Page 9 of 48 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 477

Thread: Greenwald says 'low-level' NSA workers can tap into phone, Internet records

  1. #81
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Greenwald says 'low-level' NSA workers can tap into phone, Internet records

    Quote Originally Posted by Jango View Post
    We're free people in this country still, no? Just because a lawmaker signed off on something doesn't equate out to permission for three hundred million Americans.
    Um. Yes. It does. That's what we call "representative government" (est. 1789). We don't always like what our representatives do, but they are our representatives still.

  2. #82
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Michigan
    Last Seen
    01-28-15 @ 06:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    5,587
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Greenwald says 'low-level' NSA workers can tap into phone, Internet records

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Um. Yes. It does. That's what we call "representative government" (est. 1789). We don't always like what our representatives do, but they are our representatives still.
    Who are they representing though? Actual Americans, or… ? That's the basis of my argument. Representatives are supposed to present their district's desires and legislate in that direction, right? So where are all of these Americans that want to be spied on by their government? I don't want to be spied on by my government. Do you?

  3. #83
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,148

    Re: Greenwald says 'low-level' NSA workers can tap into phone, Internet records

    Quote Originally Posted by Jango View Post
    Who are they representing though?
    Their constituents.

    Actual Americans, or… ? That's the basis of my argument.
    A question-mark is the basis of your argument?

    hm.... I can do this to.

    What species are they really, though? Normal homo sapiens as they pretend, or......?


    clearly, Members of Congress are Aliens.

    Representatives are supposed to present their district's desires and legislate in that direction, right? So where are all of these Americans that want to be spied on by their government? I don't want to be spied on by my government. Do you?
    Your argument seems to be less with this particular program than our system of government. We are a representative republic; we elect people to go forth and make decisions for us, as our legal representatives. We give them, if you will, near full powers of attorney. My personal relationship with government oversight is... different from typical, perhaps. The government logs my activity on a daily basis because I work for it.

  4. #84
    Wrinkly member
    Manc Skipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Southern England
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:19 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    23,239

    Re: Greenwald says 'low-level' NSA workers can tap into phone, Internet records

    If I were reliant on a specific agency for my security, then I would demand that they all be high level workers.
    Don't work out, work in.

    Never eat anything that's served in a bucket.

  5. #85
    Sage
    OldWorldOrder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    10-12-15 @ 12:13 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,820

    Re: Greenwald says 'low-level' NSA workers can tap into phone, Internet records

    Quote Originally Posted by Jango View Post
    Who are they representing though?
    Americans.
    The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected.
    -GK Chesterton

  6. #86
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 11:27 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,305

    Re: Greenwald says 'low-level' NSA workers can tap into phone, Internet records

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    Wrong. Your representatives gave permission on your behalf, which is their job - to make decisions on your behalf. Vote wisely.
    Vote wisely! What a joke!

  7. #87
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    08-04-13 @ 05:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    459

    Re: Greenwald says 'low-level' NSA workers can tap into phone, Internet records

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry David View Post
    Vote wisely! What a joke!
    Yes, especially considering what this discussion is about.

    both the Democrats and Republicans, aside from a few outliers, support the domestic spying program.

    Perhaps the Greens and Libertarians do not....but they don't tend to hold Federal Office.
    ...for perhaps the most admirable among the admirable laws of Nature is the survival of the weakest.
    --Vladimir Nabokov

  8. #88
    Advisor greyhat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    08-31-13 @ 01:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    562

    Greenwald says 'low-level' NSA workers can tap into phone, Internet records

    Quote Originally Posted by Strucker View Post
    Yes, especially considering what this discussion is about.

    both the Democrats and Republicans, aside from a few outliers, support the domestic spying program.

    Perhaps the Greens and Libertarians do not....but they don't tend to hold Federal Office.
    You guys keep calling it a domestic program- how ignorant and narcissistic - everyone keeps assuming THEY are the target. Really?!?? The NSA guards this info better than Ft Knox.
    Last edited by greyhat; 08-04-13 at 10:58 AM.

  9. #89
    Advisor
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Last Seen
    08-04-13 @ 05:38 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    459

    Re: Greenwald says 'low-level' NSA workers can tap into phone, Internet records

    Quote Originally Posted by greyhat View Post
    You guys keep calling it a domestic program- how ignorant and narcissistic - everyone keeps assuming THEY are the target. Really?!??
    It's not narcissism, because I'm not an American citizen.

    (To America's credit...Canadians simply don't know the extent of Canadian domestic spying).

    But yes, your spy program is partially about keeping tabs on American citizens. Do you suppose it's a coincidental residue of Fighting Worldwide Evil?
    ...for perhaps the most admirable among the admirable laws of Nature is the survival of the weakest.
    --Vladimir Nabokov

  10. #90
    Advisor greyhat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    08-31-13 @ 01:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    562

    Greenwald says 'low-level' NSA workers can tap into phone, Internet records

    Quote Originally Posted by Strucker View Post
    It's not narcissism, because I'm not an American citizen.

    (To America's credit...Canadians simply don't know the extent of Canadian domestic spying).

    But yes, your spy program is partially about keeping tabs on American citizens. Do you suppose it's a coincidental residue of Fighting Worldwide Evil?
    You know very little about US intel apparatus; get a clue first, then you can post something intelligent.

Page 9 of 48 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •