Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 58

Thread: New York times times: in congress gridlock and harsh consequnces

  1. #31
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,985

    Re: New York times times: in congress gridlock and harsh consequnces

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_State View Post
    Passing laws should not be the measure of success.
    no but it should be a measure of functionality.

    too much gridlock and for what? waiting until a election that gives one party control of the majority in both chambers?

  2. #32
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: New York times times: in congress gridlock and harsh consequnces

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    and what about the livestock producers who are suffering right now?

    what about the dairy producers?

    what about the fact that the brasilians are imposing tariffs on our goods and services because congress could not get our cotton program compliant with international trade law?

    all those things i quoted earlier? those are consequences of having the most incompetent congress in recent history.
    Congress has single digit approval ratings. The real problem? The partisan voters that don't think "THEIR" representatives are the problem.

  3. #33
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: New York times times: in congress gridlock and harsh consequnces

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    Congress has single digit approval ratings. The real problem? The partisan voters that don't think "THEIR" representatives are the problem.
    That's not true. They have a single digit rating because folks don't trust their rep/senator any more than they trust the other guy's. Doesn't matter what party they're with, they all betray the people who elect them.

  4. #34
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: New York times times: in congress gridlock and harsh consequnces

    Gridlock isn't inherently bad. However, when important things need to be done and can't it is a problem.

  5. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Last Seen
    08-29-17 @ 09:28 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian - Left
    Posts
    16,575

    Re: New York times times: in congress gridlock and harsh consequnces

    Quote Originally Posted by clownboy View Post
    That's not true. They have a single digit rating because folks don't trust their rep/senator any more than they trust the other guy's. Doesn't matter what party they're with, they all betray the people who elect them.
    If that were true, they would vote third party and we would have different people. No, I've lost faith in this country's voters and they vote the same Dem/Rep crooks in each and every time.

  6. #36
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,733

    Re: New York times times: in congress gridlock and harsh consequnces

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    no but it should be a measure of functionality.

    too much gridlock and for what? waiting until a election that gives one party control of the majority in both chambers?
    Passing laws shouldn't be a measure of functionality either. Every time a law is passed, it expands the power of the government.

    Gridlock is due to no compromise. Not compromising is due to two parties, either of which represents most of the people. Multiple parties would increase the functionality of our system. However, that is not going to happen since both parties have solidified their positions as the only two parties.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  7. #37
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,985

    Re: New York times times: in congress gridlock and harsh consequnces

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    If that were true, they would vote third party and we would have different people. No, I've lost faith in this country's voters and they vote the same Dem/Rep crooks in each and every time.
    I have not abandoned my faith, this is the system we have right now and we must do what we can with what we have because there is clearly no other way.

    But what I cannot understand why boehner is still speaker of the house because he clearly is a victim of his extreme caucus.

    We will have to see if the divided farm and food stamp bills pass or fail.

  8. #38
    Sage
    Unitedwestand13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sunnyvale California
    Last Seen
    Today @ 03:48 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    14,985

    Re: New York times times: in congress gridlock and harsh consequnces

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_State View Post
    Passing laws shouldn't be a measure of functionality either. Every time a law is passed, it expands the power of the government.

    Gridlock is due to no compromise. Not compromising is due to two parties, either of which represents most of the people. Multiple parties would increase the functionality of our system. However, that is not going to happen since both parties have solidified their positions as the only two parties.
    Then why not have a parliament style of legislature.

  9. #39
    Guru

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In a Blue State
    Last Seen
    Yesterday @ 10:39 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Libertarian
    Posts
    4,733

    Re: New York times times: in congress gridlock and harsh consequnces

    Quote Originally Posted by Unitedwestand13 View Post
    Then why not have a parliament style of legislature.
    I have been for that for a long time. I don't believe our system will change though.
    We went from sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me to safe spaces.

  10. #40
    Sage
    clownboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Oregon
    Last Seen
    08-17-16 @ 10:31 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Other
    Posts
    26,087

    Re: New York times times: in congress gridlock and harsh consequnces

    Quote Originally Posted by TheNextEra View Post
    If that were true, they would vote third party and we would have different people. No, I've lost faith in this country's voters and they vote the same Dem/Rep crooks in each and every time.
    No because they have even less faith in the third party goobers. Which is saying something because they don't trust the majors as it is. And you know, it's not just the crookedness, though that's heinous - it's the way they tell us one thing to get elected and then do sommething else entirely when elected. To add insult to injury they try their best to convince us they've kept their promises.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •