Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 53

Thread: New Snowden leak: NSA program taps all you do online

  1. #31
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: New Snowden leak: NSA program taps all you do online

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    It's not too asinine of an assumption when you make it very clear that you completely trust the government with all of this and have zero issue with low level employees being able to access any American's data. You're putting your safety in front of our privacy rights, which in my opinion is a very cowardly thing to do.
    There you go, making stuff up again. I never once said that I trust them. I said that anyone who didn't know that the government's intel branch was up to no good is an idiot. People don't even remember the case in 2006

    I never said they were monitoring every single mouse click or email, I'm stating, like the facts represent, that they CAN check any given individuals email, browsing history, phone calls, etc. They also DO this on a very regular basis with almost zero oversight or approval required. As the leak reported, any authorized low level employee can use the software without specific authorization for the person they're looking for.
    Why yes they can, and have been able to do so for a while. Is this somehow new and shocking to you?

    Combine this with the previous leak, that they're gathering an insane amount of meta data on everything you do, they can target individuals with "suspicious profiles".
    (which turns out to be rather silly things like 'using a language not typical of the region they're in.' This is the American melting pot, no ****).
    It takes more than that to make the list. As of 2008, there are over 3.5 million Arabs in this country. They aren't going to watch them all. They would be looking for behavior, aliases, associates, religious and political views, and other things like that. They would have a system that helps them sift through and filter what they view is a credible threat.

    This is insider information. Up until now the depth of their abilities has been largely unknown, and was mostly viewed as "paranoid conspiracy theories". Now we have definitive proof. If it wasn't insider information, Snowden wouldn't be the most wanted man alive right now.
    The most wanted man alive is Joaquin Guzman. Snowden isn't even on the top ten list. It was also easily realized if anyone in this ****ing country actually paid attention to what was going on around them. Room 641a, look it up and tell me you wouldn't come to the same conclusion. Or just look at the history of the FBI and the CIA.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  2. #32
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,089

    Re: New Snowden leak: NSA program taps all you do online

    Quote Originally Posted by Surtr View Post
    There you go, making stuff up again. I never once said that I trust them. I said that anyone who didn't know that the government's intel branch was up to no good is an idiot. People don't even remember the case in 2006


    Why yes they can, and have been able to do so for a while. Is this somehow new and shocking to you?


    It takes more than that to make the list. As of 2008, there are over 3.5 million Arabs in this country. They aren't going to watch them all. They would be looking for behavior, aliases, associates, religious and political views, and other things like that. They would have a system that helps them sift through and filter what they view is a credible threat.


    The most wanted man alive is Joaquin Guzman. Snowden isn't even on the top ten list. It was also easily realized if anyone in this ****ing country actually paid attention to what was going on around them. Room 641a, look it up and tell me you wouldn't come to the same conclusion. Or just look at the history of the FBI and the CIA.
    It's the feigned outrage of the Libertarian right wing. 6 years ago, this forum had somewhere near 0 Libertarians complaining about the NSA case even though it was posted a few times. Now, all of a sudden they care.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #33
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    01-28-15 @ 06:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    5,587
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: New Snowden leak: NSA program taps all you do online

    Quote Originally Posted by Surtr View Post
    The FBI did track the Tsarnaev brothers. They even brought them in for questioning based on information givenn to them by the Russians. The FBI believed that they weren't a threat, and removed the flag. They have likely changed a few things as a result.
    I was more referring more to watched sites/phone numbers.

  4. #34
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,587

    Re: New Snowden leak: NSA program taps all you do online

    Quote Originally Posted by Surtr View Post
    There you go, making stuff up again. I never once said that I trust them. I said that anyone who didn't know that the government's intel branch was up to no good is an idiot. People don't even remember the case in 2006


    Why yes they can, and have been able to do so for a while. Is this somehow new and shocking to you?


    It takes more than that to make the list. As of 2008, there are over 3.5 million Arabs in this country. They aren't going to watch them all. They would be looking for behavior, aliases, associates, religious and political views, and other things like that. They would have a system that helps them sift through and filter what they view is a credible threat.


    The most wanted man alive is Joaquin Guzman. Snowden isn't even on the top ten list. It was also easily realized if anyone in this ****ing country actually paid attention to what was going on around them. Room 641a, look it up and tell me you wouldn't come to the same conclusion. Or just look at the history of the FBI and the CIA.
    1) I'm not making anything up, I'm responding to exactly what you are saying. You're passionately arguing that we have nothing to worry about, which means you trust our government with this power.

    2) Yes, it is new to me, because these capabilities have not been proven facts until now. The carnivore program didn't do the same thing this did. Once again, if we all already knew about it, why is the US government and the people all freaking out? (Because we didn't really know about it and the government didn't want us to know about it, hence the top secret)

    Quote Originally Posted by greyhat View Post
    It is overblown; it is sensationalized to appeal to American's core belief that their freedoms and privacy are sacred and are now under assault.

    The reality is that these programs, which have been around for decades, are there to protect those freedoms. Carnivore, an FBI sniffer program, was around in the late 1990s..lets not get all worked up now. You assume the programs are targeted at you, which is pretty narcissistic btw; xkeyscore, which is old btw, wasn't designed to track your bs Internet activity LOL.

    Jut look at how people react: "low level employees have access to my info..." I mean com'on, you make it sound like the 15 year old at McDonalds does. Low level employees at the NSA aren't the guy who sweeps the floor or asks if you want fries with your burger.

    People's passions are being stoked by this story. This is why people throw up The Fourth Amendment and make analogies to their physical persons being searched; the truth is that The Fourth Amendment doesn't cover you 100% within the electronic spectrum. In fact most references to it show how little people actually understand The Fourth Amendment.

    There have been decades of legal precedent that have addressed pieces of this argument and programs. Some of you seem to think that the whole government is just one big rogue outfit. An elephant trampling on your rights; I don't deny that Uncle Sam screws shyt up all the time, but to extrapolate how one feels about government in general to how the IC operates or why they do what they do is beyond logic. I mean, what do you think the NSA does?

    In the end history will clear up this whole debacle; IMO Snowden is a mole, and a rat, his whole job hopping campaign deeper and deeper into the infrastructure of these programs smells fishy. The guy worked at BA for three months before running to HK with all these secrets; his time line of activities do not make sense. This guy had help and IMO from the outside. He is no hero and your being misled.

    The media and many have taken sympathy to this POS; however history will prove that you were misled...in the interim no amount of logic and facts will suffice for those of you with preconceived notions.
    I don't care who it is doing it, low level employees or the president himself. The fact is, they're spying on Americans and doing it without any real degree of oversight. I'm sorry, but I'm not like you. I don't like handing my freedoms over to the government, then cupping my hands over my ears and hoping they never abuse it.

    Your argument is based entirely on "They were already doing it" and "We can trust them, they're the government". The fact that they were already doing something ****ed up isn't an excuse to continue. That'd be like, yeah, I drink and drive, but I do it all the time so why stop now?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    It's the feigned outrage of the Libertarian right wing. 6 years ago, this forum had somewhere near 0 Libertarians complaining about the NSA case even though it was posted a few times. Now, all of a sudden they care.
    I wasn't here 6 years ago, but I can guarantee you I would've cared. I'd like to know what story revealed this exact same information from a reliable source 6 years ago. Everyone is pretending they already knew about this, but all I've seen is somewhat similar though drastically less advanced programs. Certainly nothing of this magnitude.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  5. #35
    Advisor greyhat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    08-31-13 @ 01:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    562

    New Snowden leak: NSA program taps all you do online

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    1) I'm not making anything up, I'm


    I don't care who it is doing it, low level employees or the president himself. The fact is, they're spying on Americans and doing it without any real degree of oversight. I'm sorry, but I'm not like you. I don't like handing my freedoms over to the government, then cupping my hands over my ears and hoping they never abuse it.

    Your argument is based entirely on "They were already doing it" and "We can trust them, they're the government". The fact that they were already doing something ****ed up isn't an excuse to continue. That'd be like, yeah, I drink and drive, but I do it all the time so why stop now?
    I think your a bit paranoid and perhaps narcissistic if u think ur being watched lol

  6. #36
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:12 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,587

    Re: New Snowden leak: NSA program taps all you do online

    Quote Originally Posted by greyhat View Post
    I think your a bit paranoid and perhaps narcissistic if u think ur being watched lol
    *you're

    Have I once said that I personally am being watched?

    You do realize that you can be upset about something your government does even if they're not doing it directly to you, right? Kind of like I could get mad if they were running around shooting red heads. I'm blonde, so why should I care, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  7. #37
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: XKeyStore

    Well, I have no idea what materials you have given up either but I'll assume you are innocent until I have reason to believe otherwise.

    To me, it's pretty obvious what has been "given up". The dark secret that you are being spied on by your own government. I haven't heard that Snowden had atomic secrets or troop positions to give up evewn if he were so inclined. He worked at an agency that spies on you. That's all he has to give. That agency is a sub-agency of an agency that can detain you for life without due process.


    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    I think the jury is still out on Snowden. As a person who regards my Constitutional rights as near sacred, I believe he has informed and confirmed for us something extremely important here. However, I have no idea what other materials he has given up, how that affects our security with there being lots of predators out there in the rest of the world who would do us harm... so it really depends...

  8. #38
    controlled chaos
    Gaugingcatenate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Formerly of the Southern USA, now permanently in the mountains of Panama
    Last Seen
    07-21-17 @ 02:52 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    8,159

    Re: XKeyStore

    Quote Originally Posted by specklebang View Post
    Well, I have no idea what materials you have given up either but I'll assume you are innocent until I have reason to believe otherwise.

    To me, it's pretty obvious what has been "given up". The dark secret that you are being spied on by your own government. I haven't heard that Snowden had atomic secrets or troop positions to give up evewn if he were so inclined. He worked at an agency that spies on you. That's all he has to give. That agency is a sub-agency of an agency that can detain you for life without due process.
    Not so fast there. The NSA is tasked with spying globally, so there may just be many secrets to which Snowden had access. You don't know and neither do I. Jury is still out, like I said previously.

  9. #39
    Discount Philosopher
    specklebang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Last Seen
    06-05-14 @ 08:26 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    11,524

    Re: XKeyStore

    OK, I agree. The jury is still out.


    Quote Originally Posted by Gaugingcatenate View Post
    Not so fast there. The NSA is tasked with spying globally, so there may just be many secrets to which Snowden had access. You don't know and neither do I. Jury is still out, like I said previously.

  10. #40
    Advisor greyhat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    08-31-13 @ 01:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    562

    New Snowden leak: NSA program taps all you do online

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    *you're

    Have I once said that I personally am being watched?

    You do realize that you can be upset about something your government does even if they're not doing it directly to you, right? Kind of like I could get mad if they were running around shooting red heads. I'm blonde, so why should I care, right?
    You're right, you can be upset, but first get the full picture and some context...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •