Page 89 of 182 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199139 ... LastLast
Results 881 to 890 of 1820

Thread: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

  1. #881
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    You have documented only claims about employment and manufacturing, neither of which relates to any point I made in any case.
    Bullchit, the manufacturing argument DIRECTLY countered your argument to the contrary, the employment points countered your "benefits to the poor" argument.

    Your arguments did not hold up......so sorry.




    My point was and remains that Wal-Mart serves well those downscale consumers ignored by others.
    FFS, there has always been retail targeted to lower quintile earners, Woolworths, where Walton worked, was one....as was TG&Y, Woolco, FedMart, KMart, Target.....






    Self-styled "progressives" sacrifice the interests of those downscale consumers in order to thump their own chests about their superior social consciences. Hypocrisy in full flower.
    Um, the interests include employment both in retail and manufacturing.....and you lost those arguments.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  2. #882
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    A nonsequitur, again, if you have no job by being displaced from a walmart, what price they offer is pointless.
    Having no job is different from having no money, as you should know. Low income would be those working on minimum wage or collecting assistance of some sort. Walmart, and these type of outlets, clearly have a place in the economy.

    What is your realistic alternative?

  3. #883
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    And you know this how?
    You still don't get it, that was never my argument to prove...it was yours......and now you don't care....yet you are still trying to argue the point on bribery.

    Round and round...
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  4. #884
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,840
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Bullchit, the manufacturing argument DIRECTLY countered your argument to the contrary, the employment points countered your "benefits to the poor" argument.

    Your arguments did not hold up......so sorry.




    FFS, there has always been retail targeted to lower quintile earners, Woolworths, where Walton worked, was one....as was TG&Y, Woolco, FedMart, KMart, Target.....






    Um, the interests include employment both in retail and manufacturing.....and you lost those arguments.
    You will do well so long as you keep your own score. Your claims about our discussion are as baseless as your documentation of claims.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  5. #885
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Canada, Costa Rica
    Last Seen
    05-16-16 @ 09:45 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    31,645

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    A cynic is a person who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing.
    Oscar Wilde should get credit for this observation but you've dropped the quote where it doesn't belong.

  6. #886
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by Grant View Post
    Having no job is different from having no money
    Uh.....huh.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  7. #887
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,840
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    You still don't get it, that was never my argument to prove...it was yours......and now you don't care....yet you are still trying to argue the point on bribery.

    Round and round...
    Odd, I don't see Wal-Mart mentioned here.

    These are the top five business bribes in U.S. history.

    Kellogg Brown & Root
    This company, now known as KBR, Inc., was spun off from a subsidiary of Halliburton. It is one of the largest engineering and construction firms in the world and has been connected to large U.S. military contracts. According to the New York Times, in 2009, the Department of Justice charged the company with offenses under the FCPA, including paying hundreds of millions of dollars to secure a natural gas plant construction contract to Nigerian officials. KBR pleaded guilty, as did its CEO Albert Jack Stanley, and paid $402 million in fines, as well as $177 million to the SEC. Stanley was sentenced to 2.5 in prison, beginning in 2012.

    Siemens AG
    Foreign companies that do business onshore in the U.S. also fall under the provisions of the FCPA. According to reports from the New York Times and the SEC, Siemens AG, a German engineering firm, ran afoul of the law in 2008 when it was charged for paying $16 million to the president of Argentina to secure a contract for making Argentinean identity cards. The contract was worth $1 billion to Siemens AG. In total, the company was accused of paying more than $100 million in total to government officials. Eight former employees and contractors continue to face charges in the scheme. Siemens settled with the Department of Justice and paid $1.6 billion in fines in the U.S. and Germany.


    BAE Systems
    The British aerospace company has been under investigation by British authorities since 1989, making it one of the longest fraud investigations in history. The main concern surrounded a deal between Britain and Saudi Arabia to supply fighter jets. The investigation spread to BAE's dealings in South Africa, Tanzania, Chile, Romania, the CzechRepublic and Qatar. The investigation focused on payments made by BAE through a "go-between" company to foreign officials. The British version of the Department of Justice dropped most of the investigations, citing national security concerns, but U.S. authorities picked up the ball in 2007. According to the Telegraph, BAE settled with U.S. courts and paid a $400 million fine.

    Kerry Khan and Michael Alexander
    Individuals can also find themselves charged for bribery and fraud. According toe Lubbock Online, in October 2011, two U.S. Army Corps of Engineers employees were arrested and charged with fraud for taking kickbacks, estimated at over $20 million. Kerry Khan and Michael Alexander are accused of taking bribes from contractors in exchange for being awarded lucrative government contracts, and of inflating invoices to the government and skimming the difference. Khan and Alexander remain in jail pending trial and face maximum sentences of 25 to 40 years.

    Alcatel-Lucent SA
    At the end of 2010, Bloomberg reported that Alcatel-Lucent, the largest landline phone network company in the world, settled its bribery case with the Department of Justice in 2010 by agreeing to pay $137 million, including $45 million to the SEC. The case revolves around a complex series of money transfers between shell companies and to consultants, resulting in payments being made to foreign officials. Alcatel-Lucent admitted to making improper payments in many African and South American companies.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

  8. #888
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    You will do well so long as you keep your own score. Your claims about our discussion are as baseless as your documentation of claims.
    Look who is running!

    Mr. Idon'tcare.
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  9. #889
    Sage
    Gimmesometruth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    US Southwest
    Last Seen
    09-13-17 @ 10:22 AM
    Gender
    Lean
    Liberal
    Posts
    22,405

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hays View Post
    Odd, I don't see Wal-Mart mentioned here.
    Wait...your previous standard was retail.

    Are these retail?

    No.

    But..you don't care....and yet you still are trying to make an argument.....and you can't even remember your OWN ARGUMENT!
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble13 View Post
    If you wanna know why Trumpsters are ignoring you its for the same reason you ignored the KKKs complaints about Obama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderate Right View Post
    When it comes down to it, all facts are cherry picked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhisattva View Post
    He didn't say it didn't make sense. He said it is complete nonsense.

  10. #890
    Traveler

    Jack Hays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Williamsburg, Virginia
    Last Seen
    Today @ 06:49 PM
    Gender
    Lean
    Independent
    Posts
    54,840
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Walmart says it will kill plans to build 3 new stores if DC wage bill passes

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimmesometruth View Post
    Look who is running!

    Mr. Idon'tcare.
    The descent into incoherence is complete.
    "It's always reassuring to find you've made the right enemies." -- William J. Donovan

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •