Page 57 of 60 FirstFirst ... 7475556575859 ... LastLast
Results 561 to 570 of 593

Thread: Judge rules Detroit bankruptcy filing UNCONSTITUTIONAL[W:584]

  1. #561
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    re: Judge rules Detroit bankruptcy filing UNCONSTITUTIONAL[W:584]

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Perhaps a few are. There are most always a few people who do most things - even if they are the exceptions to the rule.

    But look at this statistic about Michigan - and that is what we are talking about. In 1950, there were 4.5 million people living in southeastern Michigan with 1.8 million of them living in Detroit. Today there are 720,000 people living in Detroit.... while the same number as 60 years ago - 4.5 million live in southeastern Michigan.

    The migration has simply been from the city to the suburbs.
    People left, that's for sure. What it does indicate is that the State of Michigan is not attracting people while other States have been growing. Perhaps there are reasons that should be honestly looked at

  2. #562
    Sage
    Cephus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    CA
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 08:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Conservative
    Posts
    29,749

    re: Judge rules Detroit bankruptcy filing UNCONSTITUTIONAL[W:584]

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Sorry but I do not live in right wing world.
    Or the real world for that matter.
    There is nothing demonstrably true that religion can provide the world that cannot be achieved more rationally through entirely secular means.

    Blog me! YouTube me! VidMe me!

  3. #563
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:50 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,626

    re: Judge rules Detroit bankruptcy filing UNCONSTITUTIONAL[W:584]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    You don't know either, huh? Maybe you should ask a close family member.
    Why are you unable to explain your own comment?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  4. #564
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:50 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,626

    re: Judge rules Detroit bankruptcy filing UNCONSTITUTIONAL[W:584]

    Quote Originally Posted by Cephus View Post
    Or the real world for that matter.
    Why would you say something like that?
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  5. #565
    Sage



    Jack Fabulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    midwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    10,703
    Blog Entries
    1

    re: Judge rules Detroit bankruptcy filing UNCONSTITUTIONAL[W:584]

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Why would you say something like that?
    Could have something to do with you trying to place blame on a couple of Republican Mayors who left office more than fifty years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Detroit began its slide under two consecutive Republican mayors from 1950 through 1961. During that time, under Cobo and Mariani, Detroit lost 10% of its population. That was the beginning of the end of a trend that is still in effect today.
    Tough to live that one down...

  6. #566
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:50 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,626

    re: Judge rules Detroit bankruptcy filing UNCONSTITUTIONAL[W:584]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Fabulous View Post
    Could have something to do with you trying to place blame on a couple of Republican Mayors who left office more than fifty years ago.


    Tough to live that one down...
    Why are you lying?

    Why are you attempting to take a part of my post and take it out of its complete context?

    Why would you intentionally misrepresent my complete argument which had the total opposite end as its major point?

    My point was clear: those on the right who attempt to use the Detroit situation as a sledge hammer to beat Democrats or the progressives and blame them as the cause of the Detroit bankruptcy and engaging in intellectual fraud. it ignores many things including what I repeatedly stated were the main reasons for the situation
    1- the economic abandonment of the city as evident by a 2/3 population exodus and loss of businness. jobs and the tax base which went with it, and
    2- the tremendous racial gap and divide and the problems caused by that.

    You know this well because you took issue with it and called it a GROSS MISREPRESEANTATION. So we know you are well aware of it.

    YOu also know well that my listing of the two republican mayors was to paint the COMPLETE PICTURE of Detroit s slide which began in 1951 seeing the city lose 10% of its population in that decade.

    To twist, distort, cherry pick and otherwise pervert my comment out of that context is to engage in the worst sort of intellectual fraud.
    Last edited by haymarket; 07-24-13 at 08:33 PM.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  7. #567
    Sage



    Jack Fabulous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    midwest
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    10,703
    Blog Entries
    1

    re: Judge rules Detroit bankruptcy filing UNCONSTITUTIONAL[W:584]

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    Why are you lying?

    Why are you attempting to take a part of my post and take it out of its complete context?

    Why would you intentionally misrepresent my complete argument which had the total opposite end as its major point?

    My point was clear: those on the right who attempt to use the Detroit situation as a sledge hammer to beat Democrats or the progressives and blame them as the cause of the Detroit bankruptcy and engaging in intellectual fraud. it ignores many things including what I repeatedly stated were the main reasons for the situation
    1- the economic abandonment of the city as evident by a 2/3 population exodus and loss of businness. jobs and the tax base which went with it, and
    2- the tremendous racial gap and divide and the problems caused by that.

    You know this well because you took issue with it and called it a GROSS MISREPRESEANTATION. So we know you are well aware of it.

    YOu also know well that my listing of the two republican mayors was to paint the COMPLETE PICTURE of Detroit s slide which began in 1951 seeing the city lose 10% of its population in that decade.

    To twist, distort, cherry pick and otherwise pervert my comment out of that context is to engage in the worst sort of intellectual fraud.
    I think you're taking this all wrong. You asked why another forum member would insinuate that you don't live in the real world. You asked why he would say that. I was genuinely concerned so I took it upon myself to offer a possible reason as to why someone would make such a claim.

    I mean... OBVIOUSLY it would be completely retarded to suggest that a Mayor back in 1955 has even a modicum of culpability for what has become of Detroit and we all should KNOW that you weren't suggesting this. All I was trying to do was to point out that someone COULD infer that you were trying to claim that events that occurred way back when, over half a century ago, by people that are long dead, are somehow relevant to the current situation. You see, for some people that COULD be interpreted as a shameless attempt to make it seem as if Republicans somehow bear a portion of the responsibility because a couple of them presided over the city... starting just prior to the start of the Korean war and ending just prior to the start of Vietnam war.

    Look, I know full well that you are above these sorts of shenanigans but others may not know that. I was merely trying to shed some light on a troubling situation... because I care.

  8. #568
    Sage

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:50 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    89,626

    re: Judge rules Detroit bankruptcy filing UNCONSTITUTIONAL[W:584]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Fabulous View Post
    I think you're taking this all wrong. You asked why another forum member would insinuate that you don't live in the real world. You asked why he would say that. I was genuinely concerned so I took it upon myself to offer a possible reason as to why someone would make such a claim..
    Yeah right. And The Japanese were just trying to help update the American fleet at Pearl Harbor in 41.
    __________________________________________________ _
    There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers

  9. #569
    Resident Cat Expert
    Green Balls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Last Seen
    11-13-15 @ 08:02 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    1,292

    re: Judge rules Detroit bankruptcy filing UNCONSTITUTIONAL[W:584]

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Fabulous View Post
    I think you're taking this all wrong. You asked why another forum member would insinuate that you don't live in the real world. You asked why he would say that. I was genuinely concerned so I took it upon myself to offer a possible reason as to why someone would make such a claim.

    I mean... OBVIOUSLY it would be completely retarded to suggest that a Mayor back in 1955 has even a modicum of culpability for what has become of Detroit and we all should KNOW that you weren't suggesting this. All I was trying to do was to point out that someone COULD infer that you were trying to claim that events that occurred way back when, over half a century ago, by people that are long dead, are somehow relevant to the current situation. You see, for some people that COULD be interpreted as a shameless attempt to make it seem as if Republicans somehow bear a portion of the responsibility because a couple of them presided over the city... starting just prior to the start of the Korean war and ending just prior to the start of Vietnam war.

    Look, I know full well that you are above these sorts of shenanigans but others may not know that. I was merely trying to shed some light on a troubling situation... because I care.
    The fact of the matter is Coleman Young allowed Detroit's government to become corrupted during his 30+ years in office. The city council started funneling money to the point where it seemed to magically disappear. The police department became corrupt. The school board became corrupt. It isn't a coincidence that all this happened while he was in office. Yes, it became worse after he was out, but it all started with him. He only managed to stay in office that long because he had cronies that would target most of the poor people by telling them their houses would be torn down if they didn't vote for him.
    Scientific fact: If you took all of the veins from your body and laid them end to end, you would die.

  10. #570
    long standing member
    justabubba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Last Seen
    Today @ 11:15 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,127

    re: Judge rules Detroit bankruptcy filing UNCONSTITUTIONAL[W:584]

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    But many are moving to 'right to work' states which are more free from the Union/Democratic mutual corruption association. I feel this mess will continue until there are greater State rights where they will be competing with each other to attract the best people. Right now, in many areas, there is little incentive to work hard, develop a trade, and improve your life and that of your family. The food stamp environment has made sure of that.
    yea
    like those are the people who are otherwise going to work hard and succeed
    damn foodstamps
    not being hungry is a deterrent to success you insist
    notice how stupid that sounds
    we are negotiating about dividing a pizza and in the meantime israel is eating it
    once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed

Page 57 of 60 FirstFirst ... 7475556575859 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •