Page 24 of 48 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
Results 231 to 240 of 480

Thread: US unemployment lowest in 4 years

  1. #231
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: US unemployment lowest in 4 years

    Quote Originally Posted by washunut View Post
    It seems honest debate does not impress you. Do you think that the NY Senators would be able to sell to their constituents that making $250K per year makes you a billionaire. Try buying a condo in NYC and get back to us.

    The reality is that there was no need to compromise with republicans as the tax cuts were due to expire did not go there because of pushback from his party.

    political debate does not have to mean dishonest or ignoring facts. We complain about Washington, but this site shows that there can be no real discussions because people just need to make stuff up fighting for "their side".
    Actually there was just such a need because Obama needed republican votes. You can make up claims all you want, but it won't change reality.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  2. #232
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,328
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: US unemployment lowest in 4 years

    Quote Originally Posted by Conservative View Post
    The idea of compromise to a liberal is picking winners and losers along with redistributing wealth. This Administration doesn't compromise for to compromise would be to actually sit down with the Opposition until something positive is accomplished. Obama sets the tone and that tone has been negative from day one, Stimulus passes with very little GOP Support due to the focus of that stimulus, Obamacare passes with no GOP input or support. Yes, that bodes well for bipartisanship.

    Obama should tell Harry Reid to get those bills out of his desk and let the Senate debate them. Obama should call the Congress into session and sit down with the leaders in a locked room and come up with a solution to stimulate and grow the private sector economy that Obama is overseeing.
    No, the idea of compromise is giving something to get something. Your idea of compromise is getting what you want and to hell with any one else.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham

    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddytree View Post
    Uh oh Megyn...your vagina witchcraft is about ready to be exposed.

  3. #233
    Guru
    pinqy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,369

    Re: US unemployment lowest in 4 years

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    You avoided the question....Why are they unavailable?
    can you hire someone who has not applied for a job and is unknown to you that s/he wants or needs a job? No, you can't. Therefore they are not available.

    Fred has not looked for a job, including asking family and friends if they knew of anything, since last October. In July, big surprise, he is not hired. There are 2 million people like Fred, none of them get hired. Is this a surprise? Does this tell us anything about getting a job? No.

    George was laid off last July, but has steadily looked for a job. In July he is not not hired. Does this tell us about how hard it is to find work? Yes.
    Therefore, since the world has still/Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure/Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would,/And train for ill and not for good.

  4. #234
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: US unemployment lowest in 4 years

    Quote Originally Posted by pinqy View Post
    can you hire someone who has not applied for a job and is unknown to you that s/he wants or needs a job? No, you can't. Therefore they are not available.

    Fred has not looked for a job, including asking family and friends if they knew of anything, since last October. In July, big surprise, he is not hired. There are 2 million people like Fred, none of them get hired. Is this a surprise? Does this tell us anything about getting a job? No.

    George was laid off last July, but has steadily looked for a job. In July he is not not hired. Does this tell us about how hard it is to find work? Yes.
    So why is Fred not looking?
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #235
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:25 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,304

    Re: US unemployment lowest in 4 years

    Quote Originally Posted by rabbitcaebannog View Post
    Ah, I don't know...perhaps not give them everything they wanted.

    Government spending that you're addressing has nothing to do with the loss of government jobs. What you are addressing is spending which was in place by appropriations and policies when Obama took office including a huge bail out. Under Obama, we see a sharp downturn in government jobs. That is the point I'm trying to make. We need more jobs in a recession not less. Obama could have bailed out states and allowed them to keep essential jobs instead of focusing on bailing out private institutions.

    Growing capital through financialization is a problem. This capital isn't being used to create jobs, through trade and commodity production in the economy, but rather a pattern of accumulation in which profit making occurs increasingly through financial channels. A particular group who is capitalizing on this economy is the rentier class which make their money off of passive income. We currently see massive amounts of payments to bondholders, laying off of public employees, exacerbating the cycle of unemployment and so people are buying less goods and services and don't pay much in taxes so less revenue comes in. Creditor friendly policies are harming our economy.

    I've not been brainwashed at all. I've looked at both sides of the argument and can clearly see the trend is toward privatizing services and the selling off of public assets. This in turn refines the ability to extract rents which keeps bondholders in complete power/control by making sure they will be paid in full be damn our public interest/goods and assets. And, to answer your final question, GDP is largely depended on consumer spending for goods and services.
    NEITHER, Public or private needed to be bailed out, with maybe the exception of TARP, but not a perpetual influx of cheap and easy money via the Feds printing. It hasn't helped anyone, let alone the investors.

    So much has been overlooked, and the fact that Obama and even millions of voters thought that a massive stimulus was the answer just shows how far away we are from a reasonable response to the effects of the Democrat Mandated Sub-Prime Collapse.

    A response that would have worked.
    The New Democratic Party Slogan :

    " Return to Power By Any Means Necessary "

  6. #236
    Guru
    pinqy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    4,369

    Re: US unemployment lowest in 4 years

    Quote Originally Posted by j-mac View Post
    So why is Fred not looking?
    Does that make any difference to his chance of getting hired last month? It's zero regardless of his reason.

    Now....if we want to look at his likelihood of looking again and/or whether it was personal or his perception of the labor market, that's a different matter, and c a n certainly be done in addition.
    Therefore, since the world has still/Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure/Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would,/And train for ill and not for good.

  7. #237
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: US unemployment lowest in 4 years

    Quote Originally Posted by pinqy View Post
    Does that make any difference to his chance of getting hired last month? It's zero regardless of his reason.

    Now....if we want to look at his likelihood of looking again and/or whether it was personal or his perception of the labor market, that's a different matter, and c a n certainly be done in addition.
    It makes all the difference in the world because it affects the unemployment rate. Discouraged workers aren't counted as unemployed so simply having someone described as not looking for work affects the number of people reported as unemployed and when you have the numbers we have the last two months that is significant. Keep discouraging people to stop looking for work and the unemployment rate will be back to GW Bush average numbers. Bush never had this number of discouraged workers especially four years after the end of the recession he inherited

  8. #238
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: US unemployment lowest in 4 years

    Quote Originally Posted by pinqy View Post
    Does that make any difference to his chance of getting hired last month? It's zero regardless of his reason.

    Now....if we want to look at his likelihood of looking again and/or whether it was personal or his perception of the labor market, that's a different matter, and c a n certainly be done in addition.
    Do these numbers bother you or anyone else at all? Please notice the numbers during the Bush term and the numbers for 2009 compared to today. Maybe this will turn on the lightbulb as to what is happening under this President but probably not to the ideologues who support him.


    Labor Force Statistics from the Current Population Survey
    Original Data Value

    Series Id: LNU05026645
    Not Seasonally Adjusted
    Series title: (Unadj) Not in Labor Force, Searched For Work and Available, Discouraged Reasons For Not Currently Looking
    Labor force status: Not in labor force
    Type of data: Number in thousands
    Age: 16 years and over
    Job desires/not in labor force: Want a job now
    Reasons not in labor force: Discouragement over job prospects (Persons who believe no job is available.)
    Years: 2002 to 2012

    Year Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
    2002 328 375 330 320 414 342 405 378 392 359 385 403
    2003 449 450 474 437 482 478 470 503 388 462 457 433
    2004 432 484 514 492 476 478 504 534 412 429 392 442
    2005 515 485 480 393 392 476 499 384 362 392 404 451
    2006 396 386 451 381 323 481 428 448 325 331 349 274
    2007 442 375 381 399 368 401 367 392 276 320 349 363
    2008 467 396 401 412 400 420 461 381 467 484 608 642
    2009 734 731 685 740 792 793 796 758 706 808 861 929
    2010 1065 1204 994 1197 1083 1207 1185 1110 1209 1219 1282 1318
    2011 993 1020 921 989 822 982 1119 977 1037 967 1096 945
    2012 1059 1006 865 968 830 821 852 844 802 813 979 1068
    2013 804 885 803 835 780 1027 988

  9. #239
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Last Seen
    03-03-17 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    13,813

    Re: US unemployment lowest in 4 years

    Earlier I wrote, "Can you show us with actual numbers?

    When did the massive job loss occur. Wasn't it the month the Marxist was elected? Can we say yes it was?"

    Quote Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
    If you're blaming only Obamacare you're being foolish. Of course it has contributed, but so has the other garbage regulation that's been put into effect. So has the massively destabilizing force of the Fed's monetary policy. You can't build capital with easy money.
    Interestingly I did not mention the monstrosity known as ObamaCare. Despite my difficulty in understanding your point I suspect we agree. We are over regulated and over taxed.
    Last edited by Misterveritis; 08-04-13 at 03:02 PM.

  10. #240
    Sage
    Conservative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:10 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    67,270

    Re: US unemployment lowest in 4 years

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterveritis View Post
    Earlier I wrote, "Can you show us with actual numbers?

    When did the massive job loss occur. Wasn't it the month the Marxist was elected? Can we say yes it was?"



    Interestingly I did not mention the monstrosity known as ObamaCare. Despite my difficulty in understanding you point I suspect we agree. We are over regulated and over taxed.
    More numbers to support your position, numbers that the liberals don't want to review. You see, they want badly to believe there were hundreds of thousands of job losses during the entirety of the Bush Administration and ignore the affect of Obamanomics on our economy and job creation. Very interesting information from BLS showing unemployed and discouraged workers.

    Wasn't that Stimulus program that passed and was signed in February 2009 a huge success? Is it any wonder actual data confuses liberals because it conflicts with their feelings.

    Labor Force Statistics from the Current Population Survey
    Original Data Value

    Series Id: LNS13000000
    Seasonally Adjusted
    Series title: (Seas) Unemployment Level
    Labor force status: Unemployed
    Type of data: Number in thousands
    Age: 16 years and over
    Years: 2000 to 2010
    Unemployed
    Year Jan Feb Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep Oct Nov Dec
    2000 5708 5858 5733 5481 5758 5651 5747 5853 5625 5534 5639 5634
    2001 6023 6089 6141 6271 6226 6484 6583 7042 7142 7694 8003 8258
    2002 8182 8215 8304 8599 8399 8393 8390 8304 8251 8307 8520 8640
    2003 8520 8618 8588 8842 8957 9266 9011 8896 8921 8732 8576 8317
    2004 8370 8167 8491 8170 8212 8286 8136 7990 7927 8061 7932 7934
    2005 7784 7980 7737 7672 7651 7524 7406 7345 7553 7453 7566 7279
    2006 7059 7185 7075 7122 6977 6998 7154 7097 6853 6728 6883 6784
    2007 7085 6898 6725 6845 6765 6966 7113 7096 7200 7273 7284 7696
    2008 7678 7491 7816 7631 8395 8578 8950 9450 9501 10083 10544 11299
    2009 12049 12860 13389 13796 14505 14727 14646 14861 15012 15421 15227 15124
    2010 14953 15039 15128 15221 14876 14517 14609 14735 14574 14636 15104 14393
    2011 13919 13751 13628 13792 13892 14024 13908 13920 13897 13759 13323 13097
    2012 12748 12806 12686 12518 12695 12701 12745 12483 12082 12248 12042 12206
    2013 12332 12032 11742 11659 11760 11777 11514

    Discouraged workers
    2008 467 396 401 412 400 420 461 381 467 484 608 642
    2009 734 731 685 740 792 793 796 758 706 808 861 929
    2010 1065 1204 994 1197 1083 1207 1185 1110 1209 1219 1282 1318
    2011 993 1020 921 989 822 982 1119 977 1037 967 1096 945
    2012 1059 1006 865 968 830 821 852 844 802 813 979 1068
    2013 804 885 803 835 780 1027 988

    Unemployed + Discouraged
    2008 8145 7887 8217 8043 8795 8998 9411 9831 9968 10567 11152 11941
    2009 12783 13591 14074 14536 15297 15520 15442 15619 15718 16229 16088 16053
    2010 16018 16243 16122 16418 15959 15724 15794 15845 15783 15855 16386 15711
    2011 14912 14771 14549 14781 14714 15006 15027 14897 14934 14726 14419 14042
    2012 13807 13812 13551 13486 13525 13522 13597 13327 12884 13061 13021 13274
    2013 13136 12917 12545 12577 12540 12804 12502 0 0 0 0 0

Page 24 of 48 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •