Page 32 of 48 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
Results 311 to 320 of 480

Thread: US unemployment lowest in 4 years

  1. #311
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,291

    Re: US unemployment lowest in 4 years

    Quote Originally Posted by pinqy View Post
    But why discouraged and not all marginally attached or all who say they want a job?

    Is someone who stopped looking for work due to discouragement able to get a job? No, not until they start looking? So adding them in as unemployed makes the rate worse than it really is because you're adding people who could not be hired, while the UE rate is supposed to measure those who failed to get work that month not months ago.
    Do you realize that the number of discouraged workers depends on the honesty of the individual surveyed and thus can be manipulated? How do you know whether a discouraged worker isn't someone who simply ran out of unemployment benefits and thus really should be classified as unemployed? The fact is this employment report is truly a disaster, 988,000 discouraged workers, 11.5 million unemployed, and a decline in the labor force all four years after the end of the recession. The economic nightmare under Obama continues.

  2. #312
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: US unemployment lowest in 4 years

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    It doesn't have to be in the Constitution.
    And there, in a nutshell is why we must return to a Constitutional form of government. There are many idiots who do not understand that Constitutions identify what governments may do and what they may not do. If it is not explicitly allowed then the government cannot do it.

    Of course all governments tend toward the accumulation and centralization of power until tyranny occurs, becomes the norm and is overthrown, usually with bloodshed.

  3. #313
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: US unemployment lowest in 4 years

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Nearly all states experience severe economic conditions as the direct result of the economic meltdown and not due to unions. What a major red herring. Without federal dollars many more jobs would have been cut due to the recession.
    Two points.

    First point: The jobs "saved" were public sector union jobs.
    Second point: When the economy cannot support public sector union jobs they must be cut not saved.

  4. #314
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: US unemployment lowest in 4 years

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Chile refused to bail out the economy for a few years before they could no longer function. We most certainly can take a lesson from them since many of their privatized policies are here at our front door. What exactly do you think would have happened if we did nothing?
    Don't do "nothing". Roll back the massive bureaucratic state with its 100,000 regulations, 2.5 million busybody bureaucrats and the ninnies on the Potomic. Stop stealing property from those who created it. Get the government off the backs of the people and the businesses.

  5. #315
    Guru
    pinqy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,374

    Re: US unemployment lowest in 4 years

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    Do you realize that the number of discouraged workers depends on the honesty of the individual surveyed and thus can be manipulated?
    And that's a big argument against including them as unemployed: it's too subjective when we want an objective measure. It only tells us what people believe, or say they believe, not how things really are.

    How do you know whether a discouraged worker isn't someone who simply ran out of unemployment benefits and thus really should be classified as unemployed?
    The only question is job search.


    The fact is this employment report is truly a disaster, 988,000 discouraged workers, 11.5 million unemployed, and a decline in the labor force all four years after the end of the recession. The economic nightmare under Obama continues.
    I'm not saying things are rosey, but if you look at the U4?? Which includes discouraged, it's 8% now compared to 8.7% last year.
    Therefore, since the world has still/Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure/Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would,/And train for ill and not for good.

  6. #316
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,291

    Re: US unemployment lowest in 4 years

    Quote Originally Posted by pinqy View Post
    And that's a big argument against including them as unemployed: it's too subjective when we want an objective measure. It only tells us what people believe, or say they believe, not how things really are.

    The only question is job search.



    I'm not saying things are rosey, but if you look at the U4?? Which includes discouraged, it's 8% now compared to 8.7% last year.
    That is a terrible number in an economy the size of ours especially since the part time employment has ballooned. The stagnant economic growth is hurting job creation, the labor force contracted last month and we still have fewer people working than before the recession began. That is the sign of very poor leadership and economic policies. The number of discouraged workers has been extremely high during this Administration and that says a lot about Obama's economic policies.

    I disagree with you, anyone not working but able to work should be counted as unemployed.

  7. #317
    Sage
    jmotivator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    16,697

    Re: US unemployment lowest in 4 years

    Quote Originally Posted by pinqy View Post
    I clearly understand it much better than you.

    Apparently you don't.


    How does that work? How could they take a job they haven't applied for or even asked about? How could they take a job without looking for one? The people aren't available until they try to find work.

    This is obviously false. The simple fact that people were forced into retirement or gave up looking for work doesn't mean they wouldn't take a job if they thought there were jobs to have. When the economy starts to come back to life these people will start looking again. These people NEED jobs even if they are too beat down to look.

    Also, there is the issue of the uncounted marginally employed workers who working jobs well below their qualifications, or working part time now instead of full time. These people need full time employment, but they don't show up in the U-3 statistic. The country could have half of the nation working part time at a fast food restaurant and the U-3 statistics would look great while the reality is horrible.

    If you want a better barometer of the status of the job market in a single number then the U-6 is the better number. It is at least closer to the actual number of people feeling the pain of the market


    anyone not trying to work is not available for work. That shouldn't't even be a discussion.

    This is comically false. I have to assume you are being painfully dense because you have no other choice. If two people are stranded in the middle of the ocean and one is swimming towards a distant island while the other has given up does that mean only the swimmer needs rescuing?

  8. #318
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,320

    Re: US unemployment lowest in 4 years

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Good grief
    Truth hurts doesn't it.

  9. #319
    Guru
    pinqy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,374

    Re: US unemployment lowest in 4 years

    Quote Originally Posted by jmotivator View Post

    This is obviously false. The simple fact that people were forced into retirement or gave up looking for work doesn't mean they wouldn't take a job if they thought there were jobs to have.
    No one has said otherwise. But let's re_examine what I said and you claim is false: "The people aren't available until they try to find work."
    Ok, explain how. Person X has not so now anything to find a job since January. How could she have been hired in July?

    When the economy starts to come back to life these people will start looking again.
    But until they do, can they be hired?
    These people NEED jobs even if they are too beat down to look.
    Not necessarily. Need and desperation aren't factors. Paris Hilton giving up looking for a tv job would make her discouraged.

    Also, there is the issue of the uncounted marginally employed workers who working jobs well below their qualifications,
    You'd win the Nobel Prize if you could figure out how to measure that.

    or working part time now instead of full time.
    They're measured. But they're not unemployed.

    These people need full time employment, but they don't show up in the U-3 statistic. The country could have half of the nation working part time at a fast food restaurant and the U-3 statistics would look great while the reality is horrible.
    It's not a qualitative measure...all it's supposed to measure is percent of people who could, in reality, have been working. That it doesn't measure something it's not supposed to isn't a flaw.

    If you want a better barometer of the status of the job market in a single number then the U-6 is the better number. It is at least closer to the actual number of people feeling the pain of the market
    Right. But the U3 isn't meant to "measure the pain" it's meant to be an objective measure of the labor market....the U6 is very subjective.


    This is comically false. I have to assume you are being painfully dense because you have no other choice. If two people are stranded in the middle of the ocean and one is swimming towards a distant island while the other has given up does that mean only the swimmer needs rescuing?
    Wrong question. The analogous question is which one could reach the island.
    Therefore, since the world has still/Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure/Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would,/And train for ill and not for good.

  10. #320
    Sage
    rabbitcaebannog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Last Seen
    12-09-17 @ 08:35 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,918

    Re: US unemployment lowest in 4 years

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    BK is not the same for business as it is for private individuals. Companies that went out of business would have left a void that other more stable business models would have picked up. That is the fact.
    We all know which businesses would have been wiped out. Probably the only ones to exist would be the conglomerate multinationals. That would not at all be good for citizens.

Page 32 of 48 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •