Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 276

Thread: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

  1. #91
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:37 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,290
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by sawyerloggingon View Post
    Country stations were responding to calls and letters from their listeners.
    So much like this situation.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #92
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    12-08-13 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,114

    Re: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    If there's any proof that the government actually took actoin to get the guy fired, then that's a problem. There's absolutely zero proof aof that right now. Saying "how do you know" is not legitimate reasoning to get upset.

    How do you know that the Founder's weren't actually space aliens that created the constitution in league with the Devil!? We must seriously consider, act, and rant based on it being true because HOW DO WE KNOW IT'S NOT?!!!!!!! OMG!!!!
    You do realize Tennessee is a very red state and the paper probably received more praise then criticism over the article from subscribers so it is very safe to assume the complaints came from out of state from non subscribers. There are many left wing organizations that their sole purpose is to flood news organizations and businesses with complaints and threatening letters if any of them does anything that remotely is critical of Obama, and all of them do Obamas biding. It doesn't take much rational thought to connect the dots

  3. #93
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

    Writing a letter criticizing an editorial does not violate free speech, Boycotting a media outlet does not violate free speech.

    Arresting and imprisoning someone for the content they create is a violation of free speech, and when the content is sexually explicit, most conservatives support the violation.

  4. #94
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

    Although I disagree with the writer's opinions, I don't have particular problem with the editorial headline. Editorials aren't journalism, so they can ethically use any headline they want.

    If anyone violated the guy's rights, it his bosses. Not the people who complained, they had no power to fire him.

  5. #95
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,896
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by trfjr View Post
    You do realize Tennessee is a very red state and the paper probably received more praise then criticism over the article from subscribers so it is very safe to assume the complaints came from out of state from non subscribers.
    Do you think it's safe to assume that the paper made a decision to go against the wishes of their subscribers based on what non-subscribers said?

    Quote Originally Posted by trfjr View Post
    It doesn't take much rational thought to connect the dots
    It should take some evidence though. ...at least imho.
    I may be wrong.

  6. #96
    User AuntiE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    44th Least Free State
    Last Seen
    11-25-13 @ 10:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    100

    Re: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Where was freedom of speech infringed?



    Where was freedom of the press infringed?



    Where was freedom of protest infringed?



    Where was freedom of expression infringed?
    How on earth do you manage to live in Herndon and be Conservative?

    "I would rather be exposed to the inconvenience of too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson

  7. #97
    User AuntiE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    44th Least Free State
    Last Seen
    11-25-13 @ 10:07 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    100

    Re: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by TiredOfLife View Post
    Good. Now tell me why calling Obama a murderer won't get me in trouble but saying the same thing about my neighbor, even if he is one, likely will? It's all Free Speech right? Tell us why we have different ways of dealing with speech directed at different people? Doesn't Obama have a right not to be called something false or slanderous just like the guy next door?
    "We have different ways of dealing with speech directed at different people" when one is a public figure and the other is a private figure.

    Change your example from the public figure being the President to the public figure being Jay Leno. Right or wrong once an individual becomes a "public figure", the inherent right against outlandish accusations quickly departs.

    "I would rather be exposed to the inconvenience of too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson

  8. #98
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    01-17-16 @ 05:09 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    9,122

    Re: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

    The owner of the newspaper was exercising his/her free speech rights.

  9. #99
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    12-08-13 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,114

    Re: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by Simon W. Moon View Post
    Do you think it's safe to assume that the paper made a decision to go against the wishes of their subscribers based on what non-subscribers said?

    It should take some evidence though. ...at least imho.
    would you think the paper was safe to assume they would receive reprisal from this administration like they have proved they are more them willing to do with whom they think are a political threat

  10. #100
    Ideologically Impure
    Simon W. Moon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Fayettenam
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,896
    Blog Entries
    5

    Re: Editor fired for anti-Obama headline says bosses responded to pressure

    Quote Originally Posted by AuntiE View Post
    ...the inherent right against outlandish accusations quickly departs.
    It changes in degree and scope, but it still can be found.
    I may be wrong.

Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •