Page 12 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 402

Thread: Surprise! Huge US Budget Surplus Shatters Record

  1. #111
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Surprise! Huge US Budget Surplus Shatters Record

    Quote Originally Posted by PeteEU View Post
    Thats not the reason... Households dont have a guaranteed income... countries/governments in the industrialized world do.
    That wouldn't really explain why "household budgets" are so different from government budgets since some households DO have a guaranteed income and the government's revenue is NOT fixed.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  2. #112
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Surprise! Huge US Budget Surplus Shatters Record

    Quote Originally Posted by cpwill View Post
    It is good for our economy. But it is also driven by short-term factors; it doesn't exactly put us anywhere close to even for the year.

    IOW, if we were morbidly obese, this month we actually got off the couch and walked on the treadmill for 15 minutes a day. Before going back to eating cheeseburgers. Hooray.
    Can I steal this? This is classic.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  3. #113
    Pontificator
    iliveonramen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    On a Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels
    Last Seen
    Today @ 01:21 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Very Liberal
    Posts
    9,202

    Re: Surprise! Huge US Budget Surplus Shatters Record

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    Seems to me that how it worked out was that refusing to agree on cuts meant everyone could try to take credit for cutting spending and no one had to take the blame for anything that got cut. I do remember the lefties squealing that sequestration was an awful thing that only happened because republicans wouldn't "compromise" (in other words, go along with the democrats). In fact, Obama seemed to have his knickers in a twist because sequestration was where we ended up.
    Sure that's wasn't the goal...but the debt limit deal was reached and included was cuts. It was...as usual at the last minute without time to hammer out where the cuts would happen. In place was put sequestration since it was assumed Congress would prefer to go in with a scalpel rather than a sledghammer. Ultimately...the cuts would happen...sequestration is still the worse way to do it. Using kitchen table talk speech...if you need to cut spending 300 bucks a month you probably would prefer to cut out "going out to eat" spending or "going to the movie" spending rather than a 5% cut to all your outlays regardless of importance or impact.
    “Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone.” John Maynard Keynes

  4. #114
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,321

    Re: Surprise! Huge US Budget Surplus Shatters Record

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I just told you the black turnout won't be so good and the vote won't be so lopsided - And that was just one of many reasons I listed for why democrats are the ones that are worried right now. Thing is, you know it because you're a democrat. That's why you tried to derail the whole thread based on one FACTUAL statement that I made about democrats realizing they'll not get as much support from the black community without Obama as an historical "first black president" to vote for. That's not racism. That's reality. But the race card.... it's what you guys do.

    You've overplayed it. It's worn completely out.
    You maybe right that the black turnout will not be as high if the candidate was any other candidate but Hilary. We love the Clintons. If Obama didn't run I think Hilary would have still won because of the woman's vote.

    A little advice to the GOP. If you want to dilute the black vote, stop ***king around with voting rights. We still have a bitter taste in our mouth from the 50s and that is a very sensitive subject. Honestly, I think that is what hurt you guys in the 2012 election. It was a self inflicted womb because you fire up the base.

    Personally I am still shock that you guys are messing with women's right when you know the democrats are putting up the first woman presidential nominee in 2016 who is a very strong candidate. If Hilary is the democratic candidate, then you guys are going to destroyed with the women vote.

  5. #115
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Surprise! Huge US Budget Surplus Shatters Record

    Quote Originally Posted by iliveonramen View Post
    Sure that's wasn't the goal...but the debt limit deal was reached and included was cuts. It was...as usual at the last minute without time to hammer out where the cuts would happen. In place was put sequestration since it was assumed Congress would prefer to go in with a scalpel rather than a sledghammer. Ultimately...the cuts would happen...sequestration is still the worse way to do it. Using kitchen table talk speech...if you need to cut spending 300 bucks a month you probably would prefer to cut out "going out to eat" spending or "going to the movie" spending rather than a 5% cut to all your outlays regardless of importance or impact.
    I have no doubt everyone would have preferred to go in with a scalpel than a bludgeon. No way that was going to happen, though. No one wanted to be the one that voted for cuts to programs that would be used against them in the next election. "John Doe voted to cut the funding for your blah blah blah".

    Sequester solved that political problem for everyone in congress and all they had to do was pretend they were holding their grounds based on principles and honesty and they could all go home without any personal political fallout.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  6. #116
    Sage
    Fenton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Last Seen
    Today @ 02:18 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    26,305

    Re: Surprise! Huge US Budget Surplus Shatters Record

    Quote Originally Posted by Kushinator View Post
    I know this is hard for partisans to
    accept but... deficit ≠ debt.
    Yes yes of-course.

    It's the twisted reality of modern day liberal driven Fiscal rationalization.

    Any news no matter how contrived is good news.

  7. #117
    Phonetic Mnemonic ©
    radcen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Look to your right... I'm that guy.
    Last Seen
    Today @ 08:06 AM
    Lean
    Centrist
    Posts
    33,413

    Re: Surprise! Huge US Budget Surplus Shatters Record

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    I have no doubt everyone would have preferred to go in with a scalpel than a bludgeon. No way that was going to happen, though. No one wanted to be the one that voted for cuts to programs that would be used against them in the next election. "John Doe voted to cut the funding for your blah blah blah".

    Sequester solved that political problem for everyone in congress and all they had to do was pretend they were holding their grounds based on principles and honesty and they could all go home without any personal political fallout.
    I agree with this. Cuts needed to be made, one way or another. Because no one in DC seems to have any real political backbone anymore, sequestration was the only reasonable option left.
    If you claim sexual harassment to be wrong, yet you defend anyone on your side for any reason,
    then you are a hypocrite and everything you say on the matter is just babble.

  8. #118
    Professor

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Last Seen
    05-17-17 @ 03:37 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Slightly Liberal
    Posts
    1,321

    Re: Surprise! Huge US Budget Surplus Shatters Record

    Quote Originally Posted by Papa bull View Post
    It's a good sign as far as spending vs. revenue goes - at least it's a step in the right direction. It means ZIP as an economic indicator, though. That's just a bunch of pom-pom waving from folks who don't have a lot to cheer about otherwise. DOW down -2.6 points as we speak. It's been treading water all day despite this "breaking news".
    And that is something to cheer for. I'm not saying our problems are over, all I am saying is spending is starting to slow down and this is something that I would assume would bring a little smile to the GOP, especially the tea party. But I understand the politics about it. If Romney was president today and the same news came out, the GOP would be all over it saying that it was the leadership of Romney that got us turned into the right direction.

    I get it...Its all good

  9. #119
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Surprise! Huge US Budget Surplus Shatters Record

    Quote Originally Posted by rcart76 View Post
    You maybe right that the black turnout will not be as high if the candidate was any other candidate but Hilary. We love the Clintons. If Obama didn't run I think Hilary would have still won because of the woman's vote.

    A little advice to the GOP. If you want to dilute the black vote, stop ***king around with voting rights. We still have a bitter taste in our mouth from the 50s and that is a very sensitive subject. Honestly, I think that is what hurt you guys in the 2012 election. It was a self inflicted womb because you fire up the base.

    Personally I am still shock that you guys are messing with women's right when you know the democrats are putting up the first woman presidential nominee in 2016 who is a very strong candidate. If Hilary is the democratic candidate, then you guys are going to destroyed with the women vote.
    I don't think the "woman vote" is a big deal, either. Those fire-breathing feminazis that would vote based on gender are already hardcore democrats. I doubt any woman that would otherwise vote "republican" would be swayed by a female democrat. Republican woman are either pro-lifers or at the very least apathetic to the whole "women's rights" schtick. There's not that much upside due to that, in my opinion. Women who "feel oppressed" and would vote for a woman president based on the fact that she's a woman - and vote cross-party to do it..... not many of those, I think.

    Then you have to deal with the fact that misogyny is absolutely not a "white thing" and democrats may find they'll lose votes from other races because of those individuals that would never vote for a woman. I have a hunch there are some of those in the black and hispanic communities; having lived in both.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

  10. #120
    Sage
    Papa bull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Midwest
    Last Seen
    06-25-15 @ 01:35 PM
    Lean
    Conservative
    Posts
    6,927

    Re: Surprise! Huge US Budget Surplus Shatters Record

    Quote Originally Posted by rcart76 View Post
    And that is something to cheer for. I'm not saying our problems are over, all I am saying is spending is starting to slow down and this is something that I would assume would bring a little smile to the GOP, especially the tea party. But I understand the politics about it. If Romney was president today and the same news came out, the GOP would be all over it saying that it was the leadership of Romney that got us turned into the right direction.

    I get it...Its all good
    Probably would have resulted in GOP Pom Poms. IT would have still been complete crap as an economic indicator or a sign that the economy is doing better than expected. The street knows exactly what to expect from the economy and this isn't any surprise good news. It's just political talking points on parade.
    You can't reason anyone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

Page 12 of 41 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •