Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 101

Thread: Driving somewhere? There's a gov't record of that

  1. #41
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Driving somewhere? There's a gov't record of that

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    Just think you can't even go in your backyard without a little camera from space on your ass. How nice. Enjoy your police state if you want, I won't.
    They don't need to use one from space. They have one in so many places in public, remember?
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  2. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Driving somewhere? There's a gov't record of that

    Quote Originally Posted by JayGatsby View Post
    Actually that would make me feel safer, if I was walking on the street and happened to be robbed or something maybe they could use the recording to track the criminal? I honestly don't understand how you can feel violated by a recording of you walking or driving through a public place. Like I said the fact they keep all of our phone records stored makes me feel violated because I expect that to be private, this is in public.
    I expect the government to NEVER watch me or anyone else.

  3. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Driving somewhere? There's a gov't record of that

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    They don't need to use one from space. They have one in so many places in public, remember?
    It's a bit hard to cram one in my neighborhood I would imagine and get it to look into my backyard. Hey, I might be having sex back there. OH NOOOOOO!!!

    Really, what if? Isn't that what your argument is all about? What if? What if I kill a bro back there? It could happen. We just have to assist the police in getting me, right?

  4. #44
    User JayGatsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    03-27-14 @ 05:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    62

    Re: Driving somewhere? There's a gov't record of that

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I expect the government to NEVER watch me or anyone else.
    Is this because you actually feel threatened, or you have a strict ideological belief that any government surveillance is wrong no matter how practical.
    In our personal ambitions we are individualists. But in our seeking for economic and political progress as a nation, we all go up or else all go down as one people.
    - FDR

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Driving somewhere? There's a gov't record of that

    Quote Originally Posted by JayGatsby View Post
    Is this because you actually feel threatened, or you have a strict ideological belief that any government surveillance is wrong no matter how practical.
    How is it practical to give the government massive amounts of information about its citizens? That seems a bit stupid, imho.

  6. #46
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Driving somewhere? There's a gov't record of that

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    It's a bit hard to cram one in my neighborhood I would imagine and get it to look into my backyard. Hey, I might be having sex back there. OH NOOOOOO!!!

    Really, what if? Isn't that what your argument is all about? What if? What if I kill a bro back there? It could happen. We just have to assist the police in getting me, right?
    It is private if it is done in your private yard. If you are planning on killing him in public though, that is a different story. If you are a criminal and plan on doing something in public (such as robbing someone or kidnapping someone) and are seen or leave your car perhaps close to the scene of the crime (but still in public), then you will get caught because of this. It is basically based on chance and expectation of privacy in where you are while doing something.
    Last edited by roguenuke; 07-18-13 at 02:01 AM.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  7. #47
    User JayGatsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Last Seen
    03-27-14 @ 05:03 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Progressive
    Posts
    62

    Re: Driving somewhere? There's a gov't record of that

    I guess we never will agree... I just don't have a problem with the gov't storing information that I didn't intend to be private, especially if it could be used for a good purpose (crime).
    In our personal ambitions we are individualists. But in our seeking for economic and political progress as a nation, we all go up or else all go down as one people.
    - FDR

  8. #48
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Driving somewhere? There's a gov't record of that

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    It is in your private yard. If you are planning on killing him in public though, that is a different story. If you are a criminal and plan on doing something in public (such as robbing someone or kidnapping someone) and are seen or leave your car perhaps close to the scene of the crime (but still in public), then you will get caught because of this. It is basically based on chance and expectation of privacy in where you are while doing something.
    I don't know, how can I expect privacy in my back yard? Seems pretty public to me. Let's go out and check...

    Yup, I'm in the middle of my yard and all sorts of people can see me. Seems pretty public.

    So where is my camera? Don't I deserve more love than cameras from space?

  9. #49
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Driving somewhere? There's a gov't record of that

    I don't understand what the issue is here. I'm totally aware of the ramifications of cell phones, etc being surveilled and am totally against any gov't entity doing it. However, if you do something in public you have already surrendered any sort of privacy you can expect to have as a citizen. You committed whatever action we are speaking of in public after all. Whether it's the gossip next door or a traffic camera, you have been seen doing it. If one does not want to be observed driving, don't drive. Get a bike. They don't require a license plate.....yet.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  10. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Driving somewhere? There's a gov't record of that

    Quote Originally Posted by JayGatsby View Post
    I guess we never will agree... I just don't have a problem with the gov't storing information that I didn't intend to be private, especially if it could be used for a good purpose (crime).
    Hey, give the government information about you. It's probably a brilliant idea that has no chance of turning out to be really stupid.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •