Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 276

Thread: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

  1. #101
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by AuntiE View Post
    "We have different ways of dealing with speech directed at different people" when one is a public figure and the other is a private figure.

    Change your example from the public figure being the President to the public figure being Jay Leno. Right or wrong once an individual becomes a "public figure", the inherent right against outlandish accusations quickly departs.
    Publicly expressed outright lies about anyone can be slander/libel is they are clearly false. Calling Obama, or any president involved in a war or deadly covert actions, a murderer is arguably true. If you say that publicly about your neighbor you need to be able to prove it if there is a lawsuit.

  2. #102
    Sage
    PeteEU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 04:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    29,090

    Re: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by trfjr View Post
    Read more: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure | Fox News



    the lefts war on freedom of speech and press

    The liberal manifesto
    I believe in free speech as long as I agree with that speech
    I believe in freedom of the press as long as they are not critical of me
    I believe in the freedom to protest as long as you don't protest me
    I believe in free expression as long as you express my views
    LOL where were you during the Bush years? Outerspace?
    PeteEU

  3. #103
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 06:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,945
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by trfjr View Post
    would you think the paper was safe to assume they would receive reprisal from this administration like they have proved they are more them willing to do with whom they think are a political threat
    No

    Nor do I think it's safe to assume that the paper would assume that.

    At least not without some sort of evidence.


    fwiw, the Chattanooga Free Press is the conservative side of that news operation. I suspect that they would wet their pants with joy if they were being leaned upon by Obama. It'd make an awesome story that would generate a great deal of traffic and therefore income.
    I may be wrong.

  4. #104
    User AuntiE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    44th Least Free State
    Last Seen
    11-25-13 @ 10:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    100

    Re: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard Truth View Post
    Publicly expressed outright lies about anyone can be slander/libel is they are clearly false. Calling Obama, or any president involved in a war or deadly covert actions, a murderer is arguably true. If you say that publicly about your neighbor you need to be able to prove it if there is a lawsuit.
    I did not imply or state stating such a thing about your neighbor could not result in a lawsuit. My comment was about public figures.

    "I would rather be exposed to the inconvenience of too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson

  5. #105
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by trfjr View Post
    im not arguing against the news papers right to hire or fire. im arguing against the left thinking they have the right to protest the news paper and pressuring them to silence speech they don't like

    you have the right to protest but you don't have the right to protest to have some one silenced. you cant use a right to violate some one elses rights
    You are wrong and fortunately the law disagrees with you. Anyone has a right to call for anyone's firing as part of their free speech rights. The decision to fire or not is in the hands of their employers. It is within the employer's free speech rights to decide whether to take public opinion into consideration or not when deciding whether to fire an employee of a newspaper or other media outlet.

  6. #106
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,148

    Re: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

    ... you don't have the right to protest to have some one silenced ...
    bull ****
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

  7. #107
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,990

    Re: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Country stations were responding to calls and letters from their listeners.
    So? As I said, according to the OP that's seemingly "supression of free speech" because people were calling and writing for them to stop speech.

  8. #108
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,990

    Re: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by TiredOfLife View Post
    You don't think Obama is being harmed by being called a Murderer but the neighbor is?
    Not in any tangable sort of way, and the law agrees with me on this point. Public Figures require a higher burden of proof that they've been "damaged" by speech, in part because generalized negative speech about them has a harder time cause legitimate "harm" to them compared to the same with non-public figures.

    I have the feeling that both of them dislike being called something that should offend them so there goes your "rights as long as I don't harm others theory".
    Again, you show your ignorance on this issue. "Being offended" is not "harming". You are not free to be "offended". The issue with accusations of murder or other forms of slander/defamation for someone like your neighbor is not because it's "offending" them, it's because it has a legitimate potential to cause safety, legal, and economic issues for them.

    If you say "That business had ****ty service" and it offends the business owner, too bad. If you start making up lies about the business and making an orchastrated effort to cost them customers, then you're running into an issue because you're tangably harming them through fraudulent speech.

    As I said, if your theory was valid I could drive one hundred miles an hour and ignore all the red lights, as long as no one else was around, and it doesn't work that way, not in the real world.
    No, that theory doesn't. Let's first ignore the idoitic obvious notions that 1) driving a car isn't speeech and 2) I've never suggested that EVERY action should be legal as long as it's not directly actively harming someone else...

    You're on public road ways and regardless of whether or not you can see people at any given point there is a realistic and reasonable understanding that at any given point you could come upon another vehicle and that going at that high of a speed would prevent a significant risk to them. Your example is like firing a gun into the air in public and suggesting that it should be fine if the bullet doesn't come down and hit anyone. The fact that no one got hit, or the fact that no car got onto the road as you were flying down the highway, doesn't change the fact you're acting recklessly in a public location that at any moment could REASONABLY have other innocent citizens in the path of your reckless behavior.

    If you're on your private property, on a dirt road you've made yourself, and you want to go flying around it at 100 mph that's no problem. There is no reasonable assumption that other motorists at any point could be going onto your road and thus being put in danger. However, going on PUBLIC roadways there is an expectation that other people have as much a right to use it as you and could use it at any given moment, and as such you need to be going at a speed that should adequetely allow you (and them) to account for each other in a safe manner.

    You BADLY need to:

    1) learn what you're actually talking about before you speak

    2) stop functioning off a ridiculous stereotype of what anyone who has "Conservative" as their lean thinks and basing all your comments on that

    3) cease attempting pathetic "gotcha" style posts when you're clearly lobbing up easy balls to knock out of the park.

  9. #109
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,990

    Re: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by TiredOfLife View Post
    It's his argument, not mine, that A has all the rights possible until he infringes upon the rights of B, which isn't true. It very much depends upon who is B therefore the argument fails.
    Yes, it's my argument not yours...and Justabubba just basically seconded what I alreayd said and backed it up in showing you that there's a legal difference with regards to public figures and thus why saying something about Obama is different than saying such about the neighbor. Your issue is seemingly that you believe being offended is "infringement"

  10. #110
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,990

    Re: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by trfjr View Post
    You do realize Tennessee is a very red state and the paper probably received more praise then criticism over the article from subscribers so it is very safe to assume the complaints came from out of state from non subscribers.
    So? Do those individuals not have their own rights to speech? To protest? Does the paper owner not have the right to take consideratoin of complaints from non-subscribers?

    And to use your own horrible style of arguments "We don't KNOW that the complaints weren't from subscribers!!!"

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •