Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 272

Thread: Texas Senate passes sweeping new abortion restrictions[W:240]

  1. #81
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: Texas Senate passes sweeping new abortion restrictions

    Quote Originally Posted by joko104 View Post
    A federal court has already rules against the restriction that only hospital-allowed doctors may do abortions. The language also could prevent clinics from preventing MAPs to women, including rape victims - thus only leaving the alternative of abortion later - thus a law that potentially increases the number of abortions.
    Obviously that's not true otherwise you'd support the bill.

  2. #82
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,075

    Re: Texas Senate passes sweeping new abortion restrictions

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Really? So everyone who claims that the vast majority of abortions occur well before 20 weeks is wrong?
    No, you're purposely acting as obtuse as possible to pretend you don't get my point.

    I'm saying that women who get abortions near the 20th week usually do so because of economic hardship.
    I'm not saying that most women don't have abortions before the 20th week.

    The statement that women who have abortions near the 20th week do so out of economic hardship is not contradicting to the statement that most women have abortions before the 20th week.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  3. #83
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: Texas Senate passes sweeping new abortion restrictions

    Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox696 View Post
    I'm well aware of the art of debate and I'm also aware that denying an argument because you don't like it is not a valid tactic.
    Of course it does.
    The logic is deliberately similar to the logic of the pro-life crowd. If you think it's asinine, then we can agree on that.
    It's not your opinion, but rather the logic in defending this Texas law that I'm challenging. I completely understand the position of pro-life, but the logic supporting this bill is, as you aptly described, asinine.
    This is what they call irony.


    I'm cannot begin to tell you how amusing I find your post here. You're arguing against gun control...I'm arguing against abortion. You're creating an example to counter the tongue-in-cheek position I created as an example.

    Just to be clear, I am not advocating the position on gun control I took. Rather I was using similar reasoning as the pro-life people in this thread were and applied it to a different situation.
    I'm not trying to compare guns and abortion. I'm simply using the logic to put forth a law I'm guessing you and many other pro-lifers would disagree with.

    As I said before...When you understand why you have trouble with the reasoning behind the position, perhaps you'll gain some insight into the problems pro-choice has with the logic of pro-life in this thread.
    A non-sensical and completely false comparison tells us more about some pro-choice logic. To try to do what you're doing you have to compare things that are actually comparable. If I said I should be allowed to dump toxic waste directly into drinking water based on my freedom of choice, would you think I made some great point or would point out that it's the actual facts and details that make a difference.

  4. #84
    Dungeon Master
    anti socialist

    X Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Texas Proud
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 12:48 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    44,727

    Re: Texas Senate passes sweeping new abortion restrictions

    Quote Originally Posted by Hatuey View Post
    No, you're purposely acting as obtuse as possible to pretend you don't get my point.

    I'm saying that women who get abortions near the 20th week usually do so because of economic hardship.
    I'm not saying that most women don't have abortions before the 20th week.

    The statement that women who have abortions near the 20th week do so out of economic hardship is not contradicting to the statement that most women have abortions before the 20th week.
    Ok, what I'm truly having trouble with is the logic of waiting until something is more expensive before you do it as a way to lesson economic hardship.

  5. #85
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:01 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,320

    Re: Texas Senate passes sweeping new abortion restrictions

    Isn't Texas just Great. Good job to our Legislators and our Govenor.

    Its a step in the Right direction for the rights of the unborn.

  6. #86
    Sage

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Last Seen
    10-28-17 @ 06:19 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    15,248

    Re: Texas Senate passes sweeping new abortion restrictions

    Texas once more leapfrogs Florida as the state with the looniest laws and the most reactionary politicians. Come on, Florida! There's still time to regain the lead!

    In what other state would they confiscate tampons from women in the gallery and yet allow guns to be carried? Hilarious!

    http://gawker.com/no-tampons-and-pad...gina-758492109
    "Groups with guitars are on the way out, Mr. Epstein"

    Dick Rowe, A & R man
    Decca Records
    London, 1962

  7. #87
    Sage
    Hatuey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Last Seen
    Today @ 07:06 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    42,075

    Re: Texas Senate passes sweeping new abortion restrictions

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    Ok, what I'm truly having trouble with is the logic of waiting until something is more expensive before you do it as a way to lesson economic hardship.
    They're not waiting until it's more expensive. It becomes more expensive as they wait. However, it doesn't become so expensive that it's unreachable. For example: Imagine you want to buy X on week Z. However, the longer you wait, the more X goes up in value. Only the rising of this value is not so high that you don't catch up to it by week Y.

    So using numbers: Say that before week 4 an abortion costs 400. A woman is not able to afford an abortion within the first 4 weeks because she can only put away 50$ a week. By week 8, the abortion cost goes up to 450. The woman by week 8 is still not able to afford it. However, by week 9, she's gathered enough money to afford it.

    4weeks x 50 = $200 : Abortion cost 400. - She can't afford it.
    8weeks x 50 = $400 : Abortion cost 450 - She can't afford it.

    9th week: Woman has gotten 450 dollars - she can afford it however at a higher price than if she had gotten it in week 4.
    I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality. - MLK

  8. #88
    Sage
    Slyfox696's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Last Seen
    Today @ 12:47 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Moderate
    Posts
    7,986

    Re: Texas Senate passes sweeping new abortion restrictions

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    A non-sensical and completely false comparison tells us more about some pro-choice logic. To try to do what you're doing you have to compare things that are actually comparable. If I said I should be allowed to dump toxic waste directly into drinking water based on my freedom of choice, would you think I made some great point or would point out that it's the actual facts and details that make a difference.
    You're confusing rationale with position. I'm using the same rationale given to support this law in an example to support another (fictional) law. If you think the logic is irrational, I would agree with you. But you seem to be okay with the logic when it supports something you want while not being okay with it when it supports something else.

    I think they call that hypocrisy.

  9. #89
    On Vacation
    joko104's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Last Seen
    Today @ 04:30 AM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    31,569
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Texas Senate passes sweeping new abortion restrictions

    I wish when people started threads about a law they'd bother to post a link to the actual text of the law, rather than just a link to some editorial summarizing it.


    Bill Text: TX SB5 | 2013 | 83rd Legislature 1st Special Session | Engrossed | LegiScan

  10. #90
    Sage
    Dezaad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Last Seen
    06-28-15 @ 10:43 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    5,058
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Texas Senate passes sweeping new abortion restrictions

    Quote Originally Posted by tessaesque View Post
    I've kept largely silent on this issue ...
    Glad you spoke up! What an enlightening post. I am a strong supporter of abortion rights. I am thankful to have read your experience.
    You can never be safe from a government that can keep you completely safe from each other and the world. You must choose.

Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •