Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 353

Thread: Signs of declining economic security

  1. #11
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:27 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,883

    Re: Signs of declining economic security

    Quote Originally Posted by minnie616 View Post
    Well said.
    I well remember over 30 years ago when my oldest child was still quite young that my generation was last generation that would be better off financially than our parents generation.

    We are now a global society and with the ease of hiring overseas our country and our younger generation has paid dearly.
    I disagree. There is still plenty of opportunities for upward mobility.

    I come from a family, with 2 brothers, where my dad worked two jobs as a mechanic( didn't graduate high school ) and my mom stayed at home( graduated high school ). My youngest brother just started college, and my older brother and I were better off financially than my parents our 2nd year out of college. We were never on welfare nor did we receive food stamps, but they lived within their means. Additionally, I've been with the same company for 14 years and my brother has been with the same for 12.

    The American dream is still there for those willing to put in the time and effort. Sometimes it takes generations for dramatic improvement, but nobody said it was supposed to be easy.

  2. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Signs of declining economic security

    Quote Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
    I disagree. There is still plenty of opportunities for upward mobility.

    I come from a family, with 2 brothers, where my dad worked two jobs as a mechanic( didn't graduate high school ) and my mom stayed at home( graduated high school ). My youngest brother just started college, and my older brother and I were better off financially than my parents our 2nd year out of college. We were never on welfare nor did we receive food stamps, but they lived within their means. Additionally, I've been with the same company for 14 years and my brother has been with the same for 12.

    The American dream is still there for those willing to put in the time and effort. Sometimes it takes generations for dramatic improvement, but nobody said it was supposed to be easy.
    That is the exception, not the norm. Yes, people do move up, but it's not easy and a lot of time it requires connections.

    Is it impossible? No, but let's not pretend that it can happen to everyone. As for companies, again, that's not the norm now and you know it.

  3. #13
    Professor
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    11-30-13 @ 07:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,293

    Re: Signs of declining economic security

    Globalization? LOL. How long has it been since we have not been in a global economy?

    We're in the mess we are in because we did it to ourselves. We overtaxed. We overspent. We overregulated. We didn't protect our borders. We elected Democrats and RINO's.

    Pointing the finger outward is silly because other countries are not to blame for the mess we are in. The finger pointing needs to be at ourselves.

  4. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Signs of declining economic security

    Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    I waited a day to see how the Demokrats would respond to Obama's abysmal failure.
    They haven't.

    That says volumes. Their lack of response illustrates clearly Obama has failed miserably, and for that they have no defense.
    Yeah, because ALL of this happened just from 2008 right? Everything was A-OK before that, no unemployment, no welfare right, no economic problems at all right?

  5. #15
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:59 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,246

    Re: Signs of declining economic security

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse View Post
    I often wonder

    why members of competing political parties always blame the seated President for every woe? Is that what the Presidency is, a whipping boy, a scapegoat for whatever ails the nation?

    You do know the President has very little control over the workings of the nation. Yes, he "guides the ship of state" but only so much as his party, and the opposing party, let him. He has some control over the agencies under the Executive branch, but not as much as people think since it is really run by civil servants who are there regardless of which party controls the White house and are bound by the Act's which created them.

    He can only suggest, and then try to convince, Congress to go along with whatever plan he sees as helping the nation while he is in office. But Congress is controlled by special interests who pay members very well through private "donations" and PAC campaign support to do what they want in every situation. Recent example? Health care; the Democrats controlled both Houses when Obama proposed a measure that would create a system very similar to Canada's. Congressional leaders balked, and forced him to accept an "advisory committee" made up of Health Insurance providers, Big Pharma, and the AMA and we ended up with "Obamacare."

    Our economy is in the state it is because Corporate America likes it that way. Under the current set-up they make all the profits with little risk; government will now bail them out despite what the people want. Companies are welll aware America still has a wealth of resources, including a large population with all the skills and capability to handle any industrial employment. Still, Corporations know it is cheaper to build factories in developing nations and outsource labor there too. They blame unions as a PR move, but even without unions they know American's won't work a 12 hour day for $1.50 per hour. They also know they won't have to face environmental regulations for environmental destruction, or high fixed costs for utilities and maintenance, or other major costs of operating in the USA.

    Investment Banks need fiat money, it allows them to juggle such funds in order to take control of the real wealth of our nation, land and the resources it contains. They don't care about how inflation affects the common citizen, they have economists to explain "how it is good for the country." Inflation hardly affects the rich, their investments bring in enough to allow them to shrug inflation off.

    So why do we focus our blame on whichever President holds office? It's been a long time since any President has held real power to affect our nation. They are just tools of special interests, serving to focus ire away from the real sources of our problems.
    Thos President after the collapse of a Sub-Prime Bubble built on the pretense of "redlining " dug in his heals on Health Care and never properly addressed the economy.

    YES, the President and his policies have a HUGE impact on our economy or lack of and NO, we're not suffering because of globalization.


    Its no coincidence that things have gotten much worse. The dumbest of our electorate chose our path.

  6. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Signs of declining economic security

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    YES, the President and his policies have a HUGE impact on our economy or lack of and NO, we're not suffering because of globalization.
    Yes, but then Congress (you know the house that controls the purse and is GOP dominate) could defund ObamaCare if they REALLY wanted to. They don't. What does that say about the GOP?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fenton View Post
    Its no coincidence that things have gotten much worse. The dumbest of our electorate chose our path.

    That's been happening for decades. While I think Obama has done worse, it's no excuse for the morons that elected Bush twice. I think the last president I actually had respect for was Bush Senior and I hated his policies, but I respected the man.

  7. #17
    Guru
    Samhain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Northern Ohio
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:27 PM
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    3,883

    Re: Signs of declining economic security

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    That is the exception, not the norm. Yes, people do move up, but it's not easy and a lot of time it requires connections.

    Is it impossible? No, but let's not pretend that it can happen to everyone. As for companies, again, that's not the norm now and you know it.
    For folks not working for the same company for their careers, I think its because individuals are always looking for the next best thing. Not everyone wants to put in the time and effort to move up the corporate ladder, but instead find its easier for upward mobility to switch jobs. If it wasn't, there wouldn't be dozens of career sites for people to always troll for something else. And corporations know that in today's instant gratification society, there is a ready pool of new bodies waiting in the wings that believe the grass is always greener.

    Some are always looking for the easiest path in which to traverse life. Some prefer the hard work. I believe hard work is more meaningful.

    As Thomas Edison once said, "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."

  8. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Seen
    12-08-13 @ 10:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Right
    Posts
    3,114

    Re: Signs of declining economic security

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    That is the exception, not the norm. Yes, people do move up, but it's not easy and a lot of time it requires connections.

    Is it impossible? No, but let's not pretend that it can happen to everyone. As for companies, again, that's not the norm now and you know it.
    it is supposed to be hard it is not supposed to be easy, the left wants it handed to them with minimum effort on their part, lets take professional athletes do you think the become high paid athletes because of their talent alone? no they are where they are at because of talent and training many and many hours of hard training

    I worked for a company that during the summer we would hire for a second shift. we would get young college students and most wasn't worth a dam. one day i asked one why his work performance was so poor he told me if i paid him more he would produce more i told him you have it all wrong you have it backwards you show me you can produce more then we can talk about paying you more

    Pay is the product of what you produce its not what you produce is a product of your pay

  9. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Melbourne Florida
    Last Seen
    04-18-17 @ 03:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    16,763

    Re: Signs of declining economic security

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Yeah, because ALL of this happened just from 2008 right? Everything was A-OK before that, no unemployment, no welfare right, no economic problems at all right?
    Obama had all the ideas to fix all that.
    He has done nothing.
    He spent a good part of his first term ramming Obamacare through, started his second term with gun control.
    Obama care is already a massive failure and his gun control efforts fizzled.
    So, please tell us. Just what has Obama done for the working middle class in this nation except tap our taxes for more and more entitlements for those that dont work.

  10. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: Signs of declining economic security

    Quote Originally Posted by trfjr View Post
    it is supposed to be hard it is not supposed to be easy, the left wants it handed to them with minimum effort on their part, lets take professional athletes do you think the become high paid athletes because of their talent alone? no they are where they are at because of talent and training many and many hours of hard training
    Hard yes, but let's be honest for a second. Yes, professional athletes do train hard, but let's compare their pay to a solider, police officer, or firemen. Do you really think putting your LIFE on the line isn't worth the same as an athlete? So again, the pay is disproportionate to the work. Using athletes as an example only points out how ****ed up our priorities are as a society.


    Quote Originally Posted by trfjr View Post
    I worked for a company that during the summer we would hire for a second shift. we would get young college students and most wasn't worth a dam. one day i asked one why his work performance was so poor he told me if i paid him more he would produce more i told him you have it all wrong you have it backwards you show me you can produce more then we can talk about paying you more
    Of course there are those people out there and they don't just follow a "liberal" ideology. There are conservatives that also do this. Politicians are a prime example. They only act as a "pretty face" most of the time and live lavish lifestyles with taxpayers money. That goes for ANY politician. Do you think your politician can work harder? I do.

    Quote Originally Posted by trfjr View Post
    Pay is the product of what you produce its not what you produce is a product of your pay
    So then why are soldiers, firemen, police officers and others that risk their lives weekly sometimes paid what they are? Do you think putting your life on the line is far less than playing a football game? Your example supports my theory a lot more than yours.

Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •