Page 20 of 60 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 593

Thread: Judge rules Detroit bankruptcy filing UNCONSTITUTIONAL[W:584]

  1. #191
    Sage
    cpwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    USofA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    57,114

    re: Judge rules Detroit bankruptcy filing UNCONSTITUTIONAL[W:584]

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    There just might be an island or two for sale in the Pacific where you can officially cancel your obligations to society and your fellow Americans.
    I have no obligation to make up for the city of Detroit getting sunk by its' unions, any more than I have an obligation to make up for e-readers' effects on traditional bookstores or bankers making bad bets.

  2. #192
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Last Seen
    01-27-15 @ 11:37 AM
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    8,247

    re: Judge rules Detroit bankruptcy filing UNCONSTITUTIONAL[W:584]

    Quote Originally Posted by haymarket View Post
    There just might be an island or two for sale in the Pacific where you can officially cancel your obligations to society and your fellow Americans.
    Or, he could support candidates who won't take money out of his pocket to pay for governmental screw ups. You know, the political solution.

  3. #193
    Renaissance Man
    Captain Adverse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Mid-West USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    8,563
    Blog Entries
    1

    re: Judge rules Detroit bankruptcy filing UNCONSTITUTIONAL[W:584]

    Quote Originally Posted by Peter King View Post
    I am talking in general, governments shouldn't be able to declare bankruptcy IMHO, of course there is a legal way to or else Detroit would not have filed for it, but morally I think it is the wrong message to send to citizens and other local governments alike.
    I agree. I am aware of the law cited, but I think is is a get-out-of-jail free card for government entities. They are not required to maintain balanced budgets, they are free to spend against future income and if this policy fails, default. That's ridiculous.

    My concern is with the fact our Federal government is doing essentially the same thing with deficit spending and periodic increases of the debt ceiling. This is insane!! Any competent government strives to maintain not only a balanced budget, but to develop a budget surplus for emergencies. The only time deficit spending should ever be allowed is when the nation is involved in a "total war." TOTAL, as in requiring the entire productive might of the country to win; not "easy wars" like Iraq or mere "police actions" like Afghanistan.

    Detroit probably did the same thing with funds dedicated to retirement as our Federal government has with Social Security; used them to pay for other government functions in hopes that future revenues would replace and cover them. Look how THAT"S turned out.
    Last edited by Captain Adverse; 07-20-13 at 09:04 PM.
    If I stop responding it doesn't mean I've conceded the point or agree with you. It only means I've made my point and I don't mind you having the last word. Please wait a few minutes before "quoting" me. I often correct errors for a minute or two after I post before the final product is ready.

  4. #194
    Sage
    apdst's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bagdad, La.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    76,461

    re: Judge rules Detroit bankruptcy filing UNCONSTITUTIONAL[W:584]

    She could have left this part out and NOT looked like a political hack judge.

    [quote]“It’s cheating, sir, and it’s cheating good people who work,” the judge told assistant state Attorney General Brian Devlin. “It’s also not honoring the (United States) president, who took (Detroit’s auto companies) out of bankruptcy.”

    From The Detroit News: Ingham County judge rules Detroit bankruptcy be withdrawn; Schuette appeals | The Detroit News
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    At least Bill saved his transgressions for grown women. Not suggesting what he did was OK. But he didn't chase 14 year olds.

  5. #195
    Sage
    polgara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    18,351

    re: Judge rules Detroit bankruptcy filing UNCONSTITUTIONAL[W:584]

    [QUOTE=apdst;1062084940]She could have left this part out and NOT looked like a political hack judge.

    “It’s cheating, sir, and it’s cheating good people who work,” the judge told assistant state Attorney General Brian Devlin. “It’s also not honoring the (United States) president, who took (Detroit’s auto companies) out of bankruptcy.”

    From The Detroit News: Ingham County judge rules Detroit bankruptcy be withdrawn; Schuette appeals | The Detroit News
    Sorry, but my duty is to honor the office of the President, not for what he does as President. Talk about spin!

  6. #196
    Sage
    JC Callender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Metro Detroit
    Last Seen
    12-08-17 @ 05:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    5,632

    re: Judge rules Detroit bankruptcy filing UNCONSTITUTIONAL[W:584]

    Hello CJ, hope all's well with you!

    What would have to happen for the state to remove the City of Detroit government and install a new one?

    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaJohn View Post
    I agree with you - being in Louisiana, you shouldn't have any skin in this debacle. But the people of Michigan, not just those in Detroit, are on the hook, in my view, because they elected a state government that has some control over cities within the state and should have, long ago, taken over operation of Detroit and set it on the right path. The corruption in the city's government has been known for at least a decade if not more. The people of Michigan elected the state government that didn't act, and now they have to suffer the consequences.

  7. #197
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    re: Judge rules Detroit bankruptcy filing UNCONSTITUTIONAL[W:584]

    Quote Originally Posted by Federalist View Post
    Or, he could support candidates who won't take money out of his pocket to pay for governmental screw ups. You know, the political solution.
    It really doesn't matter who you vote for because the bureaucracy rules. Politicians may come and go but the bureaucracies will remain and continue to grow, despite any weak economy, and will enact rules that the public must follow. The idea that government employees are 'servants of the people' is a quaint idea but no longer applicable. They have all the power now and we happily gave it to them. We will not be getting it back.

  8. #198
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    re: Judge rules Detroit bankruptcy filing UNCONSTITUTIONAL[W:584]

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Adverse View Post
    I agree. I am aware of the law cited, but I think is is a get-out-of-jail free card for government entities. They are not required to maintain balanced budgets, they are free to spend against future income and if this policy fails, default. That's ridiculous.

    My concern is with the fact our Federal government is doing essentially the same thing with deficit spending and periodic increases of the debt ceiling. This is insane!! Any competent government strives to maintain not only a balanced budget, but to develop a budget surplus for emergencies. The only time deficit spending should ever be allowed is when the nation is involved in a "total war." TOTAL, as in requiring the entire productive might of the country to win; not "easy wars" like Iraq or mere "police actions" like Afghanistan.

    Detroit probably did the same thing with funds dedicated to retirement as our Federal government has with Social Security; used them to pay for other government functions in hopes that future revenues would replace and cover them. Look how THAT"S turned out.
    Quite right. The politicians in Washington are doing to the American economy what their counterparts did in Detroit. There is no real difference.

  9. #199
    Electrician
    Bob Blaylock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    North 38°28′ West 121°26′
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:35 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Conservative
    Posts
    13,745

    re: Judge rules Detroit bankruptcy filing UNCONSTITUTIONAL[W:584]

    Quote Originally Posted by Erod View Post
    There...is...no...money.

    Democrats just don't get the concept.
    They just need to raise taxes on “the rich”, don't they? Get “the rich” to pay “their fair share”. Isn't that how Democrats always solve all these sort of problems?
    Last edited by Bob Blaylock; 07-21-13 at 03:44 AM. Reason: May the Forks be with you, always.
    The five great lies of the Left Wrong:
    We can be Godless and free. • “Social justice” through forced redistribution of wealth. • Silencing religious opinions counts as “diversity”. • Freedom without moral and personal responsibility. • Civilization can survive the intentional undermining of the family.

  10. #200
    Canadian Conservative
    CanadaJohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    27,190

    re: Judge rules Detroit bankruptcy filing UNCONSTITUTIONAL[W:584]

    Quote Originally Posted by JC Callender View Post
    Hello CJ, hope all's well with you!

    What would have to happen for the state to remove the City of Detroit government and install a new one?
    Good morning JC - I'm well and hope you're doing ok too.

    I'm not sure what it would involve or if it would be necessary to "remove" the city government and install a new one - I was referring to the State's ability to install an Emergency Manager, as they've recently done, suspending the authority of the city government and giving that authority/power to the EM. I'm not sure if the State also has the power to remove the city government and call for new elections, but if the EM has all the power it wouldn't be necessary. I was suggesting the State should have acted long ago considering the financial problems and corruption.
    "Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views." William F. Buckley Jr.

Page 20 of 60 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •