Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 168

Thread: Paula Deen Allegedly Asked Black Staffers to Dress Like Aunt Jemima

  1. #81
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,264

    Re: Paula Deen Allegedly Asked Black Staffers to Dress Like Aunt Jemima

    Relax. Listen to Frank Zappa's Electric Aunt Jemima, and let Paula Dean live out her own little fantasy in her weird little world. Never liked the old bag, with the "Y'all come on in" schtick, anyway. I bet she's secretly exchanging tweets with Weiner.

  2. #82
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Paula Deen Allegedly Asked Black Staffers to Dress Like Aunt Jemima

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    I'm confused.

    On the Paula Deen matter, I don't think anyone who hasn't physically harmed someone should be permanently defined by regrettable choices they've made when they have apologized and are trying be better people. I believe in forgiveness, redemption and restoration. I think this is a pretty good policy to have since no one on earth is perfect and we never know if we'll be the one who needs forgiveness in the future; maybe not in an identical situation but something else. She has apologized to the people she hurt even in tears. I don't understand why people are refusing to love her through this chapter in her life or help her be the better person she's obviously trying be. I often wonder what Martin Luther King would have done if George Wallace, Bull Connor and others would have gotten on TV and in tears apologized for things they did that in my opinion were far worse than anything Paula Deen did. I'm pretty sure Martin Luther King would have held out his arms, embraced them and graciously accepted their apologies.
    She's someone that lives in the public eye (something notoriously fickle and vindictive), and I think questions over her sincerity are legitimate. But in general, I agree about forgiveness being more productive, socially

  3. #83
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Paula Deen Allegedly Asked Black Staffers to Dress Like Aunt Jemima

    Quote Originally Posted by Smeagol View Post
    I'm confused.

    On the Paula Deen matter, I don't think anyone who hasn't physically harmed someone should be permanently defined by regrettable choices they've made when they have apologized and are trying be better people. I believe in forgiveness, redemption and restoration. I think this is a pretty good policy to have since no one on earth is perfect and we never know if we'll be the one who needs forgiveness in the future; maybe not in an identical situation but something else. She has apologized to the people she hurt even in tears. I don't understand why people are refusing to love her through this chapter in her life or help her be the better person she's obviously trying be. I often wonder what Martin Luther King would have done if George Wallace, Bull Connor and others would have gotten on TV and in tears apologized for things they did that in my opinion were far worse than anything Paula Deen did. I'm pretty sure Martin Luther King would have held out his arms, embraced them and graciously accepted their apologies.
    First off, she makes her money through public image that she sells. She tarnished her own rep. She can still run her business, do her own publishing, get a job, and live her life. the woe is me crap from her is a load of BS as she has millions of dollars. The public doesn't hold any sway over her enjoying her life. I say give someone else a chance at a cooking show now that the butter queen has finished off her own reputation that was already in the crapper before this whole racism business began because of her lying about her diabetes.

    As for forgiving her she stands the same in my mind today as she did before this. She is a creepy looking bitch whose fake smile and scary butter infused recipes were way over the top for me, and I do love my butter. I do not care that she is racist or not, i am just really happy her plastic smile will be removed from the grocery store check out line because damn that is one scary looking woman. Her smiling face is something i would expect to see right before being tossed into a wood chipper with 20 pounds of butter to make a tererun donut. That opinion has not changed since the first time I saw her on a magazine and screamed what the hell is that.

  4. #84
    Sage
    j-mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:02 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    30,274

    Re: Paula Deen Allegedly Asked Black Staffers to Dress Like Aunt Jemima

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    Paula Deen Allegedly Asked Black Staffers to Dress Like Aunt Jemima - Yahoo! TV



    Conservatives: She isn't racist.
    Liberals: Of course she's racist.
    Libertarians: You don't have to work for her if she's racist.
    Independents (with Conservative lean): This isn't racist because she asked nicely.
    Independents (with Liberal lean): You guys kidding right?
    Other & Unknown: Unintelligible post.
    Zyphlin: 6,300 word essay.

    I did enjoy Fox News' take on this.



    I genuinely did. They basically hammer out what is so wrong with this entire situation. The problem isn't so much her use of racial epitaphs. It's the entire culture which she allowed to exist in her place. Porn at the work place? Racial attacks? Homophobic remarks? If your boss is willing to use racial epitaphs, have plantation styled weddings, dress her workers as Aunt Jemima, that's not something which stops 20 years ago unless a person can show a track record of having changed. Paula Deen just seems to have been doing the same **** for 20 years and hoping nobody caught on.

    The Food Network did what any business would and should do with people like this. Let them cater to racists if they want on their own platform, works for Glenn Beck.

    OMG, who the hell cares? This is nothing but mindless diversion from the real problems.
    Americans are so enamored of equality that they would rather be equal in slavery than unequal in freedom.

    Alexis de Tocqueville

  5. #85
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Paula Deen Allegedly Asked Black Staffers to Dress Like Aunt Jemima

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    No, I'm using the objective standard of whether or not the story actually affects people in some way that makes it "need to know" info. It's highly objective. I'm just as entertained by teh non-stories as everyone else, though. As a football fan, I've sought out info on the Hernandez case. I'm as guilty of the stupidity as anyone else.
    This is the first time you've included "need-to-know" in your standards which is different from your original standard of "directly affected." Those are separate things even if they can be related. Regardless, when I say that your standard for "meaningful" and "real" news seems based on your personal preferences, I mean that because "meaningful" is an inherently subjective descriptor and because you're definition of "real news" is not based solely on the definition of "news", the judgments your making amount to nothing more than personal preference or perhaps just your personal idea of what meaningful, real news is supposed to look like.

    Ultimately, the Hernandez and Zimmerman stories among others are "real news" according to the definition of "news" which is what you would look at if you were hoping for a more objective take on the subject. As far as "meaningful", you may define that as "need-to-know", but then other people may define it differently so if you want to objectively evaluate the news, you'll need a less subjective word.

  6. #86
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Paula Deen Allegedly Asked Black Staffers to Dress Like Aunt Jemima

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    This is the first time you've included "need-to-know" in your standards which is different from your original standard of "directly affected."
    I assumed it was obvious. My bad.

    Those are separate things even if they can be related.
    So people don't need to know about that which directly affects them?

    Regardless, when I say that your standard for "meaningful" and "real" news seems based on your personal preferences, I mean that because "meaningful" is an inherently subjective descriptor and because you're definition of "real news" is not based solely on the definition of "news", the judgments your making amount to nothing more than personal preference or perhaps just your personal idea of what meaningful, real news is supposed to look like.
    Well, then you're wrong, because it's not based on personal preference. That's just your mistaken understanding of them that causes you to believe that which is not true.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

  7. #87
    Educator
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    01-03-14 @ 10:06 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    642

    Re: Paula Deen Allegedly Asked Black Staffers to Dress Like Aunt Jemima

    Did Paul Deen hold a gun to Dora Charles' head and make her work for her?
    it's difficult to know what exactly happened between those two, but Ms. Charles ended up making $71,00/annually.
    No one seemed to have a problem with the fact that Paul Deen was with a married man for 10 years. I think his wife should write a book and tell us her side.

  8. #88
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Paula Deen Allegedly Asked Black Staffers to Dress Like Aunt Jemima

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    I assumed it was obvious. My bad.
    Okay.

    So people don't need to know about that which directly affects them?
    I didn't say that. I said that "directly affects" and "need to know" are separate things that can be related. I can certainly "need-to-know" things that do not directly affect me.

    Well, then you're wrong, because it's not based on personal preference. That's just your mistaken understanding of them that causes you to believe that which is not true.
    Oh really? Which one of my positions is inaccurate? Please explain.

    1. Meaningful is a subjective term and therefore, declarations about what constitutes 'meaningful' news are based in personal preferences for certain ideas of 'meaningful' news over others.

    2. The Hernandez and Zimmerman stories meet the definition of "news" thereby making them objectively "real news".
    Last edited by ThePlayDrive; 07-26-13 at 03:10 PM. Reason: i can't spell

  9. #89
    Ho, ho, ho.
    Superfly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    East Coast
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:10 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    21,612

    Re: Paula Deen Allegedly Asked Black Staffers to Dress Like Aunt Jemima

    Quote Originally Posted by lolabird View Post
    Did Paul Deen hold a gun to Dora Charles' head and make her work for her?
    it's difficult to know what exactly happened between those two, but Ms. Charles ended up making $71,00/annually.
    No one seemed to have a problem with the fact that Paul Deen was with a married man for 10 years. I think his wife should write a book and tell us her side.
    I'd read it.

  10. #90
    Matthew 16:3

    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Last Seen
    06-24-17 @ 05:05 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    45,603

    Re: Paula Deen Allegedly Asked Black Staffers to Dress Like Aunt Jemima

    Quote Originally Posted by ThePlayDrive View Post
    I didn't say that. I said that "directly affects" and "need to know" are separate things that can be related. I can certainly "need-to-know" things that do not directly affect me.
    Why would you need to know something that didn't directly affect you? Want to know, sure, but you wouldn't need to know it.

    Oh really? Which one of my positions is inaccurate? Please explain.

    1. "Meaningful is a subjective term and therefore, declarations about what constitutions 'meaningful' news are based in personal preferences for certain ideas of 'meaningful' news over others."
    That one is totally inaccurate. How one subjectively defines what is "Meaningful" can be based on reason and logic, rather than just personal preference.

    Subjectively defined =/= defined by personal preference. Just because you mistakenly believe that anything that is subjective must be based on personal preference, rather than reason or logic, doesn't mean that you are correct.

    I have a great many subjective beliefs which are not in keeping with my personal preferences. For example, I have the subjective belief that cheating on my wife is immoral because it would hurt her. But my personal preference would be to get a blowie from every woman I meet.
    Tucker Case - Tard magnet.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •