Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 272

Thread: Texas Senate passes sweeping new abortion restrictions[W:240]

  1. #21
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,581

    Re: Texas Senate passes sweeping new abortion restrictions

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    So if a fetus is determined to have a severe life altering defect it may be aborted in Texas at 21 weeks? I don't see any such stipulation.
    I was talking about risks to the woman. If the woman's life is in real danger, you can abort at any time. Some people try to twist stuff around to say "Well, there's a 1 in a million chance she could die from child birth, so that counts right?"

    As far as medical issues with the kid, that depends mostly on the discretion of the doctor, the woman, and the framework of the law. Personally, I'd rather be born retarded or with one arm than never born at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by alexa View Post
    yes I did BBC News - Europe's abortion rules

    most of them have various ways where by it can be done later.
    I'm going to say this a third time because you're not quite getting it. We're talking about ELECTIVE abortions. Which yes, even according to your link is 12 weeks in most of Europe.

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    What's interesting is that pro abortion rights advocates say by way of defense of abortion that the vast majority of them occur weeks before 20 weeks, so it's puzzled why 20 weeks is so objectionable. It seems like a little double speak going on.
    LOL, yeah that always cracks me up.

    "Women don't just wait around for 20+ weeks to have an elective abortion!! That's why I'm feverishly arguing for a woman's right to wait 20+ weeks for an elective abortion."
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

  2. #22
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,915

    Re: Texas Senate passes sweeping new abortion restrictions

    Quote Originally Posted by iguanaman View Post
    So if a fetus is determined to have a severe life altering defect it may be aborted in Texas at 21 weeks? I don't see any such stipulation.
    Realistically, I don't think you need to worry about this. Even if abortion were entirely illegal, there would be exceptions, and you know this.

  3. #23
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    10-29-17 @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,684

    Re: Texas Senate passes sweeping new abortion restrictions

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    What's interesting is that pro abortion rights advocates say by way of defense of abortion that the vast majority of them occur weeks before 20 weeks, so it's puzzled why 20 weeks is so objectionable. It seems like a little double speak going on.
    Most abortions are done before 12 weeks but in certain cases like the one I mentioned it might happen that a person had an abortion which with more time they would not..but more so is the possibility of wanting one because the child has serious problems some of which I think are not detectable to around 20 weeks or the Mother herself needing to have one for health reasons.
    George Monboit "Neoliberalism is inherently incompatible with democracy, as people will always rebel against the austerity and fiscal tyranny it prescribes. Something has to give, and it must be the people. This is the true road to serfdom: disinventing democracy on behalf of the elite."

  4. #24
    Sage

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Last Seen
    Today @ 05:53 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    23,375

    Re: Texas Senate passes sweeping new abortion restrictions

    Quote Originally Posted by X Factor View Post
    What's interesting is that pro abortion rights advocates say by way of defense of abortion that the vast majority of them occur weeks before 20 weeks, so it's puzzled why 20 weeks is so objectionable. It seems like a little double speak going on.
    Except in the case of severe defects in the fetus that are not diagnosed before 20 weeks. So mothers of a fetus without a brain will be forced to carry them to term with no chance of their survival. It is heartless and cruel like most "pro-lifers"

  5. #25
    Sometimes wrong

    ttwtt78640's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Uhland, Texas
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:40 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    34,656

    Re: Texas Senate passes sweeping new abortion restrictions

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    From your link, Digsbe: "Only five out of 42 existing abortion clinics meet the requirements to be a surgical center, and clinic owners say they can't afford to upgrade or relocate."

    The pro-choice concern is that this will effectively close most of the abortion clinics in Texas.

    Some details here: Issue in Texas Abortion Debate: What's an Ambulatory Surgical Center? | KUT News

    Of course, there is no reason pro-choice orgs can't begin fundraising to keep those clinics open.
    That was part of the law, increasing the required safety level of legal abortion facilities. Why is requiring a "cosmotology" license OK for hair weaving, if -gasp- they also give you a shampoo (that certainly warrants 300 hours of training!), but restrictions on the safety of abortion facilities is a bad thing?

    http://www.license.state.tx.us/cosmet/cosmetrules.htm
    “The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists to adapt the world to himself.
    Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman

  6. #26
    Guru
    Carleen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:52 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    3,619

    Re: Texas Senate passes sweeping new abortion restrictions

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    That is good to hear. The days of infanticide (let us hope and pray) are indeed numbered.
    Unfortunately limiting the number of clinics to 4 will have a disasterous effect on abortions in Texas putting back room abortions all over the state.
    "Being President doesn't change who you are, it reveals who you are"

  7. #27
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    10-29-17 @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,684

    Re: Texas Senate passes sweeping new abortion restrictions

    Quote Originally Posted by RabidAlpaca View Post
    I was talking about risks to the woman. If the woman's life is in real danger, you can abort at any time. Some people try to twist stuff around to say "Well, there's a 1 in a million chance she could die from child birth, so that counts right?"

    As far as medical issues with the kid, that depends mostly on the discretion of the doctor, the woman, and the framework of the law. Personally, I'd rather be born retarded or with one arm than never born at all.



    I'm going to say this a third time because you're not quite getting it. We're talking about ELECTIVE abortions. Which yes, even according to your link is 12 weeks in most of Europe.
    and I will say for a second time if you actually read what it says for each country, you will discover that most of them have a way whereby the woman may choose to have one after 12 weeks.
    George Monboit "Neoliberalism is inherently incompatible with democracy, as people will always rebel against the austerity and fiscal tyranny it prescribes. Something has to give, and it must be the people. This is the true road to serfdom: disinventing democracy on behalf of the elite."

  8. #28
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    36,915

    Re: Texas Senate passes sweeping new abortion restrictions

    Quote Originally Posted by alexa View Post
    Yes, it's 24 weeks in the UK
    What a horror. What your baby looks like -- 24 weeks | BabyCenter

    From the Telegraph:

    What does the latest evidence show?

    A study at one of Britain's leading neonatal units has found 71 per cent of babies born between 22 and 25 weeks gestation survived in the late 1990s. In the early 1980s that figure was one third. Abortion 24 week limit: Q&A - Telegraph

  9. #29
    Guru

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Last Seen
    10-29-17 @ 02:04 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    4,684

    Re: Texas Senate passes sweeping new abortion restrictions

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    What a horror. What your baby looks like -- 24 weeks | BabyCenter

    From the Telegraph:

    What does the latest evidence show?

    A study at one of Britain's leading neonatal units has found 71 per cent of babies born between 22 and 25 weeks gestation survived in the late 1990s. In the early 1980s that figure was one third. Abortion 24 week limit: Q&A - Telegraph
    If they did they mostly had severe defects. I know there is a lot of concern whether it is ethical to try to keep these babies alive as it obviously can be unpleasant for them and the outlook is not good.

    We actually had a situation where a woman lied about the age of her fetus so that the drs would try to save it which they did and that was one of the few that survived had no problems.
    George Monboit "Neoliberalism is inherently incompatible with democracy, as people will always rebel against the austerity and fiscal tyranny it prescribes. Something has to give, and it must be the people. This is the true road to serfdom: disinventing democracy on behalf of the elite."

  10. #30
    Engineer

    RabidAlpaca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    American in Europe
    Last Seen
    Today @ 09:46 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    14,581

    Re: Texas Senate passes sweeping new abortion restrictions

    Quote Originally Posted by alexa View Post
    and I will say for a second time if you actually read what it says for each country, you will discover that most of them have a way whereby the woman may choose to have one after 12 weeks.
    No, not electively. She may have one in certain situations for medical reasons.

    But by all means, please, quote from your link where it says "12 weeks is the elective limit, but women can just keep electively aborting after that if they want."

    Quote Originally Posted by Carleen View Post
    Unfortunately limiting the number of clinics to 4 will have a disasterous effect on abortions in Texas putting back room abortions all over the state.
    That's BS. The clinic owners just said that so they wouldn't have to pay more. Abortion is a big money business. People want abortions, and businessmen will continue to give it to them. So they have to dish out a little more capital to increase health standards. Boo hoo.
    Quote Originally Posted by LowDown View Post
    I've got to say that it is shadenfreudalicious to see the rich and famous fucquewads on the coast suffering from the fires.

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •