Page 43 of 48 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 430 of 480

Thread: US unemployment lowest in 4 years

  1. #421
    Renaissance Man
    Captain Adverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mid-West USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    8,553
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: US unemployment lowest in 4 years

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Well, that is quite a diatribe for a simple paragraph posing three questions in which instead of answering, you chose to sanctimoniously personally attack me. I may not be a "captain of industry" as you say, but I recognize a run of the mill communist when I read one.
    I did answer your questions, by pointing out in my reply (forgive me but its true) how stupid they were. They are the typical dumbass questions people pose when they don't take into account what caused that $25 per hour janitor to exist in our country. I explained what led to that mess, and it surely wasn't greedy workers or their unions. Every one of the points I raised was a direct response to that foolish "meme" of blame everyone BUT corporate greed.
    If I stop responding it doesn't mean I've conceded the point or agree with you. It only means I've made my point and I don't mind you having the last word. Please wait a few minutes before "quoting" me. I often correct errors for a minute or two after I post before the final product is ready.

  2. #422
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 03:46 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,272

    Re: US unemployment lowest in 4 years

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse View Post
    I did answer your questions, by pointing out in my reply (forgive me but its true) how stupid they were. They are the typical dumbass questions people pose when they don't take into account what caused that $25 per hour janitor to exist in our country. I explained what led to that mess, and it surely wasn't greedy workers or their unions. Every one of the points I raised was a direct response to that foolish "meme" of blame everyone BUT corporate greed.

    Sorry, I have little time for pseudo intellectual Marxists.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  3. #423
    Renaissance Man
    Captain Adverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mid-West USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    8,553
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: US unemployment lowest in 4 years

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    Sorry, I have little time for pseudo intellectual Marxists.
    I'm not a "marxist" nor a communist and labeling me one does not win your point. I believe in free enterprise and I don't think business should be forced to do anything. What I am consistently arguing for is that business people exercise more enlightened self-interest. The sort of thing I used to see in America when a person OWNED the factory and had a personal relationship with his employees. Where they were treated like family, and in return they busted ass for their boss. They paid workers enough so they could buy other goods and those other factory workers could earn a living and buy your bosses goods.

    Corporations have made it impersonal, a mere numbers game. To satisfy the faceless stockholders who have no more stake in the business than their monetary investment and who therefore only care about maximum return on that investment, business managers act only on that imperative. So close local factories, reopen new ones overseas, outsource jobs, then open American outlet stores and pay $10 per hour but only let "full time" employees work 28 hour weeks...that's your American dream?

    Meanwhile your $14.00 shirt was made by a Bangladeshi employee who earned $0.18 an hour for a 12 - 15 hour workday and lives in squalor on starvation rations. That's what you want American workers to return to? Hell, if $0.18 cents had the same value here as it did back when you could buy a good horse for $20, I might be willing to work for that wage too. Sheesh.
    Last edited by Captain Adverse; 08-08-13 at 01:06 AM.
    If I stop responding it doesn't mean I've conceded the point or agree with you. It only means I've made my point and I don't mind you having the last word. Please wait a few minutes before "quoting" me. I often correct errors for a minute or two after I post before the final product is ready.

  4. #424
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,259

    Re: US unemployment lowest in 4 years

    Adverse;1062158974]Crap wages exist when the employee qualifies for welfare. Many part-time Wal-Mart employees do. Crap wages exist when an employee has to use Food Stamps. Many full-time Wal-Mart employees do. Crap wages exist when the employee cannot even afford the company insurance plan and has to use Medicaid. Many Wal-Mart employees do. Most tellingly, crap wages exist when Wal-Mart instructs it's own employees on their access to Welfare, Food Stamps, and Medicaid and suggests they use those resources to supplement their incomes.
    u
    Thank you, Comrade, do you have a solution? Please cite your sources when you say many Walmart employees qualify for welfare and who are those employees? How long do they qualify and what exactly is the wage structure for Walmart? You make some wild claims yet offer no proof other than opinion pieces of others. Find out exactly what Walmart employees make from the Walmart site and you will find out exactly who makes what and for what period of time.

    Have you ever been to a Walmart store during their interviewing process to staff the store. Did you notice all the armed guards outside the store forcing those people to apply? Where does personal responsibility rest in your world?


    As of 01/13 only 29% of American homeowners were free and clear of mortgage debt. Most of them live in areas of the country with low value housing. That meant having a smaller mortgage paid off sooner. Guess how many people own their home free and clear | Retiring to Arizona Blog

    Millions of people have lost their homes and it is projected another 3 million will lose them in the next few years. How Many People Have Lost Their Homes? US Home Foreclosures are Comparable to the Great Depression | Global Research
    I know this is hard for you to understand but not all people in this country even have a mortgage and many bought homes they couldn't afford. A home is an asset, an investment. Mortgage rates remain at record lows thus there is no better investment in a home that you can afford. As a Libertarian do you believe it is the taxpayer's responsibility to provide you with a home for where to you think the govt. gets its money?

    Not sure what your point is but sounds to me like you are promoting govt. forced wages, benefits, and housing. You claim you aren't a Marxist?



    Well, when you live in those small towns like the movie showed you, then circumstances force you to shop at Wal-Mart, once they put every competitor out of business.
    And as a shopper that bothers you? Walmart isn't in every town and where they are they raise the standard of living because small businesses cannot pay the wages and benefits that Walmart can. I competed against Walmart and understand them much better than the articles you are quoting and the rhetoric you are buying.

    As for job options, what EFFIN market are YOU looking at? Using BLS "statistics," there are currently 3.9 million jobs available in the entire USA . There are still officially 11.5 million Americans seeking jobs (not counting 2.4 million marginally attached unemployed). That means even if every effin job in the USA was filled TODAY, there would still be 7.6 million unemployed.
    Open the want ads in your community and tell me there aren't pages of job openings? When you have a President that is demonizing the private sector and promoting massive govt. dependence there is no incentive for the private sector to grow and create jobs. Regulations that prevent offshore drilling, the Keystone pipeline, refinery construction. plants from moving into communities because they are non union, high state and local taxes all prevent growth

    I agree that small businesses are the backbone of this nation. What I see is Wal-Mart slowly eating away at that backbone. Sounds like you didn't even look at the film I provided did you? Or if so, you just cut off when you got bored seeing something that disagrees with your personal viewpoint.
    Walmart is one company that employees hundreds of thousands in a nation of 312 million. I have seen a lot of anti Walmart films and none of them really address reality and refute my 35 years of business experience.

    If you had you would see facts and figures, not just violins and tears, and you’d realize you were talking out of your rectal orifice. Seems to me the one who doesn’t understand what is happening to that backbone is you.
    Book smart street stupid facts don't refute real life experience and reality.

  5. #425
    Sage

    Donc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    out yonder
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,426

    Re: US unemployment lowest in 4 years

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    u
    Thank you, Comrade, do you have a solution? Please cite your sources when you say many Walmart employees qualify for welfare and who are those employees? How long do they qualify and what exactly is the wage structure for Walmart? You make some wild claims yet offer no proof other than opinion pieces of others. Find out exactly what Walmart employees make from the Walmart site and you will find out exactly who makes what and for what period of time.

    Have you ever been to a Walmart store during their interviewing process to staff the store. Did you notice all the armed guards outside the store forcing those people to apply? Where does personal responsibility rest in your world?




    I know this is hard for you to understand but not all people in this country even have a mortgage and many bought homes they couldn't afford. A home is an asset, an investment. Mortgage rates remain at record lows thus there is no better investment in a home that you can afford. As a Libertarian do you believe it is the taxpayer's responsibility to provide you with a home for where to you think the govt. gets its money?

    Not sure what your point is but sounds to me like you are promoting govt. forced wages, benefits, and housing. You claim you aren't a Marxist?





    And as a shopper that bothers you? Walmart isn't in every town and where they are they raise the standard of living because small businesses cannot pay the wages and benefits that Walmart can. I competed against Walmart and understand them much better than the articles you are quoting and the rhetoric you are buying.



    Open the want ads in your community and tell me there aren't pages of job openings? When you have a President that is demonizing the private sector and promoting massive govt. dependence there is no incentive for the private sector to grow and create jobs. Regulations that prevent offshore drilling, the Keystone pipeline, refinery construction. plants from moving into communities because they are non union, high state and local taxes all prevent growth



    Walmart is one company that employees hundreds of thousands in a nation of 312 million. I have seen a lot of anti Walmart films and none of them really address reality and refute my 35 years of business experience.



    Book smart street stupid facts don't refute real life experience and reality.
    <After analyzing data released by Wisconsin’s Medicaid program, the Democratic staff of the U.S. House Committee on Education and the Workforce estimates that a single 300- person Wal-Mart Supercenter store in Wisconsin likely costs taxpayers at least $904,542 per year and could cost taxpayers up to $1,744,590 per year – about $5,815 per employee.>

    WOW! Wisconsin taxpayer’s are ponying up $904,542 per year for one Wal-Mart store. Kinda makes you wonder how much the tax payer is coughing up across the country eh con?


    http://democrats.edworkforce.house.g...rt-May2013.pdf
    The haggardness of poverty is everywhere seen contrasted with the sleekness of wealth, the exhorted labor of some compensating for the idleness of others, wretched hovels by the side of stately colonnades, the rags of indigence blended with the ensigns of opulence; in a word, the most useless profusion in the midst of the most urgent wants.Jean-Baptiste Say

  6. #426
    I'm not-low all the time
    Kushinator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    West Loop
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:09 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    16,254

    Re: US unemployment lowest in 4 years

    My apologies for the late response.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    FFS Kush, defined using who's definition ?
    A toxic MBS is one that has collapsed in terms of price due to an interruption of cash flows owed to the security (default). Remember, F&F nearly went under due to a collapse in the housing market (which degenerated the value of their mortgage security portfolio) forcing immense write downs in conjunction with a dramatic spike in loan-loss-reserves. As an emergency measure and with the company already in receivership with the U.S. Treasury, they did purchase (at the market bottom) billions of toxic MBS's. Did F&F put forth enough due-diligence with respects to analyzing the loans they were purchasing? Nope! A most serious risk management failure. Now days, they no longer rely on ratings agencies to assure the values of the assets they purchase.

    Secondly, F&F were prohibited from purchasing sub-prime mortgage backed securities, the product of Wall Street; which is why they are due billions of dollars in settlements from a plethora of private lenders.

    The one that mitigates the actions of Fannie Mae as they lowered their standards year after year after year, buying up more loans with less and less capital requirements and eventually getting into NINA loans right when their regulator was warning Congress in 2004 of their impending doom ?
    WTF are you talking about, lowering standards? F&F are underwriters, they do not set the standards for lending. Who the lender decides to lend to is up to the actual.... lender. No-Income/No-Asset loans would be prohibited from F&F's mortgage security portfolio. Why on earth did Citi agree to pay Fannie $850 million?

    Your'e arguing that anything outside of prime was ok, with the small exception of ARMS...
    WTF are you talking about?

    Well then how in the f*** did we have a systemic market collapse Kush ?
    Not entertaining your strawman.

    So your'e telling me that the 40 billion a month of MBSs our FED is now purchasing are all ARMs?
    Where did i say such a thing? Show me.

    And the 5 TRILLION that got transfered over to our Treasury from Fannie and Freddie consist solely of fixed rate mortgages ?
    Another instance of putting words in my mouth.

    Because that was the baseDEFINITION of a CRA loan.
    CRA loans are about zip codes! It has nothing to do with low income borrowers, only low income neighborhoods. Now, it is true that potential low-income borrowers live in CRA districts. It's just that CRA loans were less likely to default relative to non-CRA loans of similar risk.



    And yes, Fannie Mae started this sh** in 1997 and by 2000.
    Nope! Private lenders and their special investment vehicles started this mess; issuing short term debt and then lending the proceeds to mortgage originators. The SIV's would then package the debt into specific securities and sell them as mortgage bonds. Sometimes F&F would purchase them, but during the bubble years it was primarily the likes of Goldman Sachs, Bear Stearns, Morgan Stanley, Merryl Lynch, Lehman, etc....

    Not to be left out: the same investment banks mentioned above were also heavily active in the mortgage securitization market, often creating exotic instruments e.g. synthetic MBS's (securities composed entirely of credit derivatives, or credit default swaps). You see, it is the synthetic assets that did the most damage because they were highly leveraged on their very foundations, not to mention the fact that IB's were purchasing them on margin. As the value of the asset falls, the asset that derives its value based on the volatility of underlying asset will rise or fall exponentially.

    Of course, there were a few people who took the short sides of these positions. Think Hank Paulson. Hell, even Goldman settled on allegations it held short positions prior to selling investors long positions on various MBS, and not disclosing it.

    Hell by 2008 Fannie and Freddie held over 70% of all crap mortages or MBSs backed by crap mortgages.
    Even if we assume your figure is true, it still does not attest as to how these mortgages came into existence. Why were lenders purposefully creating risky mortgages and passing them off as low risk investments? That is the very definition of fraud. That's right, I'll ask again! Even if we assume F&F were just a couple of bonehead companies blindly buying up any mortgage they could, why was the market saturated with such fraud?

    But in reality:

    ff11.jpg

    ff12.jpg
    It is not very unreasonable that the rich should contribute to the public expense, not only in proportion to their revenue, but something more than in that proportion.
    "Wealth of Nations," Book V, Chapter II, Part II, Article I, pg.911

  7. #427
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,246

    Re: US unemployment lowest in 4 years

    Quote Originally Posted by Kushinator View Post
    My apologies for the late response.




    A toxic MBS is one that has collapsed in terms of price due to an interruption of cash flows owed to the security (default). Remember, F&F nearly went under due to a collapse in the housing market (which degenerated the value of their mortgage security portfolio) forcing immense write downs in conjunction with a dramatic spike in loan-loss-reserves. As an emergency measure and with the company already in receivership with the U.S. Treasury, they did purchase (at the market bottom) billions of toxic MBS's. Did F&F put forth enough due-diligence with respects to analyzing the loans they were purchasing? Nope! A most serious risk management failure. Now days, they no longer rely on ratings agencies to assure the values of the assets they purchase.

    Secondly, F&F were prohibited from purchasing sub-prime mortgage backed securities, the product of Wall Street; which is why they are due billions of dollars in settlements from a plethora of private lenders.



    WTF are you talking about, lowering standards? F&F are underwriters, they do not set the standards for lending. Who the lender decides to lend to is up to the actual.... lender. No-Income/No-Asset loans would be prohibited from F&F's mortgage security portfolio. Why on earth did Citi agree to pay Fannie $850 million?



    WTF are you talking about?



    Not entertaining your strawman.



    Where did i say such a thing? Show me.



    Another instance of putting words in my mouth.



    CRA loans are about zip codes! It has nothing to do with low income borrowers, only low income neighborhoods. Now, it is true that potential low-income borrowers live in CRA districts. It's just that CRA loans were less likely to default relative to non-CRA loans of similar risk.





    Nope! Private lenders and their special investment vehicles started this mess; issuing short term debt and then lending the proceeds to mortgage originators. The SIV's would then package the debt into specific securities and sell them as mortgage bonds. Sometimes F&F would purchase them, but during the bubble years it was primarily the likes of Goldman Sachs, Bear Stearns, Morgan Stanley, Merryl Lynch, Lehman, etc....

    Not to be left out: the same investment banks mentioned above were also heavily active in the mortgage securitization market, often creating exotic instruments e.g. synthetic MBS's (securities composed entirely of credit derivatives, or credit default swaps). You see, it is the synthetic assets that did the most damage because they were highly leveraged on their very foundations, not to mention the fact that IB's were purchasing them on margin. As the value of the asset falls, the asset that derives its value based on the volatility of underlying asset will rise or fall exponentially.

    Of course, there were a few people who took the short sides of these positions. Think Hank Paulson. Hell, even Goldman settled on allegations it held short positions prior to selling investors long positions on various MBS, and not disclosing it.



    Even if we assume your figure is true, it still does not attest as to how these mortgages came into existence. Why were lenders purposefully creating risky mortgages and passing them off as low risk investments? That is the very definition of fraud. That's right, I'll ask again! Even if we assume F&F were just a couple of bonehead companies blindly buying up any mortgage they could, why was the market saturated with such fraud?

    But in reality:

    ff11.jpg

    ff12.jpg
    No reason to apologize Kush, I knew you would get around to it.

    With out diving back into the rabble and repeating myself I'll just reiterate my initial premise of what started the whole ball a rollin'.

    Govt policies that lowered underwriting standards based on the false pretense of " redlining ".

    Was there private malfeasance and corruption ? Hell yes.

    If a Governemnt enables the issue of easy money and easy credit and then pumps Trillions into a market created for the sole purpose of addressing some false narrative of social and economic justice then there is a good chance every slimey character in the investment markets
    is going to take advantage of it.

    What I've tried to show was that Government corruption and private corruption went hand in hand and the existence of the secondary market actually depended on it.

    It gets old listening to people go on and on over the evil bankers as they elect politicians who were just as if not more complicit int the creation of the sub-prime market.

    Bill Clinton, Janet Reno, Chris Dodd, Bzrney Frank, Andrew Cuomo, Maxine Waters, Franklin Raines, the 72 Democrats that penned a letter to George Bush warning him not to regulate Fannie. Angelo Mozillo, Eric Holder, Obama Valerie Jarret, ACORN, Henrey Cisneros, Jamie Gorelick, Chuck Schumer, Artur Davis....

    It goes on and on and on..

    You want to nail the bankers ? With out the actions of the people I just named the bankers would have NEVER been able to take advantage of the Sub-Prime Market.

    The rules had to be changed first Kush, mandated changes from Clintons 1995 National Homeowners Strategy had to occur first before any greedy investment banker could start through putting Trillions in MBSs backed by low quality loans.

  8. #428
    Renaissance Man
    Captain Adverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mid-West USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    8,553
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: US unemployment lowest in 4 years

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Thank you, Comrade, do you have a solution? Please cite your sources when you say many Walmart employees qualify for welfare and who are those employees? How long do they qualify and what exactly is the wage structure for Walmart? You make some wild claims yet offer no proof other than opinion pieces of others. Find out exactly what Walmart employees make from the Walmart site and you will find out exactly who makes what and for what period of time.
    I know conservative communists exist in the membership in the Communist Party, but I didn't realize you were a member. Else why use the term Comrade when addressing anyone? Unfortunately I am neither a communist nor a Marxist so I cannot return the favor.

    Strangely though, as you are probably well-aware, the Federal government does not track welfare beyond the basic statistics indicating there are 47 million Americans on Food Stamps and 4.3 million on full or partial Welfare. Thankfully a number of state do, and here are some facts in support you asked for or can find for yourself:

    Ohio information: January 2012 shows Wal-Mart employees top the chart in Food Stamp recipients 14,799, employed Welfare recipients 803, and Medicaid 16,908. https://docs.google.com/file/d/1nisc...rive_web&pli=1

    In a 24 State survey of Medicaid enrollment Wal-Mart led the pack of businesses whose employees used that system in all of them except Vermont. Hidden Taxpayer Costs | Good Jobs First

    More facts can be found here (at least as of November 2012) if you are willing to follow the sources cited. Please IGNORE quotes in the article made by Mr. Alan Grayson. My point is not to support his political position. PolitiFact | Alan Grayson says more Walmart employees on Medicaid, food stamps than other companies

    BTW, in case you think only “liberals and commies” think this way (and I am neither), here is an article from one of your ultra-conservative bloggers:

    The Walmart Welfare Queen - AND Magazine The Case for Conservatives Against WalMart

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    I know this is hard for you to understand but not all people in this country even have a mortgage and many bought homes they couldn't afford. As a Libertarian do you believe it is the taxpayer's responsibility to provide you with a home for where to you think the govt. gets its money?
    No I do not believe taxpayers have any such responsibility. I am also well-aware that most Americans do not own their own homes. I was merely replying to another member who cited home ownership in his response for some reason.

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    And as a shopper that bothers you? Walmart ….where they are they raise the standard of living because small businesses cannot pay the wages and benefits that Walmart can. I competed against Walmart and understand them much better than the articles you are quoting and the rhetoric you are buying.
    Really? Now it’s time to turn the table around and ask you to provide YOUR citations to support these “facts.” I provided mine in that film you ignored. Hopefully you won’t try to use Wal-Mart P.R. propaganda to refute it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Open the want ads in your community and tell me there aren't pages of job openings? When you have a President that is demonizing the private sector and promoting massive govt. dependence there is no incentive for the private sector to grow and create jobs. Regulations that prevent offshore drilling, the Keystone pipeline, refinery construction. plants from moving into communities because they are non union, high state and local taxes all prevent growth.
    Here I am using figures provided by the government, which are lower than the ones I would prefer using since I don’t believe our economists or government are addressing Hidden Unemployment. So the U-3 figures I am using are the LEAST number of unemployed still seeking work for all jobs currently available in the USA (absent a couple hundred thousand seasonal farm jobs).

    Are you trying to claim that there would not be AT LEAST 7.6 million American job seekers still out of work even after filling every single available job in the current US job market?!?! I’d say there would be MILLIONS more, using the figures I think are ignored in Hidden unemployment.

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Walmart is one company that employees hundreds of thousands in a nation of 312 million. I have seen a lot of anti Walmart films and none of them really address reality and refute my 35 years of business experience.
    They are indisputably the biggest retail employer in the USA. They are also the most rapacious, conniving, and economically destructive retail employer too. Facts are facts, whether you choose to ignore them or not.

    IMO the long-term effects of this type of business model will eventually undermine our already shaky economy. That is just an opinion of course. However to make my final point clear, aside from minimum wage laws I really don’t dabble in government control of business. I advocate businesses act with enlightened self-interest. When they don’t, as in the case of Wal-Mart, I would support local citizens taking action like that in the film to keep Wal-Mart out of their local economy.
    Last edited by Captain Adverse; 08-08-13 at 04:31 PM.
    If I stop responding it doesn't mean I've conceded the point or agree with you. It only means I've made my point and I don't mind you having the last word. Please wait a few minutes before "quoting" me. I often correct errors for a minute or two after I post before the final product is ready.

  9. #429
    Sage

    Donc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    out yonder
    Last Seen
    12-06-17 @ 09:26 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    9,426

    Re: US unemployment lowest in 4 years

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse View Post
    I know conservative communists exist in the membership in the Communist Party, but I didn't realize you were a member. Else why use the term Comrade when addressing anyone? Unfortunately I am neither a communist nor a Marxist so I cannot return the favor.

    Strangely though, as you are probably well-aware, the Federal government does not track welfare beyond the basic statistics indicating there are 47 million Americans on Food Stamps and 4.3 million on full or partial Welfare. Thankfully a number of state do, and here are some facts in support you asked for or can find for yourself:

    Ohio information: January 2012 shows Wal-Mart employees top the chart in Food Stamp recipients 14,799, employed Welfare recipients 803, and Medicaid 16,908. https://docs.google.com/file/d/1nisc...rive_web&pli=1

    In a 24 State survey of Medicaid enrollment Wal-Mart led the pack of businesses whose employees used that system in all of them except Vermont. Hidden Taxpayer Costs | Good Jobs First

    More facts can be found here (at least as of November 2012) if you are willing to follow the sources cited. Please IGNORE quotes in the article made by Mr. Alan Grayson. My point is not to support his political position. PolitiFact | Alan Grayson says more Walmart employees on Medicaid, food stamps than other companies

    BTW, in case you think only “liberals and commies” think this way (and I am neither), here is an article from one of your ultra-conservative bloggers:

    The Walmart Welfare Queen - AND Magazine The Case for Conservatives Against WalMart



    No I do not believe taxpayers have any such responsibility. I am also well-aware that most Americans do not own their own homes. I was merely replying to another member who cited home ownership in his response for some reason.



    Really? Now it’s time to turn the table around and ask you to provide YOUR citations to support these “facts.” I provided mine in that film you ignored. Hopefully you won’t try to use Wal-Mart P.R. propaganda to refute it.



    Here I am using figures provided by the government, which are lower than the ones I would prefer using since I don’t believe our economists or government are addressing Hidden Unemployment. So the U-3 figures I am using are the LEAST number of unemployed still seeking work for all jobs currently available in the USA (absent a couple hundred thousand seasonal farm jobs).

    Are you trying to claim that there would not be AT LEAST 7.6 million American job seekers still out of work even after filling every single available job in the current US job market?!?! I’d say there would be MILLIONS more, using the figures I think are ignored in Hidden unemployment.



    They are indisputably the biggest retail employer in the USA. They are also the most rapacious, conniving, and economically destructive retail employer too. Facts are facts, whether you choose to ignore them or not.

    IMO the long-term effects of this type of business model will eventually undermine our already shaky economy. That is just an opinion of course. However to make my final point clear, aside from minimum wage laws I really don’t dabble in government control of business. I advocate businesses act with enlightened self-interest. When they don’t, as in the case of Wal-Mart, I would support local citizens taking action like that in the film to keep Wal-Mart out of their local economy.
    Originally Posted by Conservative

    Walmart is one company that employees hundreds of thousands in a nation of 312 million. I have seen a lot of anti Walmart films and none of them really address reality and refute my 35 years of business experience.
    This part of cons post begs the question of how many good paying jobs did Walmart destroy when they were creating those low paying/gubmit sponsored jobs.

    And what was the dollar loss due to the loss of the multiplier effect of the Corp. money fleeing the local economy?
    The haggardness of poverty is everywhere seen contrasted with the sleekness of wealth, the exhorted labor of some compensating for the idleness of others, wretched hovels by the side of stately colonnades, the rags of indigence blended with the ensigns of opulence; in a word, the most useless profusion in the midst of the most urgent wants.Jean-Baptiste Say

  10. #430
    Renaissance Man
    Captain Adverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mid-West USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    8,553
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: US unemployment lowest in 4 years

    Quote Originally Posted by Donc View Post
    This part of cons post begs the question of how many good paying jobs did Walmart destroy when they were creating those low paying/gubmit sponsored jobs.

    And what was the dollar loss due to the loss of the multiplier effect of the Corp. money fleeing the local economy?
    I'm curious to know exactly what business he runs that successfully "competes" with Wal-Mart, and if it is located in a rural or city site. There are a number of common franchises that co-exist with Wal-Mart because they are not really in competition.

    For example, 7-11 convenience stores. They cater to the convenience market, people who are seeking a minor purchase and don't feel the need to go to Wal-Mart. Then there are Dunkin Donuts, McDonalds, and other food chains who served prepared fast food meals. There are tech reapair stores and auto-body repair shops, and many others that either don't or only partially compete with Wal-Mart. Again most of these businesses are service oriented.

    Where are the common consumer item factories and local production retailers?

    To paraphrase what several business owner's stated in the film I provided; don't mention Wal-Mart and American business in the same sentence, it's an oxy-moron.
    If I stop responding it doesn't mean I've conceded the point or agree with you. It only means I've made my point and I don't mind you having the last word. Please wait a few minutes before "quoting" me. I often correct errors for a minute or two after I post before the final product is ready.

Page 43 of 48 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •