Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 168

Thread: Paula Deen Allegedly Asked Black Staffers to Dress Like Aunt Jemima

  1. #41
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Paula Deen Allegedly Asked Black Staffers to Dress Like Aunt Jemima

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Look at the Z/M thing. The media did not create the "whose the bigger racist" pissing contest. They did not need to. They just had to stand back and let people do it for themselves, then report on it in a fairly neutral way. Pundits may have thrown a little fuel on the fire, but it was already a raging ****ing inferno. I get really annoyed at the way people blame the media instead of standing up and taking repsonsibility for what we ourselves are doing.
    Uh, "a little fuel on the fire"? Media outlets were broadcasting doctored 911 tapes that made it appear that Zimmerman was using racial slurs when talking about TM, and just the other day TMZ was reporting how the family involved in that car crash were white.

    Surely the tension existed well before that, but to act as if the angle wasn't milked to create controversy is rather ridiculous

  2. #42
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Paula Deen Allegedly Asked Black Staffers to Dress Like Aunt Jemima

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    Otay!




    Yeah you right!

  3. #43
    King Conspiratard
    Dr. Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    02-13-14 @ 03:04 PM
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    12,895

    Re: Paula Deen Allegedly Asked Black Staffers to Dress Like Aunt Jemima

    Quote Originally Posted by shrubnose View Post
    True, some people are forgiven, or not even criticized and others are burned at the stake for similar offenses.
    I like using polanski here because he drugged and ass raped a 13 year old girl. It's pretty hard to equate that to some unseemly rants

  4. #44
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Paula Deen Allegedly Asked Black Staffers to Dress Like Aunt Jemima

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Sadly won't get it here, I agree with much of what you said. My one disagreement would be with something you didn't even explicitely say, but more simply expanding upon something you said. People having a **** storm and attacking people for being upset about Paula Deen and urging Food Network to fire her (be it directly or through claims of boycotts of sponsors) are a wonderful example of why it may not be best to leave it up just to the free market. But at the same time, the fact someone like Paula Deen CAN lose her job because controversy, once things come to light, can become so huge in such a quick bit of time is a wonderful example of why it also may not be necessary to leave it largely up to significant and sizable government intervention.

    The Market is not the same today as it was 50 years ago, societ yis not the same as it was 50 years ago, I don't think that if laws built around the context of the market and society of 50 years ago were tweaked a bit we'd suddenly descended into a maddening mire of racism run amok and ciivl rights trampled upon all over.

    To me, this is a situation that both simultaneously shows that the knee jerk reaction to any notion of reduction in government regulation of business regarding civil rights (even in the loosest forms) is a bit ridiculous AND that the farther right notion of a complete removal of government regulation of business regarding civil rights because the "market" will take care of it is ALSO a bit ridiculous.



    This is probably the biggest problem that I have with a lot of Libertarians.

  5. #45
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Paula Deen Allegedly Asked Black Staffers to Dress Like Aunt Jemima

    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    And so many on the left argue that you can't trust the free market to do it, that there are too many people that tacitly condone racism or let it go on, and that it wouldn't really cause them enough greif to stop them from doing it so we need the government to keep these laws on the books forever and ever because without it we'll just wash away back into the dredges of horrible racism in the marketplace.
    While I unapologetically believe that we need to keep 'these laws on the books forever' (we don't get rid of murder laws when murder rates decrease so why get rid of anti-racism laws when racism decreases?), I do see a lot of liberals who don't give the free market enough credit for taking out the trash. Those people tend to be unaware of the power that they hold in the free market and tend to be so immersed in the power that corporations and wealthy people hold that they do not appreciate what little - but meaningful - power they have. More than that, such liberals tend to focus more on the racist people than on the people criticizing them to the point that almost all they see is the former.

    An example: While I tend to not be like the above liberals, I caught myself doing what I described above a few months ago. I was reading an article on avclub.com about some executive producer's tantrum at a panel where journalists questioned his use of racial stereotypes in his how. The main thing I drew from the story was that another media of the member is perpetuating racial stereotypes without any consideration that such behavior might be a problem. A little bit after I read the story, it dawned on me that I had given ZERO credit to the people who questioned him and continued to question him even after he threw his tantrum. That is huge progress given such problem stereotyping was often ignored in the past. Even so, I had pretty much ignored it initially.

    That is the process of thinking that I think a lot of liberals are stuck in. They are so focused on the problem that they don't see how many people are working on solutions. More specific to your point, they are so focused on problems of the free market that they don't see how many people are actually taking advantage of it.

  6. #46
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Zyphlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    NoMoAuchie
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    47,998

    Re: Paula Deen Allegedly Asked Black Staffers to Dress Like Aunt Jemima

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    If we disagree on anything, it's that I think that the media can create controversy by making the decision to report something that is relatively inconsequential on a national level as though it's something of great import. Example: Aaron Hernandez. Really, aside from the person who was killed and their family, few people are affected by that story. But people everywhere want to know about it. The media could, in a fit of journalistic integrity, treat it like a relatively inconsequential story of little national import. But that won't get the ratings. \
    See, I kind of disagree with you on Aaron Hernandez, for the same reason I don't have an issue with the media reporting on Paul Deen. When you're a public figure who profitted largely based off the national populations interest in you and what you're doing (in Hernandez's case, as part of the larger "NFL entity) I don't necessarily have an issue with media covering you on a national level.

    Whether or not the AMOUNT of coverage is needed, that's a whole differen tstory and I think could be applied to most news issues. But I don't actually fault the national media for grabbing ahold of an Aaron Hernandez or Paula Deen type story. Is it still being done because it'll create conversatoin and profits? Absolutely.But I think part of WHY it'll do that is because they're a national figure with national recognition and people across the nation will be interested to hear about it singularly because the person is well known.

    The Hernandez situation is really weird all over. It's only a national story because of sports, so you'd think it should just be covered heavily on a national level by sports news. However, it's a freaking MURDER, which almosts feels weird for Sports writers to be writing about as you go there generally wanting the latest break down of the games last sunday and not legal expertise. The whole story situation is such a mess that I think it's a bad example concerning the mediaa in general.

  7. #47
    Sage
    shrubnose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Europe
    Last Seen
    11-29-17 @ 03:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    18,851
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Paula Deen Allegedly Asked Black Staffers to Dress Like Aunt Jemima

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Chuckles View Post
    I like using polanski here because he drugged and ass raped a 13 year old girl. It's pretty hard to equate that to some unseemly rants



    The man has never really been held to account for his actions.

    If he was Michelangelo, that wouldn't justify what hasn't happened to him.

  8. #48
    Relentless Thinking Fury
    ChezC3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Chicago
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    9,144

    Re: Paula Deen Allegedly Asked Black Staffers to Dress Like Aunt Jemima

    and Hooters and Tilted Kilt and a dozen others ask women to dress like whores...so if so what of it? It's called theme... Unless of course people have pushed to have AJ rebranded, I don't recall any such efforts...

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The darkside of the moon
    Last Seen
    05-24-14 @ 05:56 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    4,905
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Paula Deen Allegedly Asked Black Staffers to Dress Like Aunt Jemima

    Quote Originally Posted by trfjr View Post
    until you liberals make Alec Baldwin pay the same price for his Homophobic violent threats i don't want to hear a freaken dam thing about Paula Deen come out your hypocrite mouth
    Yeah, because it totally isn't hypocritical of you to pretend to care about the gays when you do not so you can have an excuse to be racist against the blacks. Until you support gays do not use them as your excuse for your racism you hypocrite.

  10. #50
    Sage

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Last Seen
    11-17-17 @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    19,610

    Re: Paula Deen Allegedly Asked Black Staffers to Dress Like Aunt Jemima

    Quote Originally Posted by Tucker Case View Post
    You don't really disagree insofar as we are both firmly in the "We do it ourselves" camp. The media is going to do what it does to get profits. We determine what they are going to do by using their product. If people didn't want to be a part of the controversy, they'd turn off the TV.

    If we disagree on anything, it's that I think that the media can create controversy by making the decision to report something that is relatively inconsequential on a national level as though it's something of great import. Example: Aaron Hernandez. Really, aside from the person who was killed and their family, few people are affected by that story. But people everywhere want to know about it. The media could, in a fit of journalistic integrity, treat it like a relatively inconsequential story of little national import. But that won't get the ratings.

    So while I believe that, ultimately, it's the consumers fault we're inundated with relatively meaningless **** passing for news, I do think that the media needs to be called out for it's lack of professional integrity.
    I think your definition of "inconsequential" is far too narrow. It looks like your defining the "national import" of a story primarily in terms of whether or not people are directly involved in it. The problem, however, is that stories can be of great national consequences even when something does not directly involve most of the people listening. For instance, the Hernandez story. He's a NFL player who murdered someone and threw away millions of dollars in the process. Even though I'm not that interested in the story, I can easily see how this story would be meaningful to certain number of the millions of sports fans in this country. People who admired him or hated him or who want to be him or whatever else. The story isn't "relatively meaningless" to them and they are, in fact, a significant part of this nation so the argument that the story is inconsequential from a national standpoint doesn't hold much water.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •