was working for the owner of the newspaper, not self employed, there is no first amendment or privacy issue in this case. It is a very different situation than an employee expressing an opinion while off-duty using a medium not owned or controlled by his/her employer.

  10. #200
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:22 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,494

    Re: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by CriticalThought View Post
    Gawd I love this. Same crowd that argues you can call your boss an asshat on Facebook and he can't fire you because that is "free speech".
    The same crowd that wants to spill blood for workers's rights, are the ones that are defending this guy getting canned for doing his job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •