Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3745464748 LastLast
Results 461 to 470 of 480

Thread: US unemployment lowest in 4 years

  1. #461
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: US unemployment lowest in 4 years

    Quote Originally Posted by Donc View Post
    When walmart enters a market it brings with it depressed wages, displacing better-paying retail jobs. A study that I have read found also that when wallyworld enters a market it also eliminates similar jobs that pay about 18% more than walmart.

    Also total average earnings of retail workers fell by 0.5 to 0.8%.So add it up. Wallyworld adds to those on food stamps, wages go south, yet you’re championing for wallyworld and more foodstamps. Go figure.
    Is that right? What exactly did those retail businesses pay their employees? Your studies are skewed yet you buy them. People flock to Walmart for jobs, why? What chances for advancement do you get at a small retail facility? Employees at Walmart get education assistance, benefits, and the opportunity to run their own store.

    Don't shop at Walmart if you don't agree with their policies. Millions of Americans disagree with you.

  2. #462
    Renaissance Man
    Captain Adverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mid-West USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    8,558
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: US unemployment lowest in 4 years

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Sure you are, if not in practice, then surely in thought.
    I see, well if that's your measure I'll just label you a Nazi and dismiss your position as Fascist. You don't have to be one in practice, I'll just project the thoughts onto you. Wow. That was easy, now nothing you say has any value! Sweet! Have a nice day.
    If I stop responding it doesn't mean I've conceded the point or agree with you. It only means I've made my point and I don't mind you having the last word. Please wait a few minutes before "quoting" me. I often correct errors for a minute or two after I post before the final product is ready.

  3. #463
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: US unemployment lowest in 4 years

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse View Post
    I see, well if that's your measure I'll just label you a Nazi and dismiss your position as Fascist. You don't have to be one in practice, I'll just project the thoughts onto you. Wow. That was easy, now nothing you say has any value! Sweet! Have a nice day.
    j-mac nailed it and this is the best you can do. Look up the definition of Marxist and see might just see your picture there. You willingly buy the rhetoric that private business isn't paying its employees enough yet have offered no solutions to having them pay more. You see it is easy for someone with no investment in the business to demonize those who do. What should the average salary be for a cashier at Walmart? Why to people like broad brush every issue and put all employees into the same basket? Why is it people like you buy leftwing rhetoric that would deny an individual a chance for advancement in a major world corporation? Why is it that people like you who have never run anything in your life have such a warped view of private business?

    You see people like you buy the rhetoric and ignore the results. Walmart gives all its employees a chance for advancement, benefits including healthcare, tuition reimbursement, 401k's, dental, and more importantly a career path including advancement. Walmart is always judged by people like you on a govt. scale and on their starting wage not their ending wages or their success in developing people. This is a sad state of affairs in this country today.

  4. #464
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: US unemployment lowest in 4 years

    Quote Originally Posted by winston53660 View Post
    If you have more pertinent info please post it. Other wise you are just flapping your lips. The fact still remains a good portion of wall mart employees are paid below poverty wages. And we get to subsidize these people via our tax dollars so that wall mart can run a business.
    Take it from the Walmart site itself and stop looking at starting pay as an example of the future at Walmart. The opportunity to make between 50,000 and 170,000 a year is a huge opportunity for someone who lacks the education but does have the work ethic and initiative to get ahead. Seems that is a lost art for people like you

    Working At Walmart - Walmart Careers

  5. #465
    Renaissance Man
    Captain Adverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mid-West USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    8,558
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: US unemployment lowest in 4 years

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    j-mac nailed it and this is the best you can do. Look up the definition of Marxist and see might just see your picture there. You willingly buy the rhetoric that private business isn't paying its employees enough yet have offered no solutions to having them pay more. You see it is easy for someone with no investment in the business to demonize those who do. What should the average salary be for a cashier at Walmart? Why to people like broad brush every issue and put all employees into the same basket? Why is it people like you buy leftwing rhetoric that would deny an individual a chance for advancement in a major world corporation? Why is it that people like you who have never run anything in your life have such a warped view of private business?

    You see people like you buy the rhetoric and ignore the results. Walmart gives all its employees a chance for advancement, benefits including healthcare, tuition reimbursement, 401k's, dental, and more importantly a career path including advancement. Walmart is always judged by people like you on a govt. scale and on their starting wage not their ending wages or their success in developing people. This is a sad state of affairs in this country today.
    No, he didn't "nail it." Where in ANY of my posts other than "minimum wage" issues have I ever stated a business should be compelled to do anything? Or that government interference in business practices should be condoned? NO WHERE!

    I have consistently argued for "enlightened self-interest," meaning a business should recognize when it's practices may be extremely profitable, but are economically detrimental to their own society in the long run. By pointing out the detriments I was attempting to show this was true. By warning of the possible repercussions, based on a knowledge of HISTORY, I was providing valid warnings of why it would be best to take voluntary action rather than create situations that lead to such threats.

    Just because you refuse to accept realities and hide behind what you think justifies rapacious business practices does not support placing negative labels on opponents in order to dismiss their arguments as unworthy of consideration. In all honesty, while I was being facetiously sarcastic with j-mac, that is exactly one of the tricks used by the Nazi regime during it's period in power and a favorite tactic of totalitarians of all colors.

    I did not use "rhetoric" I provided FACTS! This is your response? Geez.
    Last edited by Captain Adverse; 08-09-13 at 10:57 AM.
    If I stop responding it doesn't mean I've conceded the point or agree with you. It only means I've made my point and I don't mind you having the last word. Please wait a few minutes before "quoting" me. I often correct errors for a minute or two after I post before the final product is ready.

  6. #466
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: US unemployment lowest in 4 years

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse View Post
    No, he didn't "nail it." Where in ANY of my posts other that "minimum wage" issues have I ever stated a business should be compelled to do anything? Or that government interference in business practices should be condoned? NO WHERE!

    I have consistently argued for "enlightened self-interest," meaning a business recognize it's practices may be extremely profitable, but are economically detrimental to their own society in the long run. By pointing out the detriments I was attempting to show this was true. By warning of the possible repercussion, based on a knowledge of HISTORY, I was providing valid warnings of why it would be best to take voluntary action rather than create situations that lead to such threats.

    Just because you refuse to accept realities and hide behind what you think justifies rapacious business practices does not give you the right to place negative labels on opponents in order to dismiss their arguments as unworthy of consideration. In all honesty, while I was being facetiously sarcastic with j-mac, that is exactly one of the tricks used by the Nazi regime during it's period in power and a favorite tactic of totalitarians of all colors.

    I did not use "rhetoric" I provided FACTS! This is your response? Geez.
    I have provided facts, your so called facts are selective and distorted. you look at the initial hiring and starting wages and project that out to everyone else. Not once have I heard you talk about the benefits Walmart provides to the community in terms of taxes, community involvement/support, and job base. Not once have I heard you talk about career opportunities for people with limited education background and not once have I heard you talk about the benefits Walmart offers. People like you have such short term live for today attitudes that you ignore the long term benefits that are available to Walmart employees.

    Working At Walmart - Walmart Careers

  7. #467
    Renaissance Man
    Captain Adverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mid-West USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    8,558
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: US unemployment lowest in 4 years

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    I have provided facts, your so called facts are selective and distorted. you look at the initial hiring and starting wages and project that out to everyone else. Not once have I heard you talk about the benefits Walmart provides to the community in terms of taxes, community involvement/support, and job base. Not once have I heard you talk about career opportunities for people with limited education background and not once have I heard you talk about the benefits Walmart offers. People like you have such short term live for today attitudes that you ignore the long term benefits that are available to Walmart employees.

    Working At Walmart - Walmart Careers
    Because there ARE no benefits aside from "always low prices." Since I understand you are a retiree on a fixed pension then of course NOW Wal-Mart gives YOU advantages by stretching your buying power. I never said that people aren't consistently short-sighted in their actions. Hence my emphasis on "short-term benefits" as opposed to long-term detriments.
    If I stop responding it doesn't mean I've conceded the point or agree with you. It only means I've made my point and I don't mind you having the last word. Please wait a few minutes before "quoting" me. I often correct errors for a minute or two after I post before the final product is ready.

  8. #468
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: US unemployment lowest in 4 years

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse View Post
    Because there ARE no benefits aside from "always low prices." Since I understand you are a retiree on a fixed pension then of course NOW Wal-Mart gives YOU advantages by stretching your buying power. I never said that people aren't consistently short-sighted in their actions. Hence my emphasis on "short-term benefits" as opposed to long-term detriments.
    I never worked for Walmart but yes I have a pension, 401K, and SS which I paid into. You are the one short sighted and there is no such thing as a short term benefit.

  9. #469
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:13 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,282

    Re: US unemployment lowest in 4 years

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse View Post
    Because there
    ARE no benefits aside from "always low prices." Since I understand you are a retiree on a fixed pension then of course NOW Wal-Mart gives YOU advantages by stretching your buying power. I never said that people aren't consistently short-sighted in their actions. Hence my emphasis on "short-term benefits" as opposed to long-term detriments.

    WallMart has a profit sharing plan. A truck driver who drove for them after 17 years recieved a check from them for over 750,000.

  10. #470
    Renaissance Man
    Captain Adverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mid-West USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:33 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    8,558
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: US unemployment lowest in 4 years

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    I never worked for Walmart but yes I have a pension, 401K, and SS which I paid into. You are the one short sighted and there is no such thing as a short term benefit.
    If you haven't been following the arguments I'm not going to repeat them. I will say that it seems to me for an person who has lived long enough to retire in our society you seem to have a weak grasp of history. What's the old saying about it repeating itself?
    If I stop responding it doesn't mean I've conceded the point or agree with you. It only means I've made my point and I don't mind you having the last word. Please wait a few minutes before "quoting" me. I often correct errors for a minute or two after I post before the final product is ready.

Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 3745464748 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •