Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 101

Thread: Driving somewhere? There's a gov't record of that

  1. #91
    Anti political parties
    FreedomFromAll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    New Mexico USA
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:47 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    12,041

    Re: Driving somewhere? There's a gov't record of that


  2. #92
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Driving somewhere? There's a gov't record of that

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    The government has all it needs to solve crime without knowing anything that I'm doing day to day. It is best that the government is ignorant of what I'm doing at all times. When it's found I committed a crime they can investigate the crime like usual without any material they gained before such point.
    If you think this, then you don't jack about what it takes to not only solve a crime, but to get enough evidence to successfully convict the person. (Go look up some called the CSI Effect) I'm studying Criminal Justice. It isn't really as easy as CSI or any of those other shows make it out to be like when it comes to solving crimes. It takes a lot of effort and a whole lot of evidence. Video/picture proof that someone was in an area at the time of a crime not only helps to make a connection to a suspect, but also can be used against that person when it comes to a conviction.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  3. #93
    Sage
    Visbek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:40 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,996

    Re: Driving somewhere? There's a gov't record of that

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    I don't expect my actions are private...
    Apparently you do.

    Like it or not, when you're in public, you have very limited control of what information can be collected about you, by whom, for what purpose, and for how long it can be stored.

    A private investigator can follow you for six months, hang onto the information for years, and use it later. A street photographer can take your picture, put it in her files, and display it in a gallery 20 years later.

    Or: EZ-Pass is an electronic toll system used in the northeast. Unless a law stipulates otherwise, they can keep data about individuals passing through tolls for as long as they want. They can use the data to analyze traffic patterns, or locate stolen cars. A divorce attorney can subpoena records to prove that you were or weren't where you said you were.

    You don't have to like it -- nor did I say anywhere that you ought to like it. As I said, there's a difference between "legal" and "beneficial/harmful." However, you do not have the option to declare that collecting this data is "illegal" solely because you don't like it.

  4. #94
    versus the world
    Surtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The greatest planet in the world.
    Last Seen
    06-10-14 @ 03:54 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    7,017

    Re: Driving somewhere? There's a gov't record of that

    Quote Originally Posted by danarhea View Post
    The Police State is on steroids, and our freedoms are on life support.

    Article is here.
    I'm fine with this.
    I love the NSA. It's like having a secret fan-base you will never see, but they're there, watching everything you write and it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that I may be some person's only form of unconstitutional entertainment one night.

  5. #95
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Driving somewhere? There's a gov't record of that

    Quote Originally Posted by roguenuke View Post
    If you think this, then you don't jack about what it takes to not only solve a crime, but to get enough evidence to successfully convict the person. (Go look up some called the CSI Effect) I'm studying Criminal Justice. It isn't really as easy as CSI or any of those other shows make it out to be like when it comes to solving crimes. It takes a lot of effort and a whole lot of evidence. Video/picture proof that someone was in an area at the time of a crime not only helps to make a connection to a suspect, but also can be used against that person when it comes to a conviction.
    But they don't really need the video/picture evidence to prove the crime. Sorry, but I wasn't wrong. Crying to me about how it's harder without it is not telling me anything I didn't already know.
    Last edited by Henrin; 07-19-13 at 11:21 PM.

  6. #96
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Last Seen
    07-19-17 @ 03:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    60,458

    Re: Driving somewhere? There's a gov't record of that

    Quote Originally Posted by Visbek View Post
    Apparently you do.

    Like it or not, when you're in public, you have very limited control of what information can be collected about you, by whom, for what purpose, and for how long it can be stored.

    A private investigator can follow you for six months, hang onto the information for years, and use it later. A street photographer can take your picture, put it in her files, and display it in a gallery 20 years later.

    Or: EZ-Pass is an electronic toll system used in the northeast. Unless a law stipulates otherwise, they can keep data about individuals passing through tolls for as long as they want. They can use the data to analyze traffic patterns, or locate stolen cars. A divorce attorney can subpoena records to prove that you were or weren't where you said you were.

    You don't have to like it -- nor did I say anywhere that you ought to like it. As I said, there's a difference between "legal" and "beneficial/harmful." However, you do not have the option to declare that collecting this data is "illegal" solely because you don't like it.
    I have no problem with regular everyday people taking my picture. What I have a problem with is government having access to information about me and having the authority to spy on me. Access to information should not be wide open until otherwise noted, but the exact opposite away around. Where it's barred unless otherwise noted.

  7. #97
    Sage
    roguenuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 05:55 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    28,935

    Re: Driving somewhere? There's a gov't record of that

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    But they don't really need the video/picture evidence to prove the crime. Sorry, but I wasn't wrong. Crying to me about how it's harder without it is not telling me anything I didn't already know.
    In many cases, they do, whether it is finding a suspect to begin with or providing enough evidence to prove the person actually did it.
    "A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water." - Eleanor Roosevelt

    Keep your religion out of other people's marriages.

  8. #98
    Haters gon' hate
    MarineTpartier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    01-04-16 @ 04:58 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    5,586
    Blog Entries
    8

    Re: Driving somewhere? There's a gov't record of that

    Quote Originally Posted by Anagram View Post
    Reading more about it I will say that a few things about this does have me concerned. At least in Minneapolis these records are available to be disclosed to anyone asking for them. Apparently the Minnesota Star Tribune was able to find out the Mayor was tracked 41 times in the past year as well as that a reporter was tracked 7 times. There seems to be lots of potential for trouble there.

    Also apparently any individual police officer can just enter a license plate number of anyone they want and get the whole history. I had figured it would only pop up with the information if the car was on some sort of hot list. They shouldn't be able to just look up information from supposedly innocent people.

    I still don't disapprove of this program as a whole, but there should be some safeguards.
    This is exactly where I stand. I have no issue with the cameras. There just needs to be a check and balance on it. No one should have the power to access this database unless the subject of the search is the suspect in a crime.
    “Mr. Speaker, I once again find myself compelled to vote against the annual budget resolution for a very simple reason: it makes government bigger.” ― Ron Paul
    Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

  9. #99
    Sage
    Visbek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:40 PM
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    9,996

    Re: Driving somewhere? There's a gov't record of that

    Quote Originally Posted by Henrin View Post
    What I have a problem with is government having access to information about me and having the authority to spy on me.
    Fine, but your dislike does not actually make it illegal.


    Access to information should not be wide open until otherwise noted, but the exact opposite away around. Where it's barred unless otherwise noted.
    And again: All your actions are happening out in the open, thus no constitutional stipulations bars this kind of data collection. If you don't want it collected, you'll have to convince someone to pass a law to that effect.

  10. #100
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Driving somewhere? There's a gov't record of that

    I'm okay with devices that read license plates and run the registration. Police officers are free to do that already, and this allows them to pay more attention to their surroundings.

    What I'm not okay with is the storage, correlation and analysis of this information. To me, the relevant question isn't whether or not I have anything to hide, but whether or not the cops need a new authority or gadget or information source to do the job they've been doing for decades. They do not need a database tracking the movements of vehicles in order to do their jobs.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •