Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 58

Thread: New York times times: in congress gridlock and harsh consequnces

  1. #41
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,985

    Re: New York times times: in congress gridlock and harsh consequnces

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_State View Post
    I have been for that for a long time. I don't believe our system will change though.
    Because we have lost the will to change?

  2. #42
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,733

    Re: New York times times: in congress gridlock and harsh consequnces

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    Because we have lost the will to change?
    On some level...probably. More likely the Republicans and the Democrats have such a hold on the political power in Washington that they won't allow the change. Look at the barriers to entry to get a third party on the table. We had a third party candidate up for election, he was not put in front of the nation during the debates. Status quo.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  3. #43
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: New York times times: in congress gridlock and harsh consequnces

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_State View Post
    On some level...probably. More likely the Republicans and the Democrats have such a hold on the political power in Washington that they won't allow the change. Look at the barriers to entry to get a third party on the table. We had a third party candidate up for election, he was not put in front of the nation during the debates. Status quo.
    Yeah, but that's not congressional elections and I thought we were talking about the congress critters here. Third party candidates show up all the time on local, state and US congressional election ballots. They don't get picked because folks in numbers don't trust them any more than mainstream candidates. They choose the mainstream candidates because the few times they happen to be faithful they represent the folks who elected them.

  4. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: New York times times: in congress gridlock and harsh consequnces

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    I have not abandoned my faith, this is the system we have right now and we must do what we can with what we have because there is clearly no other way.

    But what I cannot understand why boehner is still speaker of the house because he clearly is a victim of his extreme caucus.

    We will have to see if the divided farm and food stamp bills pass or fail.
    The reason Boenher is still speaker of the house is the same reason Reid is still in charge of the Senate. People keep thinking that the Dem/Reps will help us. They won't. Unless people get the balls to vote other than the Dem/Reps, we will have the same thing over and over and over again. Crooks in charge.

  5. #45
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: New York times times: in congress gridlock and harsh consequnces

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    No because they have even less faith in the third party goobers. Which is saying something because they don't trust the majors as it is. And you know, it's not just the crookedness, though that's heinous - it's the way they tell us one thing to get elected and then do sommething else entirely when elected. To add insult to injury they try their best to convince us they've kept their promises.
    If you can't trust your Rep, and you can't trust his other main party oppenent and you can't trust anyone else, than we might as well pack it in and just look at our clocks and see when the end of the country is coming.

    Sinec third party folks haven't ****ed up the country like the Dem/Reps have, I would rather give them a shot than to keep getting screwed by the same Dem/Rep duopoly. Voting for either the Dem/Reps is identical to repeating the same thing time after time and expecting different results.

  6. #46
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Today @ 10:41 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,733

    Re: New York times times: in congress gridlock and harsh consequnces

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Yeah, but that's not congressional elections and I thought we were talking about the congress critters here. Third party candidates show up all the time on local, state and US congressional election ballots. They don't get picked because folks in numbers don't trust them any more than mainstream candidates. They choose the mainstream candidates because the few times they happen to be faithful they represent the folks who elected them.
    Good point, that was a little off topic.

    I agree, how can you trust a 3rd party when they have little to know track record. It is easy to go with the vanilla and vanilla bean we have had for so long.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  7. #47
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: New York times times: in congress gridlock and harsh consequnces

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    If you can't trust your Rep, and you can't trust his other main party oppenent and you can't trust anyone else, than we might as well pack it in and just look at our clocks and see when the end of the country is coming.

    Sinec third party folks haven't ****ed up the country like the Dem/Reps have, I would rather give them a shot than to keep getting screwed by the same Dem/Rep duopoly. Voting for either the Dem/Reps is identical to repeating the same thing time after time and expecting different results.
    Increasing I think this may be the end of the country, at least as we recognised it. I know it's not the country of my youth anymore.

    However, again, the reason folks don't vote third party is that, even though they don't trust the critters they elect, they do agree with the stuff they promise during campaign season. We just hope and pray there will be a few of those promises kept, and to be fair that does happen from time to time. They don't elect the third party goobers because they don't agree with the promises they make during campaign season, so any guess that they might actually be better about keeping their word is moot.

  8. #48
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 05:44 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,985

    Re: New York times times: in congress gridlock and harsh consequnces

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    The reason Boenher is still speaker of the house is the same reason Reid is still in charge of the Senate. People keep thinking that the Dem/Reps will help us. They won't. Unless people get the balls to vote other than the Dem/Reps, we will have the same thing over and over and over again. Crooks in charge.
    I thought house speakers were elected by votes from their party?

  9. #49
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: New York times times: in congress gridlock and harsh consequnces

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    Increasing I think this may be the end of the country, at least as we recognised it. I know it's not the country of my youth anymore.

    However, again, the reason folks don't vote third party is that, even though they don't trust the critters they elect, they do agree with the stuff they promise during campaign season. We just hope and pray there will be a few of those promises kept, and to be fair that does happen from time to time. They don't elect the third party goobers because they don't agree with the promises they make during campaign season, so any guess that they might actually be better about keeping their word is moot.
    How's that hoping and praying been working out for you and the country so far? If people want the status quo, keep electing Dem/Rep. If they want something different, try something different like electing third party. Nuff said.

  10. #50
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: New York times times: in congress gridlock and harsh consequnces

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    I thought house speakers were elected by votes from their party?
    My point being that people seem to like the status quo.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •