Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 152

Thread: FAA warns public against shooting guns at drones

  1. #51
    Count Smackula
    rathi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    California
    Last Seen
    10-31-15 @ 10:29 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    7,890

    Re: FAA warns public against shooting guns at drones

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Because the odds of you being hit by a bullet that was fired into the air is extremely low.
    Not low enough, as evidenced by the deaths.

    In my neighborhood on New-Years and 4th of July my neighbors are shooting off their guns into the air as though ammo was free.But yet there are no deaths or injuries.
    Thankfully most gun owners aren't as stupid, not to mention that its illegal in many states as well.

    The story is not people shooting into the air or people being irresponsible. Its about granting permits for people to shoot at drones, much like people are granted permits to hunt ducks and other animals. People shoot at ducks, heck some people shoot at clay pigeons, but yet there are not accidents from stray rounds.
    You hunt ducks with birdshot which lacks the ability to travel for long distances while retaining terminal energy.

  2. #52
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:47 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,463

    Re: FAA warns public against shooting guns at drones

    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo Rodeo View Post
    Unfortunately, there is no weapon system on the market that can take an amateur (or anything short of a stone cold trained sniper) and magically hit a moving target.... let alone one several thousand feet in the air... let alone one traveling in excess of 130 mph. And this is the super glaring hole in the plot - no responsible gun owner or sportsman (let alone anyone with enough training to take the shot and have a snowball's chance in hell of making it) is going to fire a rifle into the air.
    What if you caught a drone hovering over your private property or looking in your window? I'll bet even an amatuer could manage to hit it, then.

    I abhor the entire idea of the government using drones to spy on US citizens...at least with police helicopters you can hear and see them coming and when you do you can later read about it in the news as to who and/or what they were going after. So if drones are being used then please at the very least let there be a law that they can't be armed...or used to physically attack anyone. But maybe there's such a law already and its buried in the agriculture bill.

    I'd approve of shooting down drones if they're being abused by the government or even citizens for that matter. I think it's a total invasion of privacy.

  3. #53
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:47 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,463

    Re: FAA warns public against shooting guns at drones

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesrage View Post
    Because the odds of you being hit by a bullet that was fired into the air is extremely low.

    In my neighborhood on New-Years and 4th of July my neighbors are shooting off their guns into the air as though ammo was free. But yet there are no deaths or injuries.
    I think it might depend on population density. Urban vs rural.

    "...Between the years 1985 and 1992, doctors at the King/Drew Medical Center in Los Angeles, California, treated some 118 people for random falling-bullet injuries. Thirty-eight of them died....."
    Celebratory gunfire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

    We used to hear the guns go off all the time on New Years and thought it best to stay indoors during the midnight hour. A random bullet coming straight down into your skull just wasn't worth the risk.

  4. #54
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,276

    Re: FAA warns public against shooting guns at drones

    For the average drone and the average person, I don't think there is a weapon available that will take down a drone. Most of them fly way too high for a rifle to hit them, or even for a person to see them.

  5. #55
    Sage
    WCH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    The Lone Star State.
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    22,161

    Re: FAA warns public against shooting guns at drones

    I doubt there a need for these drones to fly low enough to be shot.

    FWIW if they are low enough, a 10 ga. goose gun would work well.

    Don't really need to shoot them down, just blind them. How about lasers?

  6. #56
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: FAA warns public against shooting guns at drones

    I'd be a lot more comfortable with the use of technology designed to render a drone either blind or some degree of inoperable.

    That which comes up must come down, including bullets, so the idea of shooting at something flying by a residential area makes me very nervous.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  7. #57
    Sage


    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    SW Virginia
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 07:34 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    18,264

    Re: FAA warns public against shooting guns at drones

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry David View Post
    For the average drone and the average person, I don't think there is a weapon available that will take down a drone. Most of them fly way too high for a rifle to hit them, or even for a person to see them.
    I might decide to make a drone of my own. There might be a market. "A drone of your own." Spouse cheating? Save the cost of a detective. Buy a drone of your own. Did your dog run off? Find him in minutes with a drone of your own. Check up on your teenage kids with a drone of your own. FAA headaches galore.

  8. #58
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:32 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,348

    Re: FAA warns public against shooting guns at drones

    Quote Originally Posted by humbolt View Post
    I might decide to make a drone of my own. There might be a market. "A drone of your own." Spouse cheating? Save the cost of a detective. Buy a drone of your own. Did your dog run off? Find him in minutes with a drone of your own. Check up on your teenage kids with a drone of your own. FAA headaches galore.
    Good morning, humbolt!

    Since you are contemplating making a drone, may I ask for a favor? Please also fashion a means for the drone to obliterate the weeds growing like a jungle in my garden! Believe me, there will be a ready market for that! It's just been too darn hot to handle it the old-fashioned way...pulling them by hand while cursing their existence, so anything you can do will be appreciated! in advance. :

  9. #59
    better late than pregnant
    Gonzo Rodeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Here
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:05 AM
    Lean
    Private
    Posts
    4,132

    Re: FAA warns public against shooting guns at drones

    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    What if you caught a drone hovering over your private property or looking in your window? I'll bet even an amatuer could manage to hit it, then.

    I abhor the entire idea of the government using drones to spy on US citizens...at least with police helicopters you can hear and see them coming and when you do you can later read about it in the news as to who and/or what they were going after. So if drones are being used then please at the very least let there be a law that they can't be armed...or used to physically attack anyone. But maybe there's such a law already and its buried in the agriculture bill.

    I'd approve of shooting down drones if they're being abused by the government or even citizens for that matter. I think it's a total invasion of privacy.
    Drones don't hover.
    "Political speech and writing are largely the defense of the indefensible. . . . Thus political language has to consist largely of euphemism, question-begging and sheer cloudy vagueness."
    ~Orwell, Politics and the English Language

  10. #60
    Sage
    Moot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Utah
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:47 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    27,463

    Re: FAA warns public against shooting guns at drones

    Last edited by Moot; 07-20-13 at 04:45 PM.

Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •