Page 9 of 43 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 90 of 427

Thread: Texas Senate confiscates tampons while debating anti-abortion bill [W:155]

  1. #81
    Educator
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Brookfield,Wisconsin
    Last Seen
    11-04-13 @ 08:36 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    628

    re: Texas Senate confiscates tampons while debating anti-abortion bill [W:155]

    Infanticide now. Infanticide tomorrow. Infanticide forever.

  2. #82
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Last Seen
    09-27-16 @ 12:59 PM
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    5,189

    Re: Guns Yes, Tampons NO! Welcome to Texas, Y'all!

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    Wow! I wish I had known that on July 2nd. I would not have left my pistol in the car.

  3. #83
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    re: Texas Senate confiscates tampons while debating anti-abortion bill [W:155]

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    Austin Senator and Democrat leader Kirk Watson intervened, and the DPS reversed its decision to confiscate tampons. Senate Passes Abortion Bill; Tampons Confiscated From Gallery Watchers | KUT News
    I'm glad they did. It was still retarded.

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    I don't think it probably even occurred to the mainly male DPS to think about tampons being carried around for their ordinary use--they're guys and were focused on potential projectiles.
    Then they're idiots.

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    I can't remember where I read this last night, but many women did complain, some in tears, some humiliated that others had seen their lady-products. (Why, I can't imagine.)
    With some it's probably because we still retain a lot of residual shame about our bodies, men and women both. With others, it probably felt like a monstrously unjust violation of their privacy.

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    Have you ever heard of protesters at a state capitol building carrying around jars of urine and feces? I haven't. I figure the DPS was making decisions on the fly and just removed everything that could have been a projectile. Easy to criticize after-the-fact, but none of us knows whether the DPS began confiscating tampons because the troopers saw extraordinary numbers of them--more than a woman would carry with her, say 40 rather than 3-4.
    All "on the fly" means is they made decisions without thinking. If we're going to hire security people and not expect them to have some brains and not expect them to use said brains, we should just put a bunch of monkeys in uniforms and have done with it.

    Quote Originally Posted by nota bene View Post
    Peaceful protest does not include tossing tampons (and some of them are like little pellets, BTW) at one's elected reps on the Senate floor. The Senate intended to complete its business, and the DPS was there to insure that the rules of decorum were enforced this time. I'm glad they did and before the jars of feces and urine could be used.
    I agree that it would not be appropriate for someone to chuck things at lawmakers with whom they disagree. It's even less appropriate to preemptively steal items from people that they have a legitimate right to carry unless they've been behaving badly.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  4. #84
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,626

    Re: Guns Yes, Tampons NO! Welcome to Texas, Y'all!

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    If you knew progressives as well as you think you do, you'd know how silly your argument is.

    Unlike those on the far right - liberals (and particularly progressives) don't worry so much about things that can't hurt us - like tampons and maxi-pads. Instead, we worry about things that can kill us, like loaded guns in the hands of idiots. That's what you don't get is the sheer, utter fear-driven idiocy of those who would say, "Confiscate all the women's tampons and maxi-pads that they actually use for feminine hygiene, but let's protect the second-amendment rights of those Osama-bin-Laden look-alikes and gang-bangers and insane-asylum escapees who are openly carrying their loaded guns! With LOTS of extra ammo!"

    'Stupid' is a word I use very, very seldom...but it so very richly applies here.
    It's funny I called it dead on.

    This has absolutely nothing to do with gun's or Martin/Zimmerman or any such nonsense. Par for the course.

    This is about people having a right not to be assaulted when legally gathered. The item is irrelevant, the cause is irrelevant. Go and protest, that is your right. You do not have a right to assault anyone with ANY item, period.

    The Progressive credo: Free speech! Unless we disagree with it! Don't feel bad though, you are not alone. The far right has exactly the same credo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  5. #85
    Liberal Fascist For Life!


    Redress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Georgia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:56 AM
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    93,591
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Guns Yes, Tampons NO! Welcome to Texas, Y'all!

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Manta View Post
    Unless it was a progressive legislature, then you would be raising holly hell about what an outrage it would be. Take the partisan crap someplace else.
    Yeah, it is so ****ing partisan to be outraged at seizing private property because you might inconvenience politicians. And private property that if you do need it, it is semi-important to you. And that a significant number of the women would actually have proper use for at the time. All based on an unverified and unverifiable claim. Well done defending the indefensible.
    We became a great nation not because we are a nation of cynics. We became a great nation because we are a nation of believers - Lindsey Graham
    Iíve always believed that America is an idea, not defined by its people but by its ideals. - Lindsey Graham

  6. #86
    Shankmasta Killa
    TacticalEvilDan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Western NY and Geneva, CH
    Last Seen
    08-30-15 @ 04:51 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    10,444

    Re: Guns Yes, Tampons NO! Welcome to Texas, Y'all!

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Manta View Post
    This is about people having a right not to be assaulted when legally gathered. The item is irrelevant, the cause is irrelevant. Go and protest, that is your right. You do not have a right to assault anyone with ANY item, period.
    Absolutely. So you punish people who assault others with those items, you don't steal items that people have a legitimate right to carry.
    I'm already gearing up for Finger Vote 2014.

    Just for reference, means my post was a giant steaming pile of sarcasm.

  7. #87
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,626

    Re: Guns Yes, Tampons NO! Welcome to Texas, Y'all!

    Quote Originally Posted by Redress View Post
    Yeah, it is so ****ing partisan to be outraged at seizing private property because you might inconvenience politicians. And private property that if you do need it, it is semi-important to you. And that a significant number of the women would actually have proper use for at the time. All based on an unverified and unverifiable claim. Well done defending the indefensible.
    No. If they can ban my gun from those area's they can damn well ban anything else. Welcome to my world is all I have to say.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  8. #88
    King Of The Dog Pound
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    South Florida
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    34,626

    Re: Guns Yes, Tampons NO! Welcome to Texas, Y'all!

    Quote Originally Posted by TacticalEvilDan View Post
    Absolutely. So you punish people who assault others with those items, you don't steal items that people have a legitimate right to carry.
    No. They are perfectly justified. And people were warned not to bring them. So who's fault would that be? Like bringing a lighter in the airport. They will and do take your property and keep it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moot View Post
    Benjii likes the protests...he'd be largely irrelevant without them. So he needs to speak where he knows there will be protests against him and that makes him responsible for the protests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Absentglare View Post
    You can successfully wipe your ass with toilet paper, that doesn't mean that you should.

  9. #89
    Global Moderator
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Last Seen
    @
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    37,477

    Re: Guns Yes, Tampons NO! Welcome to Texas, Y'all!

    I refuse to be outraged by tampon-confiscation, and as I've said, once women began complaining that Kirk Watson listened, the decision was reversed.

    And Black Manta is right: "This is about people having a right not to be assaulted when legally gathered. The item is irrelevant, the cause is irrelevant. Go and protest, that is your right. You do not have a right to assault anyone with ANY item, period."

  10. #90
    Professor
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Last Seen
    11-30-13 @ 07:05 PM
    Lean
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    1,293

    Re: Guns Yes, Tampons NO! Welcome to Texas, Y'all!

    Quote Originally Posted by Glen Contrarian View Post
    If you knew progressives as well as you think you do, you'd know how silly your argument is.

    Unlike those on the far right - liberals (and particularly progressives) don't worry so much about things that can't hurt us - like tampons and maxi-pads. Instead, we worry about things that can kill us, like loaded guns in the hands of idiots. That's what you don't get is the sheer, utter fear-driven idiocy of those who would say, "Confiscate all the women's tampons and maxi-pads that they actually use for feminine hygiene, but let's protect the second-amendment rights of those Osama-bin-Laden look-alikes and gang-bangers and insane-asylum escapees who are openly carrying their loaded guns! With LOTS of extra ammo!"

    'Stupid' is a word I use very, very seldom...but it so very richly applies here.
    You going to call the NFL stupid this year when a woman shows up with a box of tampons and they won't let her in the stadium?
    This is classic: "but let's protect the second-amendment rights of those Osama-bin-Laden look-alikes and gang-bangers and insane-asylum escapees who are openly carrying their loaded guns! With LOTS of extra ammo!" I've been around a long time and never heard anybody say that. Could you share with us exactly who said that and when and where they said that? Because if I didn't know any better, the only person that probably ever said anything so silly is you.

    I use the word stupid quite a lot and you know what? That's right.

Page 9 of 43 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •