Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 140

Thread: US judge rules not to drop Manning charge

  1. #21
    Advisor greyhat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    08-31-13 @ 01:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    562

    US judge rules not to drop Manning charge

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    This all comes back down to does this make Wikileaks a "enemy of the US"?
    Yes it does because, they have to prove that Manning had "actual knowledge" that by passing documents to WikiLeaks he was giving information to an enemy of the US.
    Manning is an intelligence specialist with knowledge of infosec and so he has no out- he knew this info would get to the enemy if leaked- that's why it was classified at the highest level- Top Secret!

  2. #22
    Sage


    MaggieD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Chicago Area
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    43,243
    Blog Entries
    43

    Re: US judge rules not to drop Manning charge

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    To prove that he aided the enemy the prosecution would have to prove that Manning had "actual knowledge" that by passing documents to WikiLeaks he was giving information to an enemy of the US.
    So you say. I, on the other hand, say you're wrong. No jury in their right minds is going to buy that argument. They will buy the argument that a reasonable man would foresee Wiki publishing the information; and, for that reason, he will be found guilty. You're splitting hairs.
    The devil whispered in my ear, "You cannot withstand the storm." I whispered back, "I am ​the storm."

  3. #23
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: US judge rules not to drop Manning charge

    Quote Originally Posted by TheDemSocialist View Post
    To prove that he aided the enemy the prosecution would have to prove that Manning had "actual knowledge" that by passing documents to WikiLeaks he was giving information to an enemy of the US.
    It doesn't matter if he knew the enemy would see it or not (which he did). He stole classified military documents and disseminated them to the public. It's a capital offense.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  4. #24
    defected to kekistan
    beerftw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    kekistan
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 01:42 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Socialist
    Posts
    13,376

    Re: US judge rules not to drop Manning charge

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray410 View Post
    Perhaps a reliable story. At this point, I don't have any interest in accepting Aljazeera as an unimpeachable US news source.
    al jazeera is currently the most unbiased mainstream news sourse,they litterally tell all news,no mztter who it hurts or who it offends.hence why the us has tried to block it,everything you only hear blips about on the internet in the us,is mainstream stories for al jazeera,and since al jazeera is foreign owned,the us has no control over what it reports.
    “[The metric system is the tool of the Devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead, and that’s the way I likes it!” – Abe “Grampa” Simpson”

  5. #25
    The Light of Truth
    Northern Light's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:01 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,965

    Re: US judge rules not to drop Manning charge

    I don't care what the technicalities and semantics are. Manning did the right thing. He exposed many of the realities of the war that the government has been hiding from us, details that would be evident if they would give the press free access to war zones like they used to.

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    Manning gave classified material to Wikileaks knowing that it would then be disseminated over the internet. Manning knew that the USA's enemies have access to the internet; therefore, Manning knowingly provided classified material to USA's enemies. That's treason.
    This is inaccurate. Wikileaks sorts through data and releases details which are high profile yet low risk. They don't just summarily take data and give it out to the world. Assange himself has said in many interviews that Wikileaks routinely withholds certain information from release because it could pose a danger to a lot of people.

    Assange is right about one thing though, our free press is coming to an end. Western governments are cracking down on information exchange at an alarming rate. The fact that they could cut financial access to Wikileaks through all banking institutions and credit companies just goes to show that freedom of speech no longer exists.

  6. #26
    Dungeon Master
    Hooter Babe

    DiAnna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    32,611
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: US judge rules not to drop Manning charge

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    I don't care what the technicalities and semantics are. Manning did the right thing. He exposed many of the realities of the war that the government has been hiding from us, details that would be evident if they would give the press free access to war zones like they used to.



    This is inaccurate. Wikileaks sorts through data and releases details which are high profile yet low risk. They don't just summarily take data and give it out to the world. Assange himself has said in many interviews that Wikileaks routinely withholds certain information from release because it could pose a danger to a lot of people.

    Assange is right about one thing though, our free press is coming to an end. Western governments are cracking down on information exchange at an alarming rate. The fact that they could cut financial access to Wikileaks through all banking institutions and credit companies just goes to show that freedom of speech no longer exists.
    You are still free to disagree with me, just as I am still free to disagree with you. And I do. Freedom of speech does not extend to posting classified information on the internet, where it can be used to do harm by our nation's... or any nation's... enemies. Espionage, treason, giving aid to the enemy are not constitutionally protected activities.

  7. #27
    Advisor greyhat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Last Seen
    08-31-13 @ 01:59 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    562

    US judge rules not to drop Manning charge

    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
    I don't care what the technicalities and semantics are. Manning did the right thing. He exposed many of the realities of the war that the government has been hiding from us, details that would be evident if they would give the press free access to war zones like they used to.



    This is inaccurate. Wikileaks sorts through data and releases details which are high profile yet low risk. They don't just summarily take data and give it out to the world. Assange himself has said in many interviews that Wikileaks routinely withholds certain information from release because it could pose a danger to a lot of people.

    Assange is right about one thing though, our free press is coming to an end. Western governments are cracking down on information exchange at an alarming rate. The fact that they could cut financial access to Wikileaks through all banking institutions and credit companies just goes to show that freedom of speech no longer exists.
    The technicalities you disagree with are THE LAW. Who the hell are Manning, Asange and Snowden to determine what the US should and should not keep secret- who the F made them the adjudicators of information security?!

    The answer: NO ONE

    You're freedom of speech stops at the "Classified" stamp!!

  8. #28
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,276

    Re: US judge rules not to drop Manning charge

    Quote Originally Posted by greyhat View Post
    The technicalities you disagree with are THE LAW. Who the hell are Manning, Asange and Snowden to determine what the US should and should not keep secret- who the F made them the adjudicators of information security?!

    The answer: NO ONE

    You're freedom of speech stops at the "Classified" stamp!!
    So then, if The Law required that every first born be sacrificed at the altar, you would obey it? Would that be what you consider a worthy law, or do you consider all the legislative product to be worthy?

    Since when is it wrong in any way to expose the crimes of government, and by what authority?

  9. #29
    Sage


    Thoreau72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 09:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    20,276

    Re: US judge rules not to drop Manning charge

    Quote Originally Posted by DiAnna View Post
    You are still free to disagree with me, just as I am still free to disagree with you. And I do. Freedom of speech does not extend to posting classified information on the internet, where it can be used to do harm by our nation's... or any nation's... enemies. Espionage, treason, giving aid to the enemy are not constitutionally protected activities.
    This isn't a joke type question, but just who is this "enemy" of which you speak? Would that be the Taliban, to whom Colin Powell delivered $40+ million dollars in April of 2001, or perhaps AQ, a creature of our very own CIA?

    Since Robert Gates as SecDef is on the record as saying the material Manning released harmed no US soldier in any way, what harm was really done by that release of minimally classified information?

  10. #30
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:27 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,580

    Re: US judge rules not to drop Manning charge

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    I disagree of course. In this case it's a simple and straightforward line he learned and agreed to BEFORE he received his classification.
    Exactly! You promise to give or permit access to classified information only to those you know, or reasonably believe, to be cleared to see it and have a need to know. Obviously handing gobs of classified information to Wikileaks or simply leaving it on a public sidewalk are apt to let it fall into "unauthorized" hands.
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •